What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac will be Vic's guest on News 4 at 6:30

JayMac is undersized for a WR and had zero film of him playing the position. Given he's the coach's son, I know I wouldn't have spent any time trying to investigate the situation if I'm another D1 staff. Too many question marks and if he's really a hidden gem, wouldn't Daddy take him? So rating services didn't have much to go on (not ideal size, no film as a WR, unknown pass catching ability, no big offers).

Could Dad have gotten him as a walk-on? Probably. But he claimed that wouldn't be fair to Jay if in fact he's deserving of a scholly. If he's going to play it completely without prejudice, then you either want the kid and are willing to offer a scholly or you are not. Agree with that, if true. If untrue, Dad did an incredible disservice to himself and his kid. And for what benefit?

I was a coach's kid. Dad was tougher on me than anyone. He would have offered me if I was clearly good enough. If I was at all in that gray area, he'd have counciled me to go to a lesser program or to walk-on and prove it, to avoid the appearance of favoritism and all the pain that goes with it.

I believe HCMM is smart enough after playing for his Dad to have made the right decision. But time will tell and this will become black and white. Until then, it's speculation since Jay has played 0 downs of football at CU.

P.S.
FWIW, he's popular with teammates. Including getting into a little trouble himself last fall with some other freshmen, that some others avoided using better judgement. He "did time" with the other offenders and Daddy wasn't ez on him.

JayMac is undersized for a WR and had zero film of him playing the position. Given he's the coach's son, I know I wouldn't have spent any time trying to investigate the situation if I'm another D1 staff. Too many question marks and if he's really a hidden gem, wouldn't Daddy take him? So rating services didn't have much to go on (not ideal size, no film as a WR, unknown pass catching ability, no big offers).

Could Dad have gotten him as a walk-on? Probably. But he claimed that wouldn't be fair to Jay if in fact he's deserving of a scholly. If he's going to play it completely without prejudice, then you either want the kid and are willing to offer a scholly or you are not. Agree with that, if true. If untrue, Dad did an incredible disservice to himself and his kid. And for what benefit?

I was a coach's kid. Dad was tougher on me than anyone. He would have offered me if I was clearly good enough. If I was at all in that gray area, he'd have counciled me to go to a lesser program or to walk-on and prove it, to avoid the appearance of favoritism and all the pain that goes with it.

I believe HCMM is smart enough after playing for his Dad to have made the right decision. But time will tell and this will become black and white. Until then, it's speculation since Jay has played 0 downs of football at CU.

P.S.
FWIW, he's popular with teammates. Including getting into a little trouble himself last fall with some other freshmen, that some others avoided using better judgement. He "did time" with the other offenders and Daddy wasn't ez on him.

If a kid is good enough to contribute, which JMac looks to be then it is only a problem if he or dad let it be a problem. Let him make a couple catches that convert big 3rd downs for us and all this stuff goes away.

All I know on this is that no one from Rivals travels to Colorado to look at players. If they don't see them at a camp, they're just going off of highlights except for any notes sent in by Adam Munsterteiger. Adam was very high on Jay Mac during the recruiting process despite having to project from QB to WR. He has been even higher on Jay Mac since he has seen him practice with the Buffs. Apparently, he has some wiggle, great field awareness and catches everything near him.

FWIW I was also very high on Jay last year. He was seemingly open on every play for the second team, never saw him drop a pass. I think it will be funny to look back on this when he becomes a fan favorite.

:nod:The times I saw Jay Mac in fall camp/scrimmages last year, he caught everything thrown his way, from what I remember. Having him and Spruce as sure handed receivers this year will do wonders on third and short/medium.

Last edited:
Back