What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

Crappy job? CU-B is one of the top 60 research universities in the world, Anschutz is a high-growth and respected research hospital, and the D & CS campuses are both good schools in boom cities.

The question I've always had, given the above, is how a guy like Kennedy was even a candidate in the first place?

You will not get a direct answer to this question.

Since there were a few GPA comments in here…
My daughter just got her report card yesterday. Went from a 94.45 and 45% in her class to a 94.47 and 27% in her class (disregard rank date). Still in the 3.9-4.0 range. It’s crazy.
View attachment 45003
I am impressed by not only her GPA but also by the fact that that puts her at 27%. Kids are putting in work these days, if I had her GPA in highschool I would have almost certainly been top 10 students :ROFLMAO:

My daughter has about a 4.3 gpa with a bunch of AP credits as a junior (that apple fell off moms tree, not mine). I suggested she take Calc 1 this summer at FRCC so that she can be in Calc 2 her senior year (Fairview otoh offers Calc 3 😳) along with AP Physics, so her acceptance into a STEM program is better positioned (Her SAT was not great, her ACT pretty good but not elite). She wants to go to engineering school (Nerd) so we figure the more of that stuff she has with good grades the better her chance of getting program acceptance.

SVVSD has a Career Dev Campus (CDC) That partners with FRCC where kids can learn trades and do auto shop, welding, etc. We just figured out this calc class (5 credits) would be added to her other CDC courses (anatomy, medical terminology, EMT). If she gets an A she could get into Phi Theta Kappa with the 12 credit minimum.

Shes not even in the Top 10 for her class. 🤣

The girl at Silver Creek who made valedictorian this year over the #2 candidate got it by 1 AP class more. She was not a musician but passed AP Music Theory, the only AP class left for her to take, with a high enough grade to beat out everyone else. Thats nuts.

Last edited:
My daughter has about a 4.3 gpa with a bunch of AP credits as a junior (that apple fell off moms tree, not mine). I suggested she take Calc 1 this summer at FRCC so that she can be in Calc 2 her senior year (Fairview otoh offers Calc 3 😳) along with AP Physics, so her acceptance into a STEM program is better positioned (Her SAT was not great, her ACT pretty good but not elite). She wants to go to engineering school (Nerd) so we figure the more of that stuff she has with good grades the better her chance of getting program acceptance.

SVVSD has a Career Dev Campus (CDC) That partners with FRCC where kids can learn trades and do auto shop, welding, etc. We just figured out this calc class (5 credits) would be added to her other CDC courses (anatomy, medical terminology, EMT). If she gets an A she could get into Phi Theta Kappa with the 12 credit minimum.

Shes not even in the Top 10 for her class. 🤣

The girl at Silver Creek who made valedictorian this year over the #2 candidate got it by 1 AP class more. She was not a musician but passed AP Music Theory, the only AP class left for her to take, with a high enough grade to beat out everyone else. Thats nuts.
The competition at the top is insane.

It's also a result of our winner take all economic /social /government structure.

If the top 1% get everything, and there's a significant drop off at 2%, well - you gotta fight for that last bit.

Serious question: I know you're justifiably proud of your daughter - but does part of you wish she could not work quite so hard, enjoy life a bit more, and still "win?"

Serious question: I know you're justifiably proud of your daughter - but does part of you wish she could not work quite so hard, enjoy life a bit more, and still "win?"
In the end she actually does take a lot of time for herself. She plays varsity and club soccer. Binge watches TV (sometimes while doing HW). Takes on guilty pleasure reading. Hangs out with friends but not daily. Drinks a little but not too much and avoids the bad kids. Boyfriends have been short lived. I never think of her as over worked.

The big difference between her, her brother, me, and most of the rest of kids quite frankly is her executive function; highly organized, prioritizes what order work is to be done, knows when to cut her losses in terms of time invested on a particular assignment and move on to the next thing. Shes also good at advocating for her self for extra credit, redo's, credit for anything late, etc. My son on the other hand doesnt give a **** about any of this.

The competition at the top is insane.

It's also a result of our winner take all economic /social /government structure.

If the top 1% get everything, and there's a significant drop off at 2%, well - you gotta fight for that last bit.

So for our daughter, we encouraged her to chill her senior year, esp this past year was so jacked with Covid and a total lack of socialization, since nothing from her senior year will be submitted in her applications. She is the captain of her cheer team, works 3 days x week, and has to truck our son around to his activities since they all start before my wife or I get off of work. We want her to be able to enjoy her senior year, hang out with friends, and take some fun classes.
My son on the other hand…holy crap, just got his second Presidential academic medal…and he doesn’t even try.

Unimpressed Zach Galifianakis GIF

A lot of people don't know that Naval Aviators are superior in many ways - including our choices in entertainment. The kids of Naval Aviators are better than your kids, and you're just going to have to deal with that.
How many of those people think that helo pilots are naval aviators?

The best pilot is the one who gets me back on the ground. I love flying but 2 weeks ago the pilatus pc-12 I was on bounced 3 times off the dirt runway after a strong gust right before touch down. Thankfully the pilot was able to power back up fast enough before anything bad. My coworker on the ground said it looked like we were gonna roll after our first bounce. On the second landing attempt it kept telling myself “the pilot doesn’t want to die either so he would not try landing again if he thought it was dumb to try again.”

The best pilot is the one who gets me back on the ground. I love flying but 2 weeks ago the pilatus pc-12 I was on bounced 3 times off the dirt runway after a strong gust right before touch down. Thankfully the pilot was able to power back up fast enough before anything bad. My coworker on the ground said it looked like we were gonna roll after our first bounce. On the second landing attempt it kept telling myself “the pilot doesn’t want to die either so he would not try landing again if he thought it was dumb to try again.”
All takeoffs are optional

All landings are mandatory

I was told a long time ago by a FAA investigator that there are 2 types of pilots in the world. There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. But there are no old and bold pilots.

Back