What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac will be back !!!

GetTuffBuffs

I know a couple people that work in Dal Ward and there is a lot of talk about if hawk starts the season loosing to CSU and struggles in the other OCC games Hawk is out and Mac is back. The plan would be for Mac to come in for 2 or maybe 3 years and try to restore this program.

I think that is a great plan in the iterim. IF we start off badly, it would be better to make a change sooner than later. Now, as to having Mac come in for a predesignated "2 or 3 years", I'm not sure if that would be a good plan or not depending on who is out there.

They should announce it at the post game press conference as soon as CU loses to CSU, dont even let the Hawk finish the game at half time tell him to pack his bags.

This rumor popped up about 6 weeks ago. I think it was kind of discredited at the time, but it seems to be getting legs again. No idea whether it's more than wishful thinking or not.

Ya, sounds like wishful thinking. For years I've wanted Mac become our AD. Having him involved in *any* way is beneficial.

This rumor popped up about 6 weeks ago. I think it was kind of discredited at the time, but it seems to be getting legs again. No idea whether it's more than wishful thinking or not.

The more I've thought about it in the past 6 weeks, the more the initial excitement has worn off for me. This idea is not growing on me. I'm afraid it's looking backward instead of forward.

If this were to happen, it would have to be very carefully structured. What do we tell recruits when our coach is only an interim guy? Do we name a guy like Embree as the "Head Coach In Waiting" despite the recruiting restrictions that would be placed on him?

Then there's the history of failure when programs try to recapture former glory by making a homer hire. There are the issues I've personally seen with older men trying to do it again in a new company after they've been out of the game for a while, business conditions have changed, and most of their personal network has moved on (or even retired).

Part of me likes this and gets excited. But part of me is very leery.

Best thing for the program would be if Hawkins wins the Big 12 this year and puts all of the hot seat talk to rest.

Why wait, lets do this NOW! :smile2:

Seriously though, I'm not buying into this. It's a nice idea, but I believe it to simply be a rumor.

The more I've thought about it in the past 6 weeks, the more the initial excitement has worn off for me. This idea is not growing on me. I'm afraid it's looking backward instead of forward.

If this were to happen, it would have to be very carefully structured. What do we tell recruits when our coach is only an interim guy? Do we name a guy like Embree as the "Head Coach In Waiting" despite the recruiting restrictions that would be placed on him?

Then there's the history of failure when programs try to recapture former glory by making a homer hire. There are the issues I've personally seen with older men trying to do it again in a new company after they've been out of the game for a while, business conditions have changed, and most of their personal network has moved on (or even retired).

Part of me likes this and gets excited. But part of me is very leery.

Best thing for the program would be if Hawkins wins the Big 12 this year and puts all of the hot seat talk to rest.

:yeahthat:

I love what Mac has done for the Buffs but it would be a mistake to bring him back.

anyone know what mac's relationship is like with the current players? is he around? do they respond to him?

Mac would equal Talkins win total in 2 years.

Probably. But I think it's also likely that Hawk will win more games in the next 2 years than he did in his first 4. Certainly if he doesn't we're going to need a new coach. I'm just not sure that Mac's the right call. I'll need Bohn to sell me on that one and I'll need to see a very well thought out plan / structure in place for how it will work.

I liked the idea few weeks ago, but not so much anymore. He has been out of the game for too long imo. It also feels like with the move to the Pac we have a lot more money to spend on a coach (not sure if this is actually true when the payout fees and such are factored in). I just think that there's a lot of good candidates for us to hire if Hawk fails this year.

I'd be fine with interim for the season, but we should do a full on coaching search during and after if we end up firing Hawk. I don't much like the idea of two or three years. Finish the season, then get a new coach in here to start us out in the Pac-12.

Isn't there a great coach for Boise State that could be had for the right price?

Just saying, Hawkins had his contract extended, so he should be kept until after the season ends 1 minute after the Nebraska game. Seems to me the contracted partners are already going down that road, and have been when his contract was extended for no good reason last year.

Then a great long term coach can be acquired.

Thoughts?

Good luck in the 12-Pac!

Isn't there a great coach for Boise State that could be had for the right price?

Just saying, Hawkins had his contract extended, so he should be kept until after the season ends 1 minute after the Nebraska game. Seems to me the contracted partners are already going down that road, and have been when his contract was extended for no good reason last year.

Thoughts?

Good luck in the 12-Pac!

Hawkins wasn't extended last year. He just wasn't fired.

Reports we're getting are that patience will not extend for a full season if we start 2010 like we did 2009.

SKFDNGDOFTHLEWO.20060914225726.jpg

Thoughts?

Good luck in the 12-Pac!

Not sure what you are saying, but there is no way on earth Bohn would go back to Boise for Petersen no matter how great a coach he is.

I liked the idea few weeks ago, but not so much anymore. He has been out of the game for too long imo. It also feels like with the move to the Pac we have a lot more money to spend on a coach (not sure if this is actually true when the payout fees and such are factored in). I just think that there's a lot of good candidates for us to hire if Hawk fails this year.
:iagree:
I love Mac, a huge Mac fan. As a coach and a man he gets full marks from me. That being said, I also think he's not the right guy to throw into this mess that Hawk made. It's going to take a ton of energy and hard work to turn around the disaster that CU football has become and I think that Mac is a little to long in the tooth to jump into the middle of such a difficult fray. Mac has earned his Heach Coach Emeritus status and doesn't need to slop around the the muck trying to fix CU football anymore. I'd like to see him continue as a coaching mentor to whatever new coach the administration picks to do the dirty work needed to turn our program around.

PS, If you ever get a chance to go hear Mac speak, about anything, do it. He is phenominally charismatic in person. You won't be dissapointed.

1. it would work
2. it doesn't have legs, it's wishful thinking right now. Could it happen? Sure. Has anyone discussed this with Mac? Highly unlikely.

Let's just destroy CSU and win 10 games and move on!

Back