What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac will be Vic's guest on News 4 at 6:30

What we kind of lose sight of is that Jay Mac was the 8th rated signee by Rivals out of a class of 21 guys. Completely legitimate signee who is likely to be productive as a RS-freshman. If we weren't all still suffering from PHSD (Post Hawkins Stress Disorder), we wouldn't have made much of this signing other than it being a good sign that HCMM is committed to staying here long-term.

He was on par with caliber of recruit for his class, but I think there would be pure outrage here if he was given a scholarship in the '16 cycle.

Not from those that saw him play.
The real question is who doesn't come as a result of him being here. what kid played into college and didn't experience daddy ball? It is being used against us. And yes I watched the film.

This interview demonstrates why it was a mistake. Rather than talking about his pro prospects on o line or D back, he's talking about what a great kid his son is.

Last edited:
The real question is who doesn't come as a result of him being here. what kid played into college and didn't experience daddy ball? It is being used against us. And yes I watched the film.

This interview demonstrates why it was a mistake. Rather than talking about his pro prospects on o line or D back, he's talking about what a great kid his son is.
None. JMac is a slot receiver. Your argument could hold water if he played QB.

It's perfectly legit for a faction of the fan base to oppose nepotism in recruiting, no matter what the talent level may be for the son.

It's an American value for men to make a name for themselves on their own merits, absent help from daddy.

Even the appearance of a conflict of interest, real or perceived, is going to have negative consequences.

That said, what's done is done. One way or the other, this is part of the MacIntyre family legacy.

The wisdom of this decision will be clear enough in the next few years.

Until Jaymac and HCMM prove otherwise, the decision is a mistake to my way of thinking.

It's perfectly legit for a faction of the fan base to oppose nepotism in recruiting, no matter what the talent level may be for the son.

It's an American value for men to make a name for themselves on their own merits, absent help from daddy.

Even the appearance of a conflict of interest, real or perceived, is going to have negative consequences.

That said, what's done is done. One way or the other, this is part of the MacIntyre family legacy.

The wisdom of this decision will be clear enough in the next few years.

Until Jaymac and HCMM prove otherwise, the decision is a mistake to my way of thinking.

To the bold -- agreed. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. There is also a perfectly legit faction of the fan base that would be super pissed if one of coaches had a son who could help the Buffs win and had him go play for someone else.

To the bold -- agreed. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. There is also a perfectly legit faction of the fan base that would be super pissed if one of coaches had a son who could help the Buffs win and had him go play for someone else.

Exactly, if Jay Mac had gone elsewhere someone on the board would say it was evidence that HCMM was not invested in the program and didn't plan on being here long. Damned if you do...

Last edited:
I think people should calm down until they see him on the field. All reviews have been positive so far, especially with catching the ball which seems to be a problem for some of the other receivers.

And there's the rub.

None. JMac is a slot receiver. Your argument could hold water if he played QB.
This summer I had daddy ball U thrown at me from by coaches from 5 division 1 schools and two NFL starters. But your right, it won't be used against us in recruiting!

This summer I had daddy ball U thrown at me from by coaches from 5 division 1 schools and two NFL starters. But your right, it won't be used against us in recruiting!
Don't go to CU because the coaches son plays 2nd string slot receiver. Seems plausible

Exactly, if Jay Mac had gone elsewhere someone on the board would say it was evidence that HCMM was not invested in the program and didn't plan on being here long. Damned if you do...

I don't recall much outrage from this faction regarding Jon Embree's or Slick Rick's sons playing at UCLA.

Bill McCartney's grandson went to LSU.

Yes, I get that there are timing issues with those examples, where the era of the coach doesn't line up with the recruitment period of the son.

Bottom line is that there is more risk and less upside when you go down the path of nepotism.

I don't recall much outrage from this faction regarding Jon Embree's or Slick Rick's sons playing at UCLA.

Bill McCartney's grandson went to LSU.

Yes, I get that there are timing issues with those examples, where the era of the coach doesn't line up with the recruitment period of the son.

Bottom line is that there is more risk and less upside when you go down the path of nepotism.

As you pointed out, those examples really aren't the same situation. The closest of your examples would be Taylor Embree and he was an unranked player out of high school, where Jay Mac was a 3-star.Of course no one made a fuss about Taylor heading to another school.

