What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Malcolm Blacken has been hired as the new S&C coach

Jens1893

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Per Adam on Twitter

15 year experience in the NFL, worked for the Redskins in 2010 and for the Lions from 01-09

Didn't Shannahan give grief to McNabb and Hanyesworth for being out of shape? Hopefully this pans out. Don't know much about the Lions squad.

Didn't Shannahan give grief to McNabb and Hanyesworth for being out of shape? Hopefully this pans out. Don't know much about the Lions squad.

these were personal player issues. you can't run and lift for them

Here's the full release:

CU Press Release:

BOULDER ?University of Colorado head football coach Jon Embree officially added two more coaches to his staff Wednesday, naming Bobby Kennedy wide receivers coach and Malcolm Blacken as CU’s speed-strength and conditioning coach.

“I’m excited about adding Bobby and Malcolm to the staff,” Embree said. “Bobby is a very good receivers coach and he’s had a lot of success. A number of schools wanted to hire him in the past, so I feel very fortunate that he’s here. He’s another guy who will be a head coach soon. I got to know Malcolm last year with the Redskins and he’s a former head strength coach in the NFL and collegiate levels and he will be a valuable asset to our program.”

Kennedy, 44, returns to his hometown of Boulder with 21 years of college coaching experience, the last seven at Texas where he was the wide receivers coach for all seven seasons and was named the assistant recruiting coordinator after his first year on staff. In his time at Texas, he coached in two BCS National Championship games, one in 2005 when the Longhorns won the National Championship and also in the 2009 title game against Alabama. In all, he has coached in 13 total bowl games including two Rose Bowls, a third title game played at the Rose Bowl, and one Fiesta Bowl.

“Jon and I have known each other for over 20 years ? from when I was at Boulder High and he was at Cherry Creek,” Kennedy said. “I always followed his career and always wanted to come here and be a Buff. That opportunity didn’t present itself until now and I couldn’t be more excited.”

Kennedy coached in Austin from 2004-10 and his first season there was immediately after the Longhorns had lost three receivers to the NFL. He built up a receiver corps that included three Biletnikoff Award candidates, including two semifinalists and one finalist. In 2008, Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby both tallied over 85 catches, 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns becoming just the 11th duo in NCAA history to both go over 1,000 yards. Then in 2009, Shipley was a consensus first-team All-American setting UT records for catches (116), yards (1,485) and matching the touchdown mark with 13.

“We really appreciate everything Bobby did for us in seven years here,” Texas coach Mack Brown said in a statement released last week. “He’s been a part of a staff that helped us win a National Championship, play for another and finish in the top five two other times. We’ll miss him, but Colorado is home and an opportunity he couldn’t pass up.”

Kennedy’s other coaching stops include six major college programs and a pair of Pac-12 schools. Prior to Texas, Kennedy spent two years coaching receivers at Washington, where he tutored Huskies wide receiver Reggie Williams to two All-America campaigns before he became the No. 9 overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

He also had assistant coaching stops at Arizona (2001), Wake Forest (1995-2000) and Wyoming (1993-94). With the Wildcats, he coached running backs and helped Clarence Farmer lead the Pac-10 in rushing at 111.7 yards per game. At Wake Forest, he spent time as both a running backs and wide receivers coach and mentored Desmond Clark, the ACC’s all-time leading receiver. At Wyoming, he coached two All-American wide receivers in Ryan Yarborough, who was second in the nation in receiving 1993, and Marcus Harris, who led the nation in receiving yards in 1994.

He held two graduate assistant positions, from 1990-91 at Illinois and in 1992 at Penn State under coach Joe Paterno. He helped with tight ends with the Nittany Lions and coached two future All-Americans in Troy Drayton and Kyle Brady.

A 1989 graduate of Northern Colorado where he played quarterback and lettered from the 1985-88 seasons, he began his coaching career on the high school level in Boulder at his alma mater. He graduated from Boulder High School in 1985. Kennedy and his wife, LaShonda, were married in 1998.

Blacken comes to Colorado from the Washington Redskins and will oversee speed-strength and conditioning for all 16 of CU’s intercollegiate sports. With the Redskins, he served as the assistant strength and conditioning coach this past season. He has been a strength coach in the NFL for the last 15 seasons, serving as the head strength and conditioning coach for the Detroit Lions for nine years (2001-09) after his first stint as an assistant with the Redskins from 1996-2000.

