What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre promises better football days ahead for CU

We're largely ignored by the press right now, which is probably ok, but when the program becomes relevant again bad news will be more public and the track record of this administration has been to do whatever they can to avoid bad press usually at the expense of supporting the program. At some point it's inevitable that the situation will arise again, and I'm really curious if the admin approaches it differently the next time around.

Fair point.

I understand that Benson has put his money where his mouth is in on the project and I applaud him for it. However the concern is whether or not he understands this is not a 1 time deal. There is a lot of work to be done and not even just with football.

And the mentality is that this is not a one off occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope for the sake of the program and the fan base you are correct.
None of us really know the mentality, we just speculate. Right now the winds are blowing towards sustained success, but if Benson gets a hair up his ass and the winds change, it can all change that quickly.

None of us really know the mentality, we just speculate. Right now the winds are blowing towards sustained success, but if Benson gets a hair up his ass and the winds change, it can all change that quickly.

How long is he going to remain president?

How long is he going to remain president?

giphy.gif

Basically that same article has been written about the last 3 coaches - Hawkins was here to win a Championship and Crowder and MacCartney were trotted out periodically as supporting the coach. Embree was here to bring back the glory years and MacCartney was trotted out showing support.

I hope it all works but speeches do not make it happen.

Hope barnett is right. I hope that there has been an institutional shift in thinking about football. The popular descriptor of CU as a sleeping giant is quite true. I hope HCMM is the guy to stop hitting snooze.

Not so much a sleeping giant. If it were a giant, then it is one with narcolepsy.

As soon as the giant gets good, the Boulder/CU powerful start yapping about how a good football program is frivolous and a non-essential piece of the CU academic fabric. Then political sentiment causes the football program do doze off into a state of slumber. Some folks don't like it when CU providies shiny things for teenagers. Some locals don't like football fans to disturb the peace of the fair city. Some argue that money spent of football should be going into STEM programs. Blah, blah, blah.

Then once the comatose giant starts ****ting the bed and delivers a stunning degree of ineptnitude, the boosters finally wrestle power from the academics and Boulder freaks, causing the giant to be revived with an infusion of institutional support.

The truth is that success in football does not come from a boom-bust cycle. For CU to be a true giant, the program requires focus every day, every week, every month, every year, every decade. Wake the **** up, sleeping giant. And don't ever plan on falling asleep again!

In my opinion, CU football is not a giant. It's a front porch. As such, it should be a giant front porch and a flagship front porch from now until the end of civilization. It should be the institutional equivalent of the flatirons; always prominent. Keep the lights on, too. No sleeping allowed on the front porch.

Benson and DiStefano have changed their tune from the past and maybe it is time for the haters to get on board with the change. They also realize they have a big dog in charge that doesn't need his hand held. Their best thing is to ask Rick what he needs and give him whatever he can to be successful. If this were a one time thing we wouldn't see just this project occur. They have been spilling money into athletics from the basketball team to Tennis, to skiing and all of them, so quit the half informed BS and let's gather the herd and kick some ass this year. Otherwise shed your Buffalo costume and show you are a sheep.

Why th hell should we care what Boulder thinks?

What about it? Hasn't Bouoder ALWAYS been anti-athletics and have always thought that athletic spending should cease and be transferred to academics? What effects does Boulder bitching about football have on us?

What we know about CU in football is that despite mismanagement of its football asset (and the athletic department in general) over the past 100 years with significant ebbs and flows of the university support & focus on athletics...

... CU football has still managed to have 1 or 2 seasons every decade where it was in the national spotlight. And with possibly a once-in-a-liftetime coach at the helm in McCartney, that the program went on about a decade run where things were strong enough to continue into a successor.

Based on that, I have always felt and continue to feel that the single biggest limiting factor for CU football success is and has always been CU itself.

If CU puts resources to football and culturally places value on its success, there is every reason to be that CU football is going to be one of the best programs in the western US. "Sleeping giant" is the terminology often used, but I think that more accurately it is an underfed, malnourished and sickly giant that has been tied up and caged to make sure it doesn't cause some problems if unleashed. In its history, every now and again it was able to break its chains.

Has CU decided to raise a healthy giant and unleash it? Signs are positive and if this is the case, then the future is bright.

What would probably make me feel the most confident is hearing that funding goals had been met and closed on Phase I IPF and to see a Phase II project unveiled.

