What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre's path toward future employment at CU

I find the people that post the "MacIntyre is not going anywhere" as some absolute have to incredible naïve. I do not know what MacIntyre's fate is going to be at the end of the season but I do know that it is not sure thing either way. The powers that be will sit down and evaluate his future with the program at the end of the season. You cannot have a record like he has and not be concerned about your job. His being here next year is not a given.
Are they any more naive than the people who post, "If he loses the next three games, he's gone" as some absolute?

I see next season playing out like this year. Maybe 3/4 wins at most. We are losing our best receiver and have not seen anyone taking that step to take over. We will have a senior QB that still has not proven he can win. Scared the coaches will keep in as starter because he is a senior or all our back-ups are really that much further behind him. I want to see a true competition at all positions. Really need to see some kids step up next season.

I hope he has another year or two...let him use Liufau as a senior and issue in the Montez era...why not?

I'm just surprised considering the situation he inherited, and how bad we were losing every week that almost everyone doesn't think he should at least get to show what he can do when the guys he recruited are seniors (next year). We have made progress. Anyone who can't admit that isn't being honest. We have gone from having no depth and losing by 30-50 every week to having depth and having a chance to win in the last 10 minutes of most games.

I'm frustrated as hell with some things. Play calling, play design, not finishing games, dumb mistakes, etc. But I think it's only fair to give him until next year. Then if we go 5-7 and only win 1-2 conference games we can confidently say he put us in a better position than we were in when he got here but unfortunately he isn't the guy to get us over the hump. I also want to see what he can do with Montez if he is as good as people behind closed doors are saying he is.
I will be pleasantly surprised if MikMac stays AND he does not keep Sefo as the starter. He plays it safe, and I suspect he will keep Sefo because he is so experienced. If CU does not get a QB upgrade, next year will be rinse and repeat of this one.

It can't happen like this. He is gone after end of this year or he get a couple year extension. Can't fire after next year with the size of the recruiting class we will have coming in. If he is fired after next year we have a large lame duck class and we are set backwards for another 5 years. It will be interesting to see what happens...
I'd hope RG hires someone who can overcome this...should it happen. I hope it doesn't...no one wants Mac to be unsuccessful...I think many of us doubt he has the chops.

We went 2-10 and winless in conference last year, right? So yeah, I think we've seen the floor.

It is just semantics since I do not think it will happen, but 1-11 and the general trajectory of the program after losing Leavitt and some verbal commits would be a lower floor. Next year I expect about the same as this year. Four wins, but with two in conference. Three conference wins would be difficult. Four and a bowl game seems like a pipe dream to me.

I'd hope RG hires someone who can overcome this...should it happen. I hope it doesn't...no one wants Mac to be unsuccessful...I think many of us doubt he has the chops.
Remembering RG like I do, and looking a his history between his stints at CU I am sure he has a plan. RG KNOWS recruiting and the importance of it! RG will not waste the new facilities and upgrades on a lame duck coach or recruiting classes. Question is can he bring his plan to life? I think he can, I think he will. The obvious question is what part does MM play in his plan, if any at all. What big time coach has RG sent feelers out to see if they would be interested? What kind of feed back is he getting?

Remembering RG like I do, and looking a his history between his stints at CU I am sure he has a plan. RG KNOWS recruiting and the importance of it! RG will not waste the new facilities and upgrades on a lame duck coach or recruiting classes. Question is can he bring his plan to life? I think he can, I think he will. The obvious question is what part does MM play in his plan, if any at all. What big time coach has RG sent feelers out to see if they would be interested? What kind of feed back is he getting?

I'm just surprised considering the situation he inherited, and how bad we were losing every week that almost everyone doesn't think he should at least get to show what he can do when the guys he recruited are seniors (next year). We have made progress. Anyone who can't admit that isn't being honest. We have gone from having no depth and losing by 30-50 every week to having depth and having a chance to win in the last 10 minutes of most games.

I'm frustrated as hell with some things. Play calling, play design, not finishing games, dumb mistakes, etc. But I think it's only fair to give him until next year. Then if we go 5-7 and only win 1-2 conference games we can confidently say he put us in a better position than we were in when he got here but unfortunately he isn't the guy to get us over the hump. I also want to see what he can do with Montez if he is as good as people behind closed doors are saying he is.
We lost to the worst team in the Mountain West. This is not progress.

I believe we have shown some signs of getting better, we are more competitive. The question is this.... can MM get us over the hump from almost winning games to actually winning games? He has done some good things, I totally agree, your frustrations are accurate and that's on him as a head coach. As I stated before, we cant change him out after next year, that will not work.

I will be pleasantly surprised if MikMac stays AND he does not keep Sefo as the starter. He plays it safe, and I suspect he will keep Sefo because he is so experienced. If CU does not get a QB upgrade, next year will be rinse and repeat of this one.
I do agree with that. Time to roll with Montez next year and see what he can do.

IMO MM is here for another year unless we get steamrolled and you see the team start to quit. The team starting to quit on a coach at the end of a tough year can happen and it would be time to move on but I don't see that happening under MM. If we don't start winning some of these "almost" games I think he will be gone after next year. I'm like most and really want MM to succeed because he seems like a great person and obviously loves the kids and wants to see them succeed.

