What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacFarlane won`t return to Buffs

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Joshua Lindenstein Camera Sports Writer

First-year Colorado women`s basketball coach Linda Lappe said after Wednesday`s 73-49 triumph over Colorado State that she does not expect sophomore center Melissa MacFarlane to return to the team.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
Click here to view the article.

Lappe needs to continue the strong recruiting into the spring. Bench is way too short this year.

News bulletin ... the sun rose in the east this morning.

MacFarlane left the team after less than 2 weeks of pre-season practice and has been "on personal leave" since. After seeing her play last season and knowing Coach Lappe's intense approach to the game, this came as no surprise to me. Disappoointment....absolutely. But surprise ....NO. MacFarlane struck me as a big woman who wanted to rely solely on the fact that she was a lot taller at 6'7" than many of her opponents and not work on her game and getting better. When she faced players who were not intimidated by her height and had better skills, like many of the other Big 12 posts, she was lost on the court. As an example, she continually let herself get pushed around and out of positon so that when she got the ball she was too far under the basket to get a decent shot off. The level of effort that Lappe requires of her players was probably just too much for MacFarlane to commit to doing. That's what I find disappointing. She could have developed into a decent post player but wasn't willing to put in the hard work required to get there. Better that she left as early as she did so the coachs and team had time to work on playing without her well before the first tip-off.

News bulletin ... the sun rose in the east this morning.

MacFarlane left the team after less than 2 weeks of pre-season practice and has been "on personal leave" since. After seeing her play last season and knowing Coach Lappe's intense approach to the game, this came as no surprise to me. Disappoointment....absolutely. But surprise ....NO. MacFarlane struck me as a big woman who wanted to rely solely on the fact that she was a lot taller at 6'7" than many of her opponents and not work on her game and getting better. When she faced players who were not intimidated by her height and had better skills, like many of the other Big 12 posts, she was lost on the court. As an example, she continually let herself get pushed around and out of positon so that when she got the ball she was too far under the basket to get a decent shot off. The level of effort that Lappe requires of her players was probably just too much for MacFarlane to commit to doing. That's what I find disappointing. She could have developed into a decent post player but wasn't willing to put in the hard work required to get there. Better that she left as early as she did so the coachs and team had time to work on playing without her well before the first tip-off.
News bulletin, another unnecessary, irrelevant comment.

I quit because my heart was not in it anymore. I got to college, got to experience things outside basketball and found to love that more and that I was doing this for the wrong reasons. Someone who wanted and deserved to be there should have been there. I wasn’t about taking a free education and faking it like most people I know who do. So I did the respectful thing and left for my own sanity and the overall moral of the team to not bring that negativity into the season. Also to clarify- no nonsense approach? Try being a 6’6” athlete where you were offered a scholarship to play inside the post. Then a new coach comes in and is telling you to play a motion offense with you outside on the wing and have had no experience ever in the position. Tell me how you think you would fit in and not feel “lost”

Did you also know that I came in lifting more than anyone on the team? Probably not. I could have destroyed any post player in the Big 12/ Pac 12 but I didn’t care to. I also till this day can lift more than I did in college because I love weight lifting. No one could have stopped me and I know that about myself, so your opinion is irrelevant without knowing the whole story.

I quit because my heart was not in it anymore. I got to college, got to experience things outside basketball and found to love that more and that I was doing this for the wrong reasons. Someone who wanted and deserved to be there should have been there. I wasn’t about taking a free education and faking it like most people I know who do. So I did the respectful thing and left for my own sanity and the overall moral of the team to not bring that negativity into the season. Also to clarify- no nonsense approach? Try being a 6’6” athlete where you were offered a scholarship to play inside the post. Then a new coach comes in and is telling you to play a motion offense with you outside on the wing and have had no experience ever in the position. Tell me how you think you would fit in and not feel “lost”

Did you also know that I came in lifting more than anyone on the team? Probably not. I could have destroyed any post player in the Big 12/ Pac 12 but I didn’t care to. I also till this day can lift more than I did in college because I love weight lifting. No one could have stopped me and I know that about myself, so your opinion is irrelevant without knowing the whole story.
My goodness! My opinions, based on what I had observed on the court during games and that I expressed on a fan opinion board, seem to have really struck a nerve 9 and a half years later!
I'm sorry that my opinions offended you Melissa.

Like that one where possibly KD Nixon called Snow out for having a small wiener?
I didn't read that thread, so I wasn't aware that happened. When I saw the title of the thread, I assumed Snow's wife had joined the board.

Did the alleged KD poster refer to himself as "Superstar"? If not, it probably wasn't him.

I love that dude, by the way (KD, not Snow).

Thanks for posting Melissa, its good to have a perspective like this around here and I know we all appreciate you telling your side. As a long time supporter of CU sports I've certainly felt like some players just weren't into it anymore and hung around too long. Their body language was telling. Good for you for recogninizing that and getting out when you did. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for you to make.

As for your claim that you could have destroyed any post player in the conference..... if you'd like us to arrange a meeting with @BeBe so you can demonstate that, we'd be happy to do so. :D:D:D:D:D

It seems like you are acknowledging that at least a portion of BeBe’s opinion was correct. That is, not having your heart in it anymore was pretty similar to her comment about the level of desire and effort needed to play under Coach Lappe. Both of you seemed to agree that you were a bit lost on the court, perhaps for different reasons (reliance on natural height versus positional changes under a new system).

In any case, I’m sure everyone here wishes you well.

I hope you stick around and offer some of your perspective on the program. We can always use additional viewpoints in the women’s basketball forum, especially from someone’s who played the game at a high level.

That second sentence says it all. You get to that point, it's time.

Back