What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mandel gives MacIntyre hire an "A"

irrelevant - Hawkins was universally acclaimed by the National media as a great hire. Unlike Hawkins, Embree and staff were fired prematurely after 24 months by Bohn, likely to save his own hide. It is predictable how our fan base will react if MacIntyre fails at CU, which is highly likely IMO unless he can dramatically upgrade his recruiting in future years.

So it was premature to fire Embree & staff after 2 years, but it isn't premature to judge MacIntyre on his recruiting results after one month?

The best way to upgrade his recruiting would be to not have to start with the class Embree & Company were putting together. If they had been fired a bit more prematurely, this class might look a bit better....

irrelevant - Hawkins was universally acclaimed by the National media as a great hire. Unlike Hawkins, Embree and staff were fired prematurely after 24 months by Bohn, likely to save his own hide. It is predictable how our fan base will react if MacIntyre fails at CU, which is highly likely IMO unless he can dramatically upgrade his recruiting in future years.

Bohn did a miserable job of due diligence on the Hawkins hire, and a argument can be made about the Embree/Bieniemy hire, though its hard to believe that in its entirely this staff was as clueless as many on this board seem to believe. Now we pay $2mm a year to a guy who was making $450k that has had one winning season as a HC, with a lot of JUCO's at a lower level of football
His most recent team was very competitive against Stanford , as you said with "a lot of JUCO's".

If we were competitive with Stanford I'd be exhilarated at this point. Don't knock him because he coached at a lower level. He played higher level teams and was very competitive. Not to mention his team was ranked #24 in the nation.

His most recent team was very competitive against Stanford , as you said with "a lot of JUCO's".

If we were competitive with Stanford I'd be exhilarated at this point. Don't knock him because he coached at a lower level. He played higher level teams and was very competitive. Not to mention his team was ranked #24 in the nation.

Where are all these JUCO's you speak of?

I would like to point out that if the grade were low
a14
k3

His most recent team was very competitive against Stanford , as you said with "a lot of JUCO's".If we were competitive with Stanford I'd be exhilarated at this point. Don't knock him because he coached at a lower level. He played higher level teams and was very competitive. Not to mention his team was ranked #24 in the nation.
The final AP poll had them at #21 in the nation. When was the last time CU finished that high? 2001?

If I remember correctly we were top 15 in 2005 until the tornado of ill-luck blew through Ames.

What I find funny is that klatt was talking about "his" cu teams never have given up. Yet I was thinking about this game and the following two the team sure looked like they gave up.

What I find funny is that klatt was talking about "his" cu teams never have given up. Yet I was thinking about this game and the following two the team sure looked like they gave up.

That Big12 championship and the kNU game were awful, simply awful

Bohn did a miserable job of due diligence on the Hawkins hire, and a argument can be made about the Embree/Bieniemy hire, though its hard to believe that in its entirely this staff was as clueless as many on this board seem to believe. Now we pay $2mm a year to a guy who was making $450k that has had one winning season as a HC, with a lot of JUCO's at a lower level of football

Prematurely fired? The guy had 4 wins in 2 years. Not even Hawk did that bad.

Dude hawk had a top20 recruiting class the year before 3-9. After going 3-9 in his 3rd year people thought that Hawks players would start to get better. We fire hawk at the right time.

Dude hawk had a top20 recruiting class the year before 3-9. After going 3-9 in his 3rd year people thought that Hawks players would start to get better. We fire hawk at the right time.

Hawk was fired one year too late

I think it is as close to fact as you can get that Hawk was fired (at least) a year too late. Perhaps more importantly he shouldn't have been given the contract extension, because that is the only reason he wasn't fired on time.

I think it is as close to fact as you can get that Hawk was fired (at least) a year too late. Perhaps more importantly he shouldn't have been given the contract extension, because that is the only reason he wasn't fired on time.

Convenient of you to forget Hawk was a few 4th QTR collapses away from 8-4. With that record, he'd still be here!

Look I understand the KU game. And we all know about the 3-9 season. At the time of his extension, it was praised. He turned a 2-10 team into a 6-6 team, one of the best turnarounds in the nation at the time. He just brought in a huge recruiting class. At the time it was not needed but thought of as a good idea. And after the horrible 3-9 season you could still make the excuse of his recruits becoming older. But after after the KU game it was time to go. You guys are just are just going through hindsight bias.

Hawk probably could have still been the coach if he could have landed a top 20 QB in any of his recruiting classes and if D.Scott would have lived up to half of his hype. Instead no one came to challenge Cody and we ended up with a decent couple seasons of Tyler Hansen but burnt his RS and nothing left in the cupboard. Speedy was a great find and he could have been the lightning to D.Scott's thunder. Once the ship started to sink Hawk couldn't recruit his way out of it. To many Ath/Soft recruits who couldn't match up in the Big12 for strength or now the Pac 12 for speed.

Wrap your mind around this. Is Embree still coaching this team if Hansen doesn't have his RS burnt and he is the QB this season. With Hansen we look far better in the games and probably win at least 2 more. CSU and Sac St. Does 3 wins keep Embree? Hawk possibly screwed himself and the next head coach with his quarterback juggling.

Hawk probably could have still been the coach if he could have landed a top 20 QB in any of his recruiting classes and if D.Scott would have lived up to half of his hype. Instead no one came to challenge Cody and we ended up with a decent couple seasons of Tyler Hansen but burnt his RS and nothing left in the cupboard. Speedy was a great find and he could have been the lightning to D.Scott's thunder. Once the ship started to sink Hawk couldn't recruit his way out of it. To many Ath/Soft recruits who couldn't match up in the Big12 for strength or now the Pac 12 for speed.

Wrap your mind around this. Is Embree still coaching this team if Hansen doesn't have his RS burnt and he is the QB this season. With Hansen we look far better in the games and probably win at least 2 more. CSU and Sac St. Does 3 wins keep Embree? Hawk possibly screwed himself and the next head coach with his quarterback juggling.

Look I'm not defending hawk. He deserved to be fired. Do I think Cody should have been playing in the big 12? No. His dad shouldn't have coached it either. Hawk wanted to go fast and light. The big 12 was big and heavy. Big linebackers. I honestly think Embree would have been better coaching against big 12 competition, and hawk would have excelled more against pac12 teams. Just their style of coaching. Was it all Cody's fault, no. Our O line was one of the worst in the nation. Yes we had good players, but soooooo many injuries. All in all, hawk got fired. Embree got fired. Mac is hired. Lets win some games. Let the coaches worry about recruiting.

Hawk's teams were so, mind blowingly unathletic. Toledo anyone? Hawk recruited fine early, but his issue was that he couldn't keep any of the blue chippers on the roster..... that and his son.

Hawk's teams were so, mind blowingly unathletic. Toledo anyone? Hawk recruited fine early, but his issue was that he couldn't keep any of the blue chippers on the roster..... that and his son.

Very true. In over his head.

People who go to Fairview would give the hiring an F.

They actually chanted "We want Embree" whenever Jay Mac would get the ball. Are they CSU fans haha? Or just really bad at trying to get inside a players head.

i thought the Embree hire was amazingly desperate. we went back to the past once with Barney. twice?

Hawkins a mistake for us but it was the right hire at the time for an AD...turns out it wasn't a GOOD hire. we were one of the first hiring programs in the market when not many BCS Conference teams were hiring and Hawkins was going to get a top job.

this is not a defense of Bohn. i have a lot mixed feelings about MB. i do like the Mac hire...though i was panicking for a bit

Last edited:
Back