What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

This is some bull****. If something happened and authorities wanted to hunt me down, I’m fine with that. Those regents ****ed us. There needs to be repercussions.
Mods, please modify Flounder’s name and avatar as necessary.

Last edited:
I feel about like I did when Jon Embree was hired as head football coach. Pretty certain it’s a horrible hire, but hoping to be wrong. That hire didn’t turn out very well. I hope this hire turns out better.

What’s the process to initiate recalls on a regent? Regardless of political affiliation, pretty much every regent abdicated their responsibility to every stakeholder except their voting base. There was no consideration of the input of students, faculty, or alumni.

I do not doubt Superior on this at all. It took less than 5 minutes on google to find the **** that has been brought up. What is really disturbing to me is the settiling for a canddate who does not have ties or comes from a peer institution - even from a lower role like chancellor, no fund raising experience that I have been made aware of. Those issues are big. Then his complete lack of ability in the interveiws that I have heard or watched to navigate even middle of the road questions from a difficulty standpoint.

I can believe that they went thru the correct process and have a couple of ****nuts for Regents who are unable to manage the balance of their own agendas. But I do not know how our list of candidates ended up delivering what I cannot and will not consider a viable candidate. This has nothing to do with his voting record. He just does not appear to have the chops or qualifications for the role of President of CU. There is no way one of what we consider our peer institutions would hire him.
Hasn’t communicated a vision for or an understanding of issues facing CU.

Hasn’t shown a track record as a fundraiser and his UND relations with boosters raises red flags.

Has no ties either politically or socially to Colorado.

He has no experience at a peer institution.

This was not a good choice. I’m shocked at how bad.

My main takeaway from this is that CU needs to lobby hard to change its BoR so that it’s no longer a board of politicians. Peer boards are mostly comprised of representatives of the various stakeholder groups (alumni, faculty, boosters, state, etc). This is the real problem at CU.

CU lobbying to change a system that produced its President is a bad look.

Unfortunately, any effort to change how the leadership of CU is selected needs to come from the ballot box. The reality is that the vast majority of Colorado residents don’t give two ****s about CU and couldn’t care less how the President is chosen. In addition, with how polarized we’ve become, any effort to change the political nature of the governing board will certainly be met with substantial resistance.

We are in a bad spot. I don’t know how to fix it.

Hasn’t communicated a vision for or an understanding of issues facing CU.

Hasn’t shown a track record as a fundraiser and his UND relations with boosters raises red flags.

Has no ties either politically or socially to Colorado.

He has no experience at a peer institution.

This was not a good choice. I’m shocked at how bad.

My main takeaway from this is that CU needs to lobby hard to change its BoR so that it’s no longer a board of politicians. Peer boards are mostly comprised of representatives of the various stakeholder groups (alumni, faculty, boosters, state, etc). This is the real problem at CU.

It does sound like some difficult choices had to be made at UND when he took the job. I wonder how much of the fundraising short falls during his time there are related to changing the mascot name and the blowback from boosters and alums because of it, in addition to the cuts in athletics that were made during his time there. Certainly there are some things about Kennedy that are concerning, not least of which is fundraising for a university in a state where state funding for higher education leaves a lot to be desired.

Because of my disdain for some of the Dems on the BoR, and knowing how over the top liberal faculty and students can be, I'm going to give Kennedy a chance. Having said that its interesting to me how fast the BoR 'pubs fell along party lines when Kennedy was first announced. Both sides of this suck. This was a hire the BoR really needed to come be united on and they blew it.

CU lobbying to change a system that produced its President is a bad look.

Unfortunately, any effort to change how the leadership of CU is selected needs to come from the ballot box. The reality is that the vast majority of Colorado residents don’t give two ****s about CU and couldn’t care less how the President is chosen. In addition, with how polarized we’ve become, any effort to change the political nature of the governing board will certainly be met with substantial resistance.

We are in a bad spot. I don’t know how to fix it.
Put more simply, you’re not sure?

It does sound like some difficult choices had to be made at UND when he took the job. I wonder how much of the fundraising short falls during his time there are related to changing the mascot name and the blowback from boosters and alums because of it, in addition to the cuts in athletics that were made during his time there. Certainly there are some things about Kennedy that are concerning, not least of which is fundraising for a university in a state where state funding for higher education leaves a lot to be desired.

