What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac will be Vic's guest on News 4 at 6:30

Overreaction? It's just an offseason topic. Nobody is overreacting because JMac plays at CU (stopping donations, not buying tickets, registering fireHCMM.com web sites, calling for anybody's heads.) Since when is a discussion an overreaction?

As to your post, I'm curious if you know each player's recruiting rankings, positions, years played, and team records while playing.

MM's dad got fired at Vandy and HCMM transferred to GT. (Mac's dad never coached at GT). Plus that example is pre-Internet, and pre BCS/P5. By no measure is that a good example of success.

UCLA football is an example of squandering talent. Few other schools sit inside such a great recruiting geography and have so little to show for it.

As a Buff fan, I aspire to better than Creighton and Georgia State.

Clearly you are a huge college basketball fan. :lol: :wink2:

McDermott was an All-American for Creighton hoops who pretty much carried the team as his dad built it. Alford's son is among his best players at UCLA. Tinkle's son is a top recruit for him at Oregon State. With basketball, this setup works despite a smaller roster and a lot of pressure around who is getting the minutes and shots.

Not like there's a slam dunk case to be made on this topic either way, but there is good evidence that the father-son thing can and does work at places no matter what era we're talking about. We can also find cases where it didn't work. I'd expect that since HCMM has been through it from the other side that he'd have a better perspective on how to manage it than just about any other coach. I'll be surprised if it ends up being a problem within the team or on the recruiting trail.

It it entirely situational. But for Hawkins and the horrible management of Cody and Tyler, I would have supported Jay as a Buff. But Hawk screwed that up so badly that it colored this decision.

To answer the one on the "what am I talking about" question, I coach some summer youth camps. At those, I get the daddy ball U stuff thrown at me because of my CU fandom. While it is good natured, over beers type stuff, the label is out there.
I would attribute those kinds of comment more to the Hawkins clan than the Mac clan. And if those guys really believe this, they are idots. You can tell 'em DBT said that while you guys are drinking beer together.

I see no problem with Jay being a Buff. Mac made sure he was kept out of the process as much as possible and WR is WAY different than QB, which is why Mac said he'd never consider Jay coming in as QB. With a WR, if it doesn't work out it's easier for guys behind you to pick up the slack. QBs are much higher profile (probably the most important position in any team sport) and it is much more difficult to replace a QB not working out. Mac handled this very well IMO.

To quote the bard...much ado about nothing...which kind of describes the offseason in general.

Did Scotty have a relative on the staff? I don't remember that but I don't pay much attention to the staff roles besides the big 4.

Scotty's dad played with Hawkins at UC Davis and the two families were very close. My point was that, Scotty was a 2* prospect with one D1 offer (Boise st) that he actually decommitted from to be a PWO at CU. Obviously, the bolded is what makes Jay Mac's situation a little different, but there are similarities to be drawn. One could argue that Scotty was not a Big 12 caliber WR recruit, just as some might argue that WRJM was not a Pac 12 caliber WR recruit. Hopefully Jay proves the doubters wrong, just as Scotty did.

Scotty's dad played with Hawkins at UC Davis and the two families were very close. My point was that, Scotty was a 2* prospect with one D1 offer (Boise st) that he actually decommitted from to be a PWO at CU. Obviously, the bolded is what makes Jay Mac's situation a little different, but there are similarities to be drawn. One could argue that Scotty was not a Big 12 caliber WR recruit, just as some might argue that WRJM was not a Pac 12 caliber WR recruit. Hopefully Jay proves the doubters wrong, just as Scotty did.

I don't know if anyone has any issues with that type of situation. (I guess I do with the Broncos QB situation but I can admit I'm being a bit ridiculous with that.)

Scotty also had some baggage that kept other teams at bay. Without those issues he might have been slightly recruited more.

I don't know if anyone has any issues with that type of situation. (I guess I do with the Broncos QB situation but I can admit I'm being a bit ridiculous with that.)

Scotty also had some baggage that kept other teams at bay. Without those issues he might have been slightly recruited more.

Yeah I was seriously just curious if that had ever been mentioned around here with McKnight. He obviously belonged at CU, just as Jay Mac may prove out as well.

@ Tini. Nope, seriously not an overreaction, unless that word has recently changed its meaning.

@ Nik. I'm not as big a BB fan as some. Self putting his son on the roster at KU is an example of selfishness. If you are going to expand outside of football, might I suggest the Bourbon blood line of French royalty, or the Bush family political dynasty? Do you think James Murtoch will run Newscorp as well as Rupert?

This country was founded on opposition to nepotism, no matter how much that offends the silver spoon crowd.

I recommend we settle this debate by agreeing that people are pretty entrenched in their opinions on this subject. This is just going to be one point where members from the credence Clearwater revival faction can agree to disagree with the fortunate ones and the senator's sons.

The story will play out soon enough.
-

@ Tini. Nope, seriously not an overreaction, unless that word has recently changed its meaning.

@ Nik. I'm not as big a BB fan as some. Self putting his son on the roster at KU is an example of selfishness. If you are going to expand outside of football, might I suggest the Bourbon blood line of French royalty, or the Bush family political dynasty? Do you think James Murtoch will run Newscorp as well as Rupert?

This country was founded on opposition to nepotism, no matter how much that offends the silver spoon crowd.