As you pointed out, those examples really aren't the same situation. The closest of your examples would be Taylor Embree and he was an unranked player out of high school, where Jay Mac was a 3-star.Of course no one made a fuss about Taylor heading to another school.

Is there a best-case scenario example on another team in the modern P5 era where a 3-star or better played for his HC father?

What role model should be rubbed in the noses of skeptics like me?

Is there a best-case scenario example on another team in the modern P5 era where a 3-star or better played for his HC father?

What role model should be rubbed in the noses of skeptics like me?

I'm not wanting to rub anyone's nose in anything. I just believe the outrage about the JayMac situation may be overblown/misplaced.

I'm not wanting to rub anyone's nose in anything. I just believe the outrage about the JayMac situation may be overblown/misplaced.

Rubbed noses aside, are there examples where this kind of thing didn't come off as bush league daddy ball?

We're living it, bruh.

Well at least your heart is in the right place, even if there aren't any examples in the history of college football that you use as a basis for your opinion.

Faith is a beautiful thing.

FWIW, now that the die is cast, we both want to see this experiment succeed.

My lack of faith stems from an absence of any compelling stories of college football coaches relying on their own flesh and blood as a recipe to win games and avoid controversy.

It it entirely situational. But for Hawkins and the horrible management of Cody and Tyler, I would have supported Jay as a Buff. But Hawk screwed that up so badly that it colored this decision.

To answer the one on the "what am I talking about" question, I coach some summer youth camps. At those, I get the daddy ball U stuff thrown at me because of my CU fandom. While it is good natured, over beers type stuff, the label is out there.

Last edited:
It it entirely situational. But for Hawkins and the horrible management of Cody and Tyler, I would have supported Jay as a Buff. But Hawk screwed that up so badly that it colored this decision.

To answer the one on the "what am I talking about" question, I coach some summer youth camps. At those, I get the daddy ball U stuff thrown at me because of my CU fandom. While it is good natured, over beers type stuff, the label is out there.

You're right, there is that perception out there. However, that perception comes from the same people who think the 2014 Buffs were a worse team than the 2013 Buffs because they only won 2 games. It's people who don't pay attention, IMO.

Kirk Ferentz's kids have played for him at Iowa

MacIntyre played for his dad at GT

Alford's kids plays for him at UCLA

Greg McDermont played for his dad at Creighton

RJ Hunter played for his dad at Georgia State

Much overreaction about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tini making some sense here.

Coach has a kid. He goes to the school where the coach is in charge and some people are going to claim favortism. Had he gone to a different P5 school people would have said that we suck so bad that the coaches own kid wouldn't come here.

He isn't a QB and he isn't an assistant coach, those are the two "danger zones" otherwise while it may get mentioned it doesn't matter.

Now if JayMac were playing in front of other kids and not producing then there would be reason to complain. If they were calling plays designed specifically to pad his stats there would be reason for concern.

On the other hand if he is doing his job, plays because he has earned it, and contributes to the team then it becomes a non-issue.

Overreaction? It's just an offseason topic. Nobody is overreacting because JMac plays at CU (stopping donations, not buying tickets, registering fireHCMM.com web sites, calling for anybody's heads.) Since when is a discussion an overreaction?

As to your post, I'm curious if you know each player's recruiting rankings, positions, years played, and team records while playing.

MM's dad got fired at Vandy and HCMM transferred to GT. (Mac's dad never coached at GT). Plus that example is pre-Internet, and pre BCS/P5. By no measure is that a good example of success.

UCLA football is an example of squandering talent. Few other schools sit inside such a great recruiting geography and have so little to show for it.

As a Buff fan, I aspire to better than Creighton and Georgia State.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seriously don't see this as an overreaction? Jay signing has been ridiculed since he signed as a nepotism move and you're continuing to try and drive that home. You're trying to drive the nepotism home, and in the process completely ignoring him as a player.

This is not a Hawkins situation. Jay isn't a QB and from all reports is a player who belongs on the field. I understand being gun shy, but this happens much more than you think it does and is not the same situation as a decade ago.

Not sure why you're slamming Creighton, his dad has won 23, 29, 28, and 27 games in his first 4 out of 5 years (lost everything this year). They're a damn good team.

Back