Because of my disdain for some of the Dems on the BoR, and knowing how over the top liberal faculty and students can be, I'm going to give Kennedy a chance. Having said that its interesting to me how fast the BoR 'pubs fell along party lines when Kennedy was first announced. Both sides of this suck. This was a hire the BoR really needed to come be united on and they blew it.
The BoR will never be united. On anything. It is a poisonous committee. A sign of the times.

Put more simply, you’re not sure?
Not sure how to fix it. But I do know this: the decision has been made. We can choose to bitch and moan about it or be Buffs and work to make CU better. Whining about the decision at this point serves no purpose. We made our voices be heard by the Regents and they were ignored. That’s on us for electing them in the first place. We can wallow in self pity or choose a more constructive path.

I doubt that a mileage reimbursement is part of his auto allowance.
Typically done instead of a mileage reimbursement. At least at my company (although our President does not get one even close to as nice as Kennedy got).

Not sure how to fix it. But I do know this: the decision has been made. We can choose to bitch and moan about it or be Buffs and work to make CU better. Whining about the decision at this point serves no purpose. We made our voices be heard by the Regents and they were ignored. That’s on us for electing them in the first place. We can wallow in self pity or choose a more constructive path.
I can surely get behind that.

Ok...... Kennedy is getting ****ing PAID. Who is going to get get paid more than double Benson. Here are some other contract highlights:

- $650k/yr year one
- $850k/yr second and third year
- $80k moving budget to come from North Dakota
- $50k for visiting four communities in Colorado outside of Denver/Boulder/Co Springs.
- $50k for turning in a proposal for a diversity and inclusion campaign
- $50k for engaging in outreach efforts. Not sure what that means
- $50k for submitting a strategic plan
- Suite to CU Football games
- 4 season tix to mens and womens bball
- Sponsorship fee to a country club agreed upon between Kennedy and the Regents
- Reimbursement for reasonable expenses

Benson was earning $324k/year, which is well below market rate, but was a discount he gave to CU because 1) he loves CU and 2) he is already oil rich

Kyle Clark is the source on all this:

Okay which ABers will be in the running once Kennedy gets run out of town or hops to a pay raise somewhere else?

Taken from CNN:

Top 10 earners among public college presidents in 2013-2014

Name
Organization
Total compensation
Rodney Erickson*Pennsylvania State University$1,494,603
R. Bowen Loftin*Texas A&M University$1,128,957
Joseph Alutto*Ohio State University$996,169
Elson FloydWashington State University$877,250
Paula Allen-Meares*University of Illinois at Chicago$872,458
Francisco G. Cigarroa*University of Texas System$864,660
Renu KhatorUniversity of Houston$850,000
Patrick HarkerUniversity of Delaware$800,156
Charles W. Steger*Virginia Tech$745,195
Robert WittUniversity of Alabama$745,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bitch all you want but Kennedy's pay is around the norm for college presidents these days especially at a school like CU.

Taken from CNN:

Top 10 earners among public college presidents in 2013-2014

NameOrganizationTotal compensation
Rodney Erickson*Pennsylvania State University$1,494,603
R. Bowen Loftin*Texas A&M University$1,128,957
Joseph Alutto*Ohio State University$996,169
Elson FloydWashington State University$877,250
Paula Allen-Meares*University of Illinois at Chicago$872,458
Francisco G. Cigarroa*University of Texas System$864,660
Renu KhatorUniversity of Houston$850,000
Patrick HarkerUniversity of Delaware$800,156
Charles W. Steger*Virginia Tech$745,195
Robert WittUniversity of Alabama$745,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Bitch all you want but Kennedy's pay is around the norm for college presidents these days especially at a school like CU.
This makes it worse. By his second year, he will be the #6 earner on this list. Regardless of his political non-sense, nothing in his CV should put him anywhere near this list.

I don't know if a list of the top 10 highest salaries for university presidents is really the "norm." More so it's even more baffling that in year 2 he will be the 6th highest paid president in the country for public universities and he's had all of 3? years prior experience as a president of a university. Fan ****ing tastic.

This makes it worse. By his second year, he will be the #6 earner on this list. Regardless of his political non-sense, nothing in his CV should put him anywhere near this list.
I agree, although Jalapeno’s point is valid. This is the going rate for a University President at this level. We just hired a guy who didn’t do anything to demonstrate that he deserves the job.

Everybody has worked with somebody who they look at and say “how the Hell did you ever get this job?” Well, THAT guy is now the President of the University of Colorado. That doesn’t change the accepted pay scale for a person in that position.

Dude, that is from six years ago. Surely those salaries have risen as well.

Back