What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mangino Situation vs. Barrnet situation

I would take a coach who gets us to a bowl game 7 years out of 10. And the 3 years we don't get in, I want it to be close (i.e. we finish 5-7 or 6-6)

I dont want to ever be out of bowl contention. We shouldnt with all the ****ing bowls out there. A disappointing year should be one with a ****ty bowl at the end.

I dont want to ever be out of bowl contention. We shouldnt with all the ****ing bowls out there. A disappointing year should be one with a ****ty bowl at the end.

With the non conference schedule CU plays, there are going to be years where things just don't fall right - and the Buffs miss out on a bowl game.

With the non conference schedule CU plays, there are going to be years where things just don't fall right - and the Buffs miss out on a bowl game.

I was thinking the same thing....

looking ahead at the next few years, we do have some good teams on the non-conference schedule...

California
Minnesota
Oregon
Utah
Hawaii
Georgia
Washington
Arizona State
Fresno State

Last edited:
True, although you could argue that it was Barnett's problems fitting in in Boulder that led to his demise. The feminists and the Boulder DA didn't like him and made it their personal mission to destroy him.

Try as they might had he not lost that game 70-3 we might not be having this conversation. In fact we'd be lamenting how crappy it feels to be 7-4 and when the hell was Barney planning on turning in another 62-36 performance. :lol:

Instead we have... :cry:

Yes, I believe she assisted and advised the girls. And the girls ended up getting $$ out of CU. Score one for her again...

The Boulder culture argument is a real one and a coach that does not fit in in Boulder will be villified and likely ousted, regardless of on-field performance.

It sucks, but that's the way it goes.

I don't really agree with that. Boulder is transforming into rich mans world and the vocaliest of hippies are renting smaller and smaller shacks in that town. If the trend continues it might just be a nice place again. :smile2:

I still think he's an asshole.

He had some good moments as a coach. Surrounded by terrible moments as a coach. Both at Northwestern and at Colorado. A few good years and a few terrible years.

I think Barnett operated best in a "bunker" mentality (i.e. everyone is against us) and that mentality only works for so long.

What is a shame (for Barnett) is that he ran his mouth so much that his on-the-field performance couldn't cover for him. If he would have been a LITTLE MORE PC - I think he would have kept coaching at CU for a while.

Plus, after the recruiting scandal - he was pretty much damaged goods. I don't think he could coach the way he really wanted to. I also think it greatly affected his recruiting ability.

^^^This

The new Mangino article at ESPN really makes him sound like a complete dick. It's hard to believe that a coach would use personal stuff (like a brother getting shot or an alcoholic dad) to call out a player in front of the team. Dude is an asshole. KU put up with an asshole that won, but they won't keep around an asshole that loses.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4669621

I was thinking the same thing....

looking ahead at the next few years, we do have some good teams on the non-conference schedule...

California
Minnesota
Oregon
Utah
Hawaii
Georgia
Washington
Arizona State
Fresno State

Good thing Fresno replaced LSU

The Mangino situation has deteriorated into a Must-Fire-Him scenario. Evidently, there are enough players with complaints about their history of abuse, or observing Mangino's abuse, that KU can't bring him back without having the clubhouse so fractured internally or, if the team was united, it might only be in open revolt against the coach.

Since the KU AD brought up the Mangino "personnel investigation" in his press conferences, and detailed this "separate review board process of bringing in former players for interviews", there is no choice - Kansas must fire Mangino. He's so undermined that it makes no sense to even ponder keeping him around.

And ignoring next year's clubhouse-team chemistry, think of recruiting. "He's not fired YET" would always be the key-phrase to every prospect.

(Of course, when they look at Mangino's weight, that alone should have every recruit ponder the "He's not dead YET" likelihood.)

This is much like the Hawkins Escapade. "We can't afford to fire him!" may keep him aboard, and then someone looks up next year and realizes keeping him under those constraints is far worse.

Last edited:
Can you imagine if they don't go to a bowl game this year? After starting 5-0. Wow.

The new Mangino article at ESPN really makes him sound like a complete dick. It's hard to believe that a coach would use personal stuff (like a brother getting shot or an alcoholic dad) to call out a player in front of the team. Dude is an asshole. KU put up with an asshole that won, but they won't keep around an asshole that loses.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4669621

I just read that link and all I can say is :wow:

What a ginormous asshole.

This situation is not the same.

Mangino's players have COMPLETELY turned on him, and there seems to actually be evidence that he is guilty of these accusations.

Back