Prior to his time in the NFL, he served as an assistant strength coach for the University of Virginia in 1995 after serving as the head strength coach at George Mason University from 1992-94. He began his coaching career at the University of South Carolina as an assistant strength and conditioning coach from 1990-91.

A 1989 graduate of Virginia Tech where he earned bachelor’s degrees in art and physical education, he lettered four times as a running back for the Hokies from 1984-88. He was a two-time winner of the Super Iron Hokie Award, given to the program’s strongest player at each position.

Blacken and his wife, Marcy, have two children, a daughter, Maya, and a son, Bo.

Embree still has one assistant position for quarterbacks vacant at present.

Both those guys came in to camp out of shape. They didn't train with the Redskins staff.

looks good. there's a lot to read there vs. Hawk's guys (by comparison, mostly "who?").

surprised Limas Sweed isn't mentioned in the blurb about UT's WR's. he was hurt some, and i guess not a Fred B. finalist....but, he's a legit NFL WR and a heckuva college player.

should i be impressed... the lions were always shoved all over the field and injuring various parts of their bodies

Both are good hires. Embree's staff, top to bottom, blows away the previous staff in terms of experience.

should i be impressed... the lions were always shoved all over the field and injuring various parts of their bodies

I think you need to have some perspective here bcs. Considering the state of our program and the AD budget, he is a great get and a HUGE upgrade from Pittman. He wouldn't have lasted 15 yrs in the NFL if he didn't know what the hell he was doing.

It's gratifying that Shanahan is letting Embree raid the Redskin's staff after giving him a mid-season release.

Maybe Mike has a soft spot for Colorado.

I'm friends with someone who plays for the redskins and offseason workouts are a lot on the players themselves.

You could be as strong as an ox, but if the coaches don't put you in the right position/place, you're gonna lose a whole lotta battles. The Lions' past coaching staffs weren't much to brag about.

surprised Limas Sweed isn't mentioned in the blurb about UT's WR's. he was hurt some, and i guess not a Fred B. finalist....but, he's a legit NFL WR and a heckuva college player.

Last time I remember seeing Sweed on the football field was him dropping a wide open TD pass in the 2008 AFC title game and then laying on a ground faking an injury so he wouldn't be booed. Haven't seen him since. L Buff is the Steelers fan maybe he knows where he is now.

Here, let's compare:
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Pitman, 39, came to CU from Boise State, his alma mater, where he spent seven years as the head strength and conditioning coach. He played an integral role in the Broncos emerging as the dominant school in the Western Athletic Conference, winning six league championships in that span. He thus was reunited with former BSU head football coach Dan Hawkins and four of his assistants, all of whom moved on to Colorado in December 2005; the group spent six football seasons together in Boise.[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]His first full-time strength and coaching position was as an assistant at Montana State University, as he was with the Bobcats from 1995 to 1997; he was in charge of the programs specifically for football, women's skiing and women's track. He then moved on to San Jose State University in the fall of 1997, where he supervised the training programs for all 16 of the Spartan sport teams for the next two years before returning to his alma mater.[/FONT]

Definitely experienced... Unleash you should ask him about Blacken if he knows much about him

What's his youtube video like?

Seriously though, welcome aboard! At least at this year's event I don't have to hear DII sing the praises of Pittman and just how much stronger he has made everybody. Clearly Barnett did not like his guys lifting and training.

I see Jeff Mad Dog Madden got extended by UT. Maybe this stuff surrounding Cleve Bryant's leave of absence has no merit and/or is swept under the carpet. There had been speculation on the OU board that Madden and Kennedy might get swept up in the investigation. Some UT fans were pretty negative about such a hefty S&C coach as being part of the reason behind the 5-7 record.
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...ut-retains-madden-adds-wylie-as-strength.html

I suspect that Madden was at least considered as a candidate for the position in Boulder.

Clearly Embree is diversifying the staff. Bringing Madden on board would have fueled more discussion about Embree's staff being one big reunion tour from the glory days.

Embree signaled that he wants players to have off-balance strength, not the traditional weight bench and squat cage stuff.

Welcome to the BnG, Malcolm. Work your magic.

Back