What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac has a n open letter to be read on air...

What Mac fails to mention is that his football team improved in it's second year. They won one game the third year, but I believe that he had about 5 games that were very close and they just about won. The year after that they started to take off. The difference is that Mac's teams were improving every year, you could see it on the field. And Mac knew how to run a practice. Embree was just not ready to coach this team, and I am kind of pissed that his supporters just expect the rest of Buff nation to sit around and wait for him to figure out how to be a head coach.

I guess Mac had a change of heart from earlier this year.

Sept, 2012. After the Fresno State Loss:

"This isn't going to get easier, it's going to get harder this year," McCartney said. "I say to all the Colorado Buffaloes out there: Circle the wagons. Let's close ranks. Let's stand with these guys. Let's believe in them. Let's believe in the president. Let's believe in the athletic director. Let's believe in the head football coach, as well as all the other coaches. Let's stand with them."

I guess the Rah Rah stuff only works when you get your way...

So let me get this straight. Coach Mac is crazy and should go away? None of us has contributed what he has to CU football. Whether you agree with him or not, some of this criticism is out of hand.

He's always been crazy, but yes, now he should go away.

I think Mac is coming from, as Nik stated, that he warned Bohn that the first couple of years were going to be, not just bad, but really, really bad. He wanted to fall on the sword as HC while Embree and EB learned as coordinators. Mac truly believes Embree can be a great HC. He felt like Bohn didn't listen to him or, possibly, even show him respect. He believes Bohn threw Embree under the bus. And Bohn has a lot of blame in this. He set Embree up to fail. That is where he is coming from and the reason for his upsetness.

My problem is that I believe Embree would have been given a pass even for a very bad season. But Sac St., CSU, Fresno St. and all of the other variables we have discussed ad nauseum provided a way too compelling argument that Embree was not going to turn this thing around anytime soon, if ever. So I feel badly for Bill. His heart is in the right place but his reasoning is misplaced.

I think Mac is coming from, as Nik stated, that he warned Bohn that the first couple of years were going to be, not just bad, but really, really bad. He wanted to fall on the sword as HC while Embree and EB learned as coordinators. Mac truly believes Embree can be a great HC. He felt like Bohn didn't listen to him or, possibly, even show him respect. He believes Bohn threw Embree under the bus. And Bohn has a lot of blame in this. He set Embree up to fail. That is where he is coming from and the reason for his upsetness.

My problem is that I believe Embree would have been given a pass even for a very bad season. But Sac St., CSU, Fresno St. and all of the other variables we have discussed ad nauseum provided a way too compelling argument that Embree was not going to turn this thing around anytime soon, if ever. So I feel badly for Bill. His heart is in the right place but his reasoning is misplaced.

I love you, man!!

How the hell does DBT have the most succinct and most reasonable post on this subject?

First, the president of the university says football is important, and is committing publicly to supporting the program, now DBT has a post like this, I'm starting to actually worry the Mayans were right...

Mac had his chance to be head coach for as long as he wanted here but he walked away from the program.

Mac had his chance to be head coach for as long as he wanted here but he walked away from the program.
He had put coaching ahead of his family. His wife was in bad shape mentally and physically. She needed him. If any man can't respect that, then, well....

He had put coaching ahead of his family. His wife was in bad shape mentally and physically. She needed him. If any man can't respect that, then, well....

how do you know that? Just curious. I never heard that before.

how do you know that? Just curious. I never heard that before.
I thought it was pretty common knowledge. His wife was having some medical issues at the time, and he has said in numerous interviews that he was putting football ahead of his family, and that it was like an alcoholic with booze: he couldn't just "cut back on football" he had to quit.

I don't think anyone really is blaming Mac for stepping away back in 94. The point is, things happen and you don't meet your contractual obligations. Mac had some real life issues take him away. Bohn was forced to make a move because he didn't see the contract being held up by Embree. It is what it is. Contracts are constantly being bought out in college football.

that's why there's a "buyout clause," it's not indentured servanthood.

Doesn't change the fact that he walked away from the program. I'm sure he did the right thing for his family, but he also gave up the right to make decisions for this program.

Am I the only one who actually LOL'd when he talked about Bohn being on board with hiring a "brother" (as in black man)?

So he didn't have time to coach, but all the time in the world for promise keepers?

"Let the name of Coach Mac be stricken from every book and tablet. Stricken from every pylon and obelisk of CU. Let the name of Coach Mac be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of man, for all time."

Doesn't change the fact that he walked away from the program. I'm sure he did the right thing for his family, but he also gave up the right to make decisions for this program.
Clearly, Mac garnered an awkward role in the program. He is revered by many but is a pain to the current AD. Many cant let go of the "glorious" past. But we are almost paralyzed by it. Everyone needs to move on and let the current admin do it their way. That is what they gets paid for.

I wanted JE gone. I guess that makes me a racist, right Mac?
You were once great, but now you are an ass and a joke. Please fade away.

I'll tell ya. I'm really in the middle on Mac. I love the guy. I've heard him speak and been inspired. I share his faith. I hate seeing posts demeaning him. He deserves better. But I disagree with him and believe he is hurting the program that gave so much to him. Thousands of Buffs revere him yet he seems to be accusing CU of being racially motivated. Mac, that is just not true. We all wanted Jon to succeed.

Mac, please retreat on this and consider the impact of your words.

Back