Mark Kennedy new CU President, affirmed in party line vote (formerly Bruce Benson retires)

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buff4bcs1985, Jul 18, 2018.

1. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

Mods feel free to move this wherever it needs to go

TDforTD likes this.
  2. TSchekler

TSchekler Club Member Club Member

Oh man, so his successor is chosen by the BOR?

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Bruce did a good job for CU in his role (primarily fundraising)

Very curious to see who replaces him - obviously want to understand the stance towards athletics - but there are some other big issues like the troubles at CU Denver that need to be addressed.

dyemeduke likes this.
  4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Big moment for the University. Need to get this right.

5. dio

Curious that they have a YEAR to find a replacement. That seems excessively long to me (but fits Bruce's personality). That is more then enough time for the BOR to tie themselves up in knots searching for a replacement and likely overthink it

6. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

What are those?

7. dio

Well, primarily CU Denver has some major financial problems - and that is why you might be seeing some separating of Anschutz/Med School/Pharmacy/Nursing from CU Denver (it might not look so to the public, but those campus are tightly intertwined and often considered one campus within the CU system). Also curious what they intend to do with UCCS. UCCS is a good satellite campus that has been running extremely lean for years and they've developed some really good practices to keep things streamlined and efficient. UCD could learn a few things there.... CU-B could learn those things as well... but Boulder is able to subsist very effectively off out of state tuition (Boulder remains a national destination school)

Highlander likes this.
  8. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

I think he has done a good job. I just hope we can find someone that is equal to his ability.

TDforTD and dyemeduke like this.
  9. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

IMO CU (from the sports side) doesn't necessarily need a pro athletics president, they just need one who won't get in the way.

10. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

Just got the email. Effective July 19th.

11. RollTad21

RollTad21 Club Member Club Member

July 2019

TDforTD and Gary Indiana like this.
  12. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

I type stupid.

TDforTD, skibum, sweaty teets and 2 others like this.
  13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

[TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][URL='http://click.communications.cu.edu/?qs=11297ecc48d3ec95b077b21e981f94eb91a0d1e94e33e5a388ce4f00260b057bd33f022fca96baf81948943037723f9196840525d4b56d72'][IMG]http://image.communications.cu.edu/lib/fe8f13727463017577/m/1/0276c33e-1cb2-4bd6-af48-7b28df649210.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
    [TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD]July 18, 2018

Dear Buffnik,

It has been my honor and privilege to serve as president of the University of Colorado for the past decade. Today I informed the University of Colorado Board of Regents that I intend to retire from my position, effective July 2019. I want to give the board ample time to find a successor who can continue the tremendous positive momentum at CU.

I’m proud of what we have accomplished over the past 10-plus years. The university is well positioned for a bright future. I want to stress that it is a team effort. On all four CU campuses, we have record enrollment, record research funding and record fundraising. Tens of thousands of students have earned degrees that will improve their lives and allow them to contribute to communities across Colorado and beyond. We have kept tuition increases in check, substantially increased financial aid and made access to a CU education a reality for Coloradans. The university has shown improvements in all forms of diversity.

My goal as CU president has always been simple – to make sure the university is among the best in the world, and we have a faculty that delivers on that promise every day. Great staff members support them. Students and alumni embody the university’s ideals and contributions. Donors add substantial value to our enterprise.

The university has contributed billions to our state’s economy and is one of Colorado’s greatest public assets. We improve the economy, health and culture of our state every day. Our hospital partners, with their $4.1 billion annual budget, provide first-rate health care and innovations that improve the lives of those in Colorado and beyond.

I’m also proud that our $4.5 billion annual enterprise runs efficiently and effectively thanks to measures we have taken over the past decade. Additionally, we have partnered with the Colorado legislature and governor to pass many bills that not only help CU run efficiently, but all of higher education in the state.

CU has also been innovative in the delivery of education and has placed a sharp focus on ensuring that our campuses are places where robust debate and discussion are welcome, as is a diversity of viewpoints.

None of this happens because of one person. CU is fortunate to have an exemplary faculty, an exceptional staff, a great executive team and first-rate campus chancellors.

Over the next year, I will work with the Board of Regents and my team to continue to build on the progress we have made.

Finally, I would like to thank my wife Marcy for her support. She is a partner in every sense of the word and she has supported me throughout my tenure. I could not do this job without her.

The University of Colorado has been a part of my life since I was an undergraduate some 55 years ago. It will remain an important part of my life. It will also remain critical to Colorado’s success and will continue to address the critical issues facing our nation and world. I invite you to join me in ensuring that CU lives up to the considerable promise of higher education. Thank you for allowing me to serve as your president.[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
    [TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD]Sincerely,[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
    [TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD]Bruce Benson
    President[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
    [TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][TABLE][TBODY][TR][TD][B]Message sent by:[/B]
    Office of the President, University of Colorado
    1800 Grant Street, Suite 800, Denver, CO 80203
    p: [URL='https://www.allbuffs.com/tel:303%20860%205600']303 860 5600[/URL] | f: [URL='https://www.allbuffs.com/tel:303%20860%205610']303 860 5610[/URL] | [URL='http://click.communications.cu.edu/?qs=11297ecc48d3ec95395a865c4ae0eff968edfb4a21675ece78a4e8e06007dae3021fff355b04f81ef5bb4431d6c33d23e931f774d7880f59']www.cu.edu[/URL] | [EMAIL='officeofthepresident@cu.edu?subject=']officeofthepresident@cu.edu[/EMAIL][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Not Sure

Not Sure Club Member Club Member

Is Gordon Gee available?

skibum and Jalapeno like this.
  15. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I'm not sure we should wrestle with that one.

16. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

sorry if posted elsewhere. I couldn’t find it
    ——————————————————-
    It has been my honor and privilege to serve as president of the University of Colorado for the past decade. Today I informed the University of Colorado Board of Regents that I intend to retire from my position, effective July 2019. I want to give the board ample time to find a successor who can continue the tremendous positive momentum at CU.

I’m proud of what we have accomplished over the past 10-plus years. The university is well positioned for a bright future. I want to stress that it is a team effort. On all four CU campuses, we have record enrollment, record research funding and record fundraising. Tens of thousands of students have earned degrees that will improve their lives and allow them to contribute to communities across Colorado and beyond. We have kept tuition increases in check, substantially increased financial aid and made access to a CU education a reality for Coloradans. The university has shown improvements in all forms of diversity.

My goal as CU president has always been simple – to make sure the university is among the best in the world, and we have a faculty that delivers on that promise every day. Great staff members support them. Students and alumni embody the university’s ideals and contributions. Donors add substantial value to our enterprise.

The university has contributed billions to our state’s economy and is one of Colorado’s greatest public assets. We improve the economy, health and culture of our state every day. Our hospital partners, with their $4.1 billion annual budget, provide first-rate health care and innovations that improve the lives of those in Colorado and beyond.

I’m also proud that our $4.5 billion annual enterprise runs efficiently and effectively thanks to measures we have taken over the past decade. Additionally, we have partnered with the Colorado legislature and governor to pass many bills that not only help CU run efficiently, but all of higher education in the state.

CU has also been innovative in the delivery of education and has placed a sharp focus on ensuring that our campuses are places where robust debate and discussion are welcome, as is a diversity of viewpoints.

None of this happens because of one person. CU is fortunate to have an exemplary faculty, an exceptional staff, a great executive team and first-rate campus chancellors.

Over the next year, I will work with the Board of Regents and my team to continue to build on the progress we have made.

Finally, I would like to thank my wife Marcy for her support. She is a partner in every sense of the word and she has supported me throughout my tenure. I could not do this job without her.

The University of Colorado has been a part of my life since I was an undergraduate some 55 years ago. It will remain an important part of my life. It will also remain critical to Colorado’s success and will continue to address the critical issues facing our nation and world. I invite you to join me in ensuring that CU lives up to the considerable promise of higher education. Thank you for allowing me to serve as your president.
    Sincerely,
    Bruce Benson
    President

17. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

Well, bye

18. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Nothing to say but thank you. He helped this university a ton by not taking a salary. This could now go either way.

TDforTD, dyemeduke and WarBuff like this.
  19. AllStarBuffs

AllStarBuffs Well-Known Member

Crap, this is a bummer. Bruce is a good guy

BerkeleyBuff likes this.
  20. Alfred91

Alfred91 Arabic numeral jihadi Club Member

He raised a lot of money and seemed to finally get that athletics needed to be a priority.

Hopefully the BOR doesn't go looking for another Judith Albino or Buffalo Betsy.

TDforTD likes this.
  21. Bliff Cranch

Bliff Cranch Should be in the Fall of Hame Club Member

I’m betting the under on this, unfortunately. There’s a reasonable chance this doesn’t end well, IMO.

J.R. Ewing and CUFan like this.
  22. dio

I don't think the doom and gloom is warranted. Boulder has survived and thrived under DUI Distefano, the school will be fine, as will athletics.

23. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

It’s definitely possible, there are some athletic friendly regents right now outside of the bonehead two. It has been pretty common for power five schools to hire athletic friendly presidents recently because they know they are on the inside.

24. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Club Member Club Member

Yep, the pro athletics faction of the BOR is in the majority. Pretty sure we end up with someone pretty similar to Bruce.

TDforTD and onealcd like this.
  25. Not Sure

Not Sure Club Member Club Member

I wonder if the new President will move his/her office back go the Boulder campus.

26. Uncle Luko

Uncle Luko Peckerwood Club Member

Geez, I hope so. I just have a "don't **** this up" type attitude with some at CU. I wonder why?:D Anyway, congrats Bruce and hope we get the right person for the job.

TDforTD likes this.
  27. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Hopefully Rick George is part of the hiring team.

TDforTD and BatBuff like this.
  28. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

Well he probably signed off on CU's move to the Pac-12.

29. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

He advanced the stature of CU during his tenure, for sure. He's been a Buff since his undergrad days 55 years ago. His long phaseout time indicates that this was a very mutual and amicable retirement decision. Good luck to him.

onealcd likes this.
  30. zbuff

zbuff Juiceful and useful.

You didn't look 3 posts above yours? Need coffee?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.