What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac success at SJSU....and non-P5 Head Coaches

Not really relevant to the conversation, but Peterson stayed at Boise because he was named head coach.

I'd bet McElwain had a little bit better budget for assistant coaches than our Mac did. That said, our staff budget is middle of the pack in the Pac, so "budget" should not be an excuse.

Not really relevant to the conversation, but Peterson stayed at Boise because he was named head coach.
Actually - it is. It was well known (especially in Boise circles) that Hawk was going to bring Peterson with him to CU when he interviewed for the job. However, no sooner than was Hawk announced, Boise immediately offered Peterson the job, he accepted, and Hawk's grand plan to cover his six went down in flames. Boise St. fans had had enough of his shtick, knew where the actual success resided, got the coach they wanted and were more than happy to let the Hawk fly the coop.

How do you figure Wilcox? He didn't come back to Boise until 2006, after Hawkins had left.

Either way, I guess it's up to the HC to understand who he should bring tot he next level and who he should replace. Hawk left everybody at Boise (or maybe they chose to stay?) and failed at CU. Mac brought everybody and is failing at CU.

You look to be right on Wilcox i canT find data on earlier coaches.

Hawk was expected to bring most of that staff with him but when they offered Peterson the HC gig it shattered those plans and we got who we did.

Riddle is back at Boise coaching.

One guy we got to come over and subsequently lost was Grimes, that was another issue under hawk as we lost people we replaced them with inferior coaches.

You look to be right on Wilcox i canT find data on earlier coaches.

Hawk was expected to bring most of that staff with him but when they offered Peterson the HC gig it shattered those plans and we got who we did.

Riddle is back at Boise coaching.

One guy we got to come over and subsequently lost was Grimes, that was another issue under hawk as we lost people we replaced them with inferior coaches.
Grimes did not come from Boise - he came from BYU to replace the coach who went back to Boise.

Do you think the Hawkins era would have been better at CU, had he brought his entire staff from Boise (hypothetically assuming that was a possibility)?

It really just depends on "who the guys are". To say that a staff can't come from the MAC or WAC or MWC and have success at P5 level is just not supported. Guys have come from all levels and done great.

The reason Hawkins didn't bring his guys is they didn't believe in him enough to come. They stayed behind with Chris Peterson.
THAT answers THAT question!

Hate to state it, but Sparkles is for real and MikeMac is not.

tumblr_lmfevv2JaI1qzchai.jpg

Ultimately, there isn't a formula for spotting the right coach. Preferably, you'd like to see a coach that was successful for a longer stretch at a school over multiple recruiting cycles (I.e Jim Tressel at Youngstown State) or a coach that was successful at multiple stops (I.e Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, then Utah, before Florida, now tOSU). Then they're are guys like Art Briles, who was a head coach successfully at Houston short term before taking the worst job in America at the time (Baylor).

On paper, Hawkins wasn't a bad hire. Resume wise, Mac was maybe a little riskier, although don't forget he was a national assistant coach of the year before SJSU. Embree was a terrible hire that was graded an F or D by just about every publication in America (FWTW).

Ultimately, there isn't a formula for spotting the right coach. Preferably, you'd like to see a coach that was successful for a longer stretch at a school over multiple recruiting cycles (I.e Jim Tressel at Youngstown State) or a coach that was successful at multiple stops (I.e Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, then Utah, before Florida, now tOSU). Then they're are guys like Art Briles, who was a head coach successfully at Houston short term before taking the worst job in America at the time (Baylor).

On paper, Hawkins wasn't a bad hire. Resume wise, Mac was maybe a little riskier, although don't forget he was a national assistant coach of the year before SJSU. Embree was a terrible hire that was graded an F or D by just about every publication in America (FWTW).
I would also add, if an assistant then someone who has been a coordinator under a superior coach. Neuheisel, Hawkins, Embree had never been coordinators. Also someone who has recruiting chops.

I would also add, if an assistant then someone who has been a coordinator under a superior coach. Neuheisel, Hawkins, Embree had never been coordinators. Also someone who has recruiting chops.

You've mentioned the importance of a good coaching tree before. Looking at MacIntyre's past he has some good tenure, no?

In retrospect, we should have hired McElwain or Venables back in 2011 instead of Embree. We desperately need a coach who has been a coordinator at a Big Boy program.

SD Buff - you're one of the posters I most respect on the boards, and I really appreciate your posts. So, it sucks to see you're off the bandwagon with MM too. I'm still really hopeful that he's one that can get us back. Fwiw - former players definitely aren't against him like they were Hawkins...not that says a whole lot since they liked Embree.

Back