I'd love to see what he can do with an OL that doesn't fall apart. Stanford had the same 5 guys on the OL all season, 3 of them had played together the full previous season and a 4th that played 11 of the 12 games. We have had 6 different starting OL combinations in 6 Pac 12 games. I think with a decent line we would see a huge improvement in QB play with either Sefo or Montez.

It is just semantics since I do not think it will happen, but 1-11 and the general trajectory of the program after losing Leavitt and some verbal commits would be a lower floor. Next year I expect about the same as this year. Four wins, but with two in conference. Three conference wins would be difficult. Four and a bowl game seems like a pipe dream to me.

I tend to agree with you and this is a concern because next year will be a large recruiting class. Oregon State has a better class right now than the Buffs and there are some cracks starting to show right now. Keeping HCMM may be more dangerous to the program than letting him go IMO. I just do not see much player development under this staff yet. Maybe it will all change next year.

I believe we have shown some signs of getting better, we are more competitive...
This is my problem - we expected "considerably better" and instead are showing "some signs of getting better." I feel like it's almost a rerun of last year. There are injury issues, we won a road conference game, beat CSU in OT - but lost a couple of games badly and Sefo's strategy has focused on reducing interceptions rather than winning (this may be the strategy imposed on Sefo by the coaching staff). The lack of QB improvement parallels the lack of team improvement - marginal at best.

The point of all this - it's hard to see 2016 as more than marginal improvement. We may win 3, 4 or 5 games, but significant team progress seems unlikely. Won't be excited next August (unless there's some remarkable change the next 3 games).

And I see no chance of Sefo losing the QB job, at least not for the first few games. If we flounder early, Montez may take over, perhaps at RG's insistence, and perhaps with the general awareness that Montez has a future with the Buffs, but MM does not.

I see next season playing out like this year. Maybe 3/4 wins at most. We are losing our best receiver and have not seen anyone taking that step to take over. We will have a senior QB that still has not proven he can win. Scared the coaches will keep in as starter because he is a senior or all our back-ups are really that much further behind him. I want to see a true competition at all positions. Really need to see some kids step up next season.
Plenty of talent at wide receiver, especially with Huntley coming on board. We just need a QB that can utilize their speed.

Should be an open competition. May the best Montez win. I mean man. Would rather see redshirt freshman struggles over 4th year senior struggling again. Sefo can be back-up or transfer.

I doubt the staff will hitch their wagon to Sefo-only next year. They'll be coaching for their jobs. If Montez is as billed, I think we are going to see him.

I just hope we haven't all hyped up Montez too much.

Wazzu qb is going to light up the Buffs....embree has to privately be laughing.... We started at the same point as Wazzu and look at where the pirate has taken them. And Anderson will right the ship at OSU

I doubt Embree is pleased; he still loves CU. Same can be said for Barnett.

Yes, although we were a play away from beating UCLA, we were also two plays from losing to CSU and OSU, resulting in perhaps a 2-11 record. Not to discredit, we won 4 games and almost a fifth. Just saying the difference between last year and this year is minimal IMO, not sure comparing records is meaningful. Although beating OSU and CSU seems significant.....

This year CU lost to Hawaii, one of the worst teams in D1 football in 2015. UH fired their HC a couple weeks ago, only half way through the season. UMass is so bad they might lost to Hawaii.

Unfortunately there are still no big wins for CU as a member of the Pac-12 conference.

This is why the only way to gauge progress is through wins & losses. Nobody outside of Boulder cares how many games we "almost" won, or "almost" lost.

Yup. I understand that some might be leery to make a change at HC after this season, everybody has differing pain thresholds. But I am boggled by the staunch/absolutist supporters at this point in time.

You lost me at Hawaii.

Okay.... RG has backed HCMM stating unequivocally that HCMM will be back next year. I am not a fan of the head coach long term, but now that we have clarification, I will support him and his vision. From a concern aspect, will this mean Leavitt departs this offseason for a head-coaching gig? I hope not, his recruiting has been stellar and the Defense has shown vast improvements. What may be just as concerning was RG's alma mater opening for an AD. Today he was quoted as saying “I’d be lying if I didn’t say at one point in my life being AD at Illinois wasn’t my dream job." He finished that interview with a lack of commitment by saying "But I just think it’s way too early to be talking about anything right now in that regard.” CU took their time in finding RG, he was clearly the right person for the job, he has made a difference financially and with vision for the Athletics Department as a whole. HCMM, got it - you are here for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed on keeping Leavitt and RG around as well!

I doubt the staff will hitch their wagon to Sefo-only next year. They'll be coaching for their jobs. If Montez is as billed, I think we are going to see him.

I just hope we haven't all hyped up Montez too much.

I thought the emphasis on Sefo running so much was a precursor to Montez next year. They are doing the read option a lot more this year and I assumed they were getting the oline ready to go. If Montez isn't the starter, which I doubt he will, I'm hoping they have some packages for him. Most excited I've been about a QB in a long time. Hope all the reports are true.

Today he was quoted as saying “I’d be lying if I didn’t say at one point in my life being AD at Illinois wasn’t my dream job."
Woa, a triple negative! I'm confused, does he want the U of I job or not?

Back