What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Make You Feel Old...

The Alabaster Yak

Club Member
Club Member
Interesting article that will make you 35 year olds feel your actual age.

- Current recruits were 5 years old the last time a team West of the Mississsippi won a Natty
- Current recruits don't have a recollection of Oklahoma, Miami or Nebraska winning a Natty
- They might (probably not) remember Texas, Florida and LSU winning a Natty
- They were only 5 years old when Reggie Bush won the Heisman and 7 years old when Tebow won it

Also, recruits are basically completely ignorant to past college football tradition.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ball-history-recruit-timeline-perspective-age

I coached youth baseball up until two years ago. One of the kids made a great play in the OF, an over the shoulder catch. I got the team together and congratulated the kid on a "Willie Mays" catch. They all looked at me blankly. I said, "Who knows who Willie Mays is?" No hands.

I coached youth baseball up until two years ago. One of the kids made a great play in the OF, an over the shoulder catch. I got the team together and congratulated the kid on a "Willie Mays" catch. They all looked at me blankly. I said, "Who knows who Willie Mays is?" No hands.
That's the parents fault. How do you now explain to your child who plays baseball who Willie Mays was? I have to admit my dad was a little obsessed, growing up in the bay area, so maybe it is just me.

get+off+my+lawn.jpg

the graphic that UT 2005 was the last team west of the Mississippi won the NC surprised me.

i taught college for a decade and the "cultural memory" of young people is almost zero at this point....such is the valorization of technology and "the future" while the past is a place before video games or sex or love or happiness or anything like that.

everyone was suffering endlessly without algorithms.

the graphic that UT 2005 was the last team west of the Mississippi won the NC surprised me.

i taught college for a decade and the "cultural memory" of young people is almost zero at this point....such is the valorization of technology and "the future" while the past is a place before video games or sex or love or happiness or anything like that.

everyone was suffering endlessly without algorithms.

Cultural memory is very low but the value of cultural memories is low as well. How many players put Oregon's day-glo uniforms ahead of another schools appearance in the championship game years ago.

What matters to a bunch of old dudes like us doesn't mean a lot to an 18 yo kid looking to leave home for the first time.

Interesting article that will make you 35 year olds feel your actual age.

- Current recruits were 5 years old the last time a team West of the Mississsippi won a Natty
- Current recruits don't have a recollection of Oklahoma, Miami or Nebraska winning a Natty
- They might (probably not) remember Texas, Florida and LSU winning a Natty
- They were only 5 years old when Reggie Bush won the Heisman and 7 years old when Tebow won it

Also, recruits are basically completely ignorant to past college football tradition.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ball-history-recruit-timeline-perspective-age
**** you!

When I was 12 in 1986 I'm quite certain I knew who guys like Johnny Unitas, Dick Butkis and Gale Sayers were. We didn't have a Major League team and I wasn't very into baseball but I still knew who Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Joe DiMaggio were. They don't teach much Civics or History anymore. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that kids don't know anything about sports history, either. Most kids would give you blank stares if you asked them who Picasso, Monet or Renoir were. Same goes for Plato, Aristotle or Socrates. Most don't really know much about anything anymore.

We are well on our way to fulfilling Mike Judge's prophecy in Idiocracy.

Last edited:
My son does a good job of making me feel old lol. He knows his sports, Mays, all those guys basically. Now if I go Socrates on him, idk.

When players that i followed as collegiate athletes started retiring from the pros, being a sports fan made me feel old.

Shaq was the first notable retiree that i remember as a college player.

When players that i followed as collegiate athletes started retiring from the pros, being a sports fan made me feel old.

Shaq was the first notable retiree that i remember as a college player.

Wait till you get to the point where the guys who were the pro stars when you were a kid start dying left and right. I'm old enough to remember Bob Griese and the Dolphins, the Joe Greene Steelers and even as a kid the Lombardi Packers. When you see guys dying of old age who were playing when you were a kid it hits.

One of my favorites was Atwater, that dude was a monster. Watched him as a kid, found out very quickly that's what physical was man.

Back