What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

People need to get a grip. It was a performance bonus that he had earned. Didn't he take a 10% paycut already?
folks need to stop being so burrhurt about this. He is giving it back. Many still want to make a big deal about the timing when he did it. Who cares?
Jo -
Let me try and explain to you why "folks" are so "burrhurt" about this.

First, I don't think anyone is saying that the bonus/salary incentive (potayto/potahto) was not presented according to the terms of his contract.

The issue I have, and I am projecting that many of the others share, is that the optics and timing of this are beyond bad. With the campus closed down due to the pandemic, the university system losing tens of millions of dollars of revenue, and faculty and staff being placed on furlough, it is a very bad look for the University President to be bonused such a large amount - deserved or not. Many other high profile University employees have taken voluntary salary cuts and refused deserved bonus payments. The President should have done the same.

Now, I have no idea of whether he always intended to donate the bonus/salary incentive back to the University, or if it was a reaction to public criticism. Only he could tell you that. What I think the proper course of action should have been is either 1) refuse the bonus/salary incentive outright, or 2) announced the intent to donate the amount at the same time as the bonus/salary incentive was announced. Either of these actions would have sent a public message that the President isn't above a small personal sacrifice for the benefit of the University during difficult times for all.

I need more context around this. Who has been blocked or unfollowed? I'm assuming this just refers to Allbuffs Twitter account, which I actually didn't realize we had until yesterday.

Also, it is bold to say that Sharkey's tweet embarrassed anybody but herself.

Aside from the appearance that Kennedy was forced to react to a poor optic of his making, let's pretend that his intent was to donate his bonus to scholarships all along (unlikely).

Sharkey missed an opportunity to clear the record in the reasoned tone of a professional. She failed to do that.

So what is the agenda of this CU Buffs Stats person?

I need more context around this. Who has been blocked or unfollowed? I'm assuming this just refers to Allbuffs Twitter account, which I actually didn't realize we had until yesterday.

Also, it is bold to say that Sharkey's tweet embarrassed anybody but herself.

Aside from the appearance that Kennedy was forced to react to a poor optic of his making, let's pretend that his intent was to donate his bonus to scholarships all along (unlikely).

Sharkey missed an opportunity to clear the record in the reasoned tone of a professional. She failed to do that.

So what is the agenda of this CU Buffs Stats person?
From looking at the material that’s still available, the stats person used their personal twitter account to agree with Sharkey. Whomever runs the AB twitter account decided to block this person. Then, he used the CU stats account to call out AB twitter because CU stats guy was butthurt that he got blocked.

From looking at the material that’s still available, the stats person used their personal twitter account to agree with Sharkey. Whomever runs the AB twitter account decided to block this person. Then, he used the CU stats account to call out AB twitter because CU stats guy was butthurt that he got blocked.
Well, I don’t agree with blocking people just for offering an unpopular opinion. I do wonder how they chose to share their opinion.

CU stats person sounds a lot like Dave Plati.

CU stats person sounds a lot like Dave Plati.
It's not like there has been a generally warm relationship between Plati and Allbuffs, dating back--to the best of my recollection--to the time Dave went full Baghdad Bob and counted a mere 200 powder blue-clad fans in 2012.

It's not plati but the guy who runs that account is super thin skinned and also has a fun trolly history iirc. I wasn't the one who did any of the Twitter stuff but I do find it amusing
I’ll take your word for it, but I suspect this guy - whoever he is - has studied at the Dave Plati institute for bunker mentality.

folks need to stop being so burrhurt about this. He is giving it back. Many still want to make a big deal about the timing when he did it. Who cares?
Maybe the university employees who will be losing their jobs will care?

Executive bonus pay during cutbacks is disgusting.

If the plan all along was to donate the bonus/incentive earnings, then it was just a missed PR opportunity that caused people to get upset through the university's mismanagement of its messaging. And Sue Sharkey was confusing as hell with her response -- why would anyone lash out at people questioning an executive bonus right now? How can a politician be that tone deaf?

Not really a tough crowd. He was taking his bonus no matter what and only dedicated it to schollys when he was called out. Look across the corporate world and see what most execs are doing. Most are taking cuts, no salary or are definitely not taking bonuses. Kennedy is not someone I have a lot of faith in to make a good decision. Just another example reinforcing this perception.

Didn’t know where else to ask this, but does anyone have a good read on which candidate for regent in District 2 (Boulder) is the most pro athletics? It’s the primary so I am assuming whomever wins will walk on to the Board of Regents. If there’s a more appropriate thread for this question I can ask there.

Didn’t know where else to ask this, but does anyone have a good read on which candidate for regent in District 2 (Boulder) is the most pro athletics? It’s the primary so I am assuming whomever wins will walk on to the Board of Regents. If there’s a more appropriate thread for this question I can ask there.
Likely Aaron Harber. He’s been a very active supporter of the Ralphie program. If I lived in 2nd CD, he’d have my vote.

I've had some dialog with candidates:

Harber is pro athletics, but also very critical to the hiring process which this thread is about.

Dave Gross is also pro athletics. Here's his response to Mel Tucker leaving:

I'm pretty comfortable with either. The 3rd candidate, Callie someone, I cannot speak of. I tried to engage her campaign re: sports and I did not get a response.

I've had some dialog with candidates:

Harber is pro athletics, but also very critical to the hiring process which this thread is about.

Dave Gross is also pro athletics. Here's his response to Mel Tucker leaving:

I'm pretty comfortable with either. The 3rd candidate, Callie someone, I cannot speak of. I tried to engage her campaign re: sports and I did not get a response.

I haven't heard, has the university even gotten a new Buffalo yet?

Colleges are in a real bind. Not just CU. Without students, they have no reason to exist. They’re fighting a difficult fight now.

I’ve heard that upwards of 20% of the incoming Freshman class is expected to simply not show up. Covid hit after the deadline to request an admission deferral, so schools are playing hardball and telling them that if they don’t show up, they will have to re-apply for admission the following year. No international students for probably two years in a row. All this makes for an extremely small incoming freshman class this year, and what will likely be a very large incoming freshman class next year to even out the numbers. That creates a bunch of issues all itself, like housing, class sizes, academic advising, etc.

Colleges are in a real bind. Not just CU. Without students, they have no reason to exist. They’re fighting a difficult fight now.

I’ve heard that upwards of 20% of the incoming Freshman class is expected to simply not show up. Covid hit after the deadline to request an admission deferral, so schools are playing hardball and telling them that if they don’t show up, they will have to re-apply for admission the following year. No international students for probably two years in a row. All this makes for an extremely small incoming freshman class this year, and what will likely be a very large incoming freshman class next year to even out the numbers. That creates a bunch of issues all itself, like housing, class sizes, academic advising, etc.
No international students is going to hit the Anschutz campus really hard. They were already struggling to put students in seats.

It's not like there has been a generally warm relationship between Plati and Allbuffs, dating back--to the best of my recollection--to the time Dave went full Baghdad Bob and counted a mere 200 powder blue-clad fans in 2012.
I was definitely not on AB back in 2012. Could I get some context on this? Curious to hear what it was.

I was definitely not on AB back in 2012. Could I get some context on this? Curious to hear what it was.
There was a "protest" during a home football game in 2012. A significant amount of fans wore powder blue to signify their extreme displeasure with Dan Hawkins. Plati was PISSED and also said it was a mere 200 fans. It was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that.

Back