I recommend we settle this debate by agreeing that people are pretty entrenched in their opinions on this subject. This is just going to be one point where members from the credence Clearwater revival faction can agree to disagree with the fortunate ones and the senator's sons.

-

I think you're exaggerating the scope of this, just a touch.

It's an overreaction when you're driving his signing home as another sign of nepotism. Whenever Jay is brought up, it's almost entirely to discuss nepotism. I would consider that an overreaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-

You've seriously got a problem with Tyler Self being a walk-on at KU? I don't think he even got on the court last year. Same question with Corey Haith (walk-on at Mizzou)? Is this just some inflexible opinion of yours that family members should never work together? Is there a level here where it matters or is it a problem if a parent coaches a kid's elementary school level sports team?

P.S. Regarding America being founded in opposition to nepotism, I think it might be appropriate to point out the case of Founding Father (and 2nd President) John Adams... whose son (John Quincy Adams) was elected as our 6th POTUS.

P.S. Regarding America being founded in opposition to nepotism, I think it might be appropriate to point out the case of Founding Father (and 2nd President) John Adams... whose son (John Quincy Adams) was elected as our 6th POTUS.

Roosevelts, Bushes, and possible 3 Clintons too.

I would attribute those kinds of comment more to the Hawkins clan than the Mac clan. And if those guys really believe this, they are idots. You can tell 'em DBT said that while you guys are drinking beer together.
I agree it doesn't matter what the coach or NFL player thinks. What matters is what the 17 year old he's saying it to thinks. And that is recruiting. It is the exception when a player and their mother understands the nuances of a program under development. Unfortunately they do understand daddy ball. This is detrimental and I'll get off my soap box.

IDK if JayMac is any good or not. I am glad he isn't a QB.

There is no good way to handle the father coach/son player dynamic...it never looks quite right, and the higher the competitive level, the harder it is. I, like others here I am sure, have coached little league or what have you with your sons, no matter what you do, some are going to grumble. The best solution I could come up with in LL and pitching (my son pitches) was to simply opt out and let the other two coaches decide on pitchers. Still, some looked at me oddly when he took the mound, I can only imagine it is about a gazillion times worse at the D1 level.

If I were MikMac, I would be telling JayMac do your best, but if you eff up off the field I am going to go ballistic.

Unless and until JayMac is seeing PT over someone who looks better at WR, to me it is a non-issue. It is not like CU has the WR corps they had 20 years ago.

There's no real good way to handle the dynamic?

Yeah...disagree big time

There's a great example on this page or the last about Creighton and how they handled it. You said there is no good way, I'd argue they handled it very well.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

It's an overreaction when you're driving his signing home as another sign of nepotism. Whenever Jay is brought up, it's almost entirely to discuss nepotism. I would consider that an overreaction.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

By Tini's definition, an overreaction is asserting an opinion multiple times on a subject with which he does not agree.

The reflexive property means that every post of Tini's to my post is also an overreaction.

Of course there's going to be talk about nepotism instead of JMac's playing ability. Most CU fans have not seen him play since his HS videos, and with practices being closed, there's not much to be said about what he brings to the team in a game situation.

Someday, 'Tini may learn that civilized people may agree to disagree.

Today isn't that day.

In other notes -
Now Nik has me crossing my fingers Tad Boyle brings sons Jack and Pete onto the BB roster when the time is right, because Creighton.

And please, please, please let Jay MacIntyre be CU's version of Brian Ferentz. This is our model of hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it doesn't matter what the coach or NFL player thinks. What matters is what the 17 year old he's saying it to thinks. And that is recruiting. It is the exception when a player and their mother understands the nuances of a program under development. Unfortunately they do understand daddy ball. This is detrimental and I'll get off my soap box.
Find a recruit that we lost to JMac being on the team. Your argument is empty.

Yeah. Didn't he hold off on accepting the Jay Mac commitment until NSD? This was managed as a "we'll sign him if there is room in the class, but if someone else we were hoping for sends in commitment paperwork the guy who gets bumped is Jay". I'm not saying that it's perfect and that there wasn't any backing off of some guys since CU had Jay in its back pocket, but it sure seems like they did all they could to do it the right way. HCMM was absolutely prepared for Jay to decide he wanted to play QB and end up somewhere else.

Don't forget the concession where the MacIntyre family funded a woman's lacrosse scholarship as a token to smooth over the raw nerve that comes with bringing Jay on board.

HCMM is addressing this potentially prickly situation as best he can.

And Now I'm reaching

And I present a list of every four and five star receiver in America for the last two years of which we signed zero. On the heels of putting P Rich in the NFL with an underclassman QB, you could make an argument that the line should be long for guys wanting to come to CU, thrive under Macs O and step into the NFL in two years.:nod:

And I present a list of every four and five star receiver in America for the last two years of which we signed zero. On the heels of putting P Rich in the NFL with an underclassman QB, you could make an argument that the line should be long for guys wanting to come to CU, thrive under Macs O and step into the NFL in two years.:nod:

You think blue chip WRs didn't sign with CU in 2014 or 2015 because of Jay MacIntyre being a rumored commit or on the roster?

P.S. Shay Fields was a 4* in the 2014 class, so your list is a bit lacking.

Back