What about it? Hasn't Bouoder ALWAYS been anti-athletics and have always thought that athletic spending should cease and be transferred to academics? What effects does Boulder bitching about football have on us?

No one cares about football right now. Not the anti-football crowd nor the fans. As it grows the **** will rise again and then the program will be back under the microscope. Do we have better people on charge now? Maybe. I know you were a kid 10 years ago but Gary Barnett was the original Jon Snow. And the nights watch consisted of Boulder and the Regents.

Last edited:

I think Boulder is the opposite of anti-athletics.

But it can be fickle on football.

Ultimately, it takes a community to support and sustain a team. The community is the foundation. We should care deeply about the support of Boulder.

The people of Boulder can either hop on the train or get left behind. I'd bet most fans live outside of Boulder anyway and I don't really get the impression that Boulder cares about CU anyway

The people of Boulder can either hop on the train or get left behind. I'd bet most fans live outside of Boulder anyway and I don't really get the impression that Boulder cares about CU anyway

I think the local shops have a pretty big interest in CU's success.

I've been a Buff fan too long to not be skeptical of anything I hear regarding the football program. It certainly appears things are heading in the right direction...a good coach, money for assistants, new facilities. But unfortunately I've been paying attention the last decade and can't just flush all that experience down the tubes and go KoolAid gulping.

Benson and DiStefano have changed their tune from the past and maybe it is time for the haters to get on board with the change. They also realize they have a big dog in charge that doesn't need his hand held. Their best thing is to ask Rick what he needs and give him whatever he can to be successful. If this were a one time thing we wouldn't see just this project occur. They have been spilling money into athletics from the basketball team to Tennis, to skiing and all of them, so quit the half informed BS and let's gather the herd and kick some ass this year. Otherwise shed your Buffalo costume and show you are a sheep.

There is one small thing that Benson & DiStefano can do to help me turn the corner and go from a "hater" to a shill. It's called accountability.

I ask Benson & DiStefano to quit hiding behind the shadow of Bill McCartney on all things football related. I would like both leaders to show transparency in what their actions were from 2005-2011.

I want to hear them say, "we were stewards of the university and we dropped the ball. We had [x] role in the decision to prolong Hawkins/Bohn. We had [x] influence over the Embree hire. In hindsight, it's clear we didn't do things right.

Now we are in a position to make up for a past wrong. We know that the success of the football program is not in the hands of Bill McCartney. The buck stops not at Rick George, but with me. I as your [chancellor / president] will not rest well until the buffs travel to the rose bowl and bring home a P12 football championship trophy."

I am sick of having 'Tini or Digger or Tsarbomba or any other poster speaking for Benson and DiStephano. I am tired of Bill McCartney being the keeper of the faith for what CU football has been and what it can be again. I want Benson to be in George's office and at MacIntyre's recruiting luncheon whipping the CU faithful into a passionate frenzy.

Until that happens, I'll be suspicious that Benson and DiStephano are just into football for its impact on generating private funding.

I've been a Buff fan too long to not be skeptical of anything I hear regarding the football program. It certainly appears things are heading in the right direction...a good coach, money for assistants, new facilities. But unfortunately I've been paying attention the last decade and can't just flush all that experience down the tubes and go KoolAid gulping.

:nod:

i was a bartender at a sports bar when our "scandal" was happening. That might have had a lasting effect on my sunshine pumper.

That is a very Steve Patterson like way of thinking. They are part of the local community and you don't alienate those people.

DiStephano has the spine of a jellyfish. He is a guy who is very good at swaying the direction that puts him in the least risk of having somebody notice his level of incompetence. As long as Benson is interested in football being better DiStephano will go along, the minute that Benson's attention goes someplace else Dr. Phil will duck out of the way of those who oppose athletics in Boulder.

Benson has seen the impact of not taking care of the single most visible aspect of the university to the general public. Now that the Med center is for all practical purposes in the books he can and will focus his attention on restoring football. If Dr. Phil somehow outlast Benson we could see Phil push the program right over the edge to avoid conflict with his ivory tower buddies.

I think the local shops have a pretty big interest in CU's success.

I do not disagree with that, and that reason has been one of my reasons for support regarding athletic spending. But, overall I don't think the city and community like CU and the college atmosphere it brings.

I see people talking about Benson flipping his mindset, it doesn't make sense to me. He's a very successful businessman and those kind of people don't seem to me to be the people who just throw around millions without a string plan and a strong belief in he direction.

Back