What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

Ive been waiting for the higher ed ONLY initiative. One that ties a tuition reduction to a new tax.

require that any money the state government keeps over its existing revenue limit be spent for public schools, higher education, and transportation projects, rather than returned to taxpayers.

but i guess thats just tooo limiting.
I as a voter don’t trust the legislature to do what is intended with this proposal. What I would expect is the legislature to offset whatever surplus would exist with a transfer of the same amount of existing funding and then cry that there isn’t enough money and more taxes are needed.

I did not say University of Colorado - You said - "You can see the decline in education in Colorado after TABOR.". I said US News and World Report ranked Colorado 11th in education last year. Link below - as you requested.

State Rankings
The conversation was in the context of University education in the State of Colorado. That was the context of my statement. Thanks for adding nothing.

CU is #22 in business and #31 in Engineering according US News. Similar to the rankings I recall when I went there 20 years ago. Not sure where people see the decline? I see a lot of hyperbole but not a lot of facts.

CU is #22 in business and #31 in Engineering according US News. Similar to the rankings I recall when I went there 20 years ago. Not sure where people see the decline? I see a lot of hyperbole but not a lot of facts.
Colorado was a top 50 Public University when I attended 20 years ago. It is currently 107th. Some departments are doing fine because of increased alumni support for those specific departments. The University as a whole is not better off as a direct result of TABOR.

RE: TABOR, folks like Carol
Hedges, Lois Court, and Ian Silverii have hinted at putting a full TABOR abolishment ballot initiative on the 2020 ballot. TABOR fans say "Bring it On" as it will be certain to maximize the turnout of independents and Republicans. Most Coloradans like TABOR. Keep in mind that the only counties that voted for Prop CC were Denver and Boulder.

Colorado was a top 50 Public University when I attended 20 years ago. It is currently 107th. Some departments are doing fine because of increased alumni support for those specific departments. The University as a whole is not better off as a direct result of TABOR.
False we are #44 according to US News.

False we are #44 according to US News.
???

“University of Colorado—Boulder is a public institution that was founded in 1876. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 30,152, its setting is city, and the campus size is 600 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Colorado—Boulder's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #104”

???

“University of Colorado—Boulder is a public institution that was founded in 1876. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 30,152, its setting is city, and the campus size is 600 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Colorado—Boulder's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #104”
We are 44 Public. 104 National including private. Your post said that we have consistently been a top 50 Public University, true and still true. I am not sure where to find our ranking for national overtime to do an apples to apples analysis. So far I see no signs of even a marginal slide.

We are 44 Public. 104 National including private. Your post said that we have consistently been a top 50 Public University, true and still true. I am not sure where to find our ranking for national overtime to do an apples to apples analysis. So far I see no signs of even a marginal slide.
Fair point. I stand corrected.

I as a voter don’t trust the legislature to do what is intended with this proposal. What I would expect is the legislature to offset whatever surplus would exist with a transfer of the same amount of existing funding and then cry that there isn’t enough money and more taxes are needed.
Thats why, with that language, that CC failed

Thanks for that link. I have very little optimism that the legislature could actually come up with a good system.
However I also believe the system we currently employ is about as politicized as possible.
I’d love to see a system where the governor appoints four members of a 12 member board every four years (basically every governor gets to appoint 1/3 of the board during his/her term). Two term maximum. One board chairman appointed every 2 years to break any ties and act as the public leader of the board. If one party wins three governor elections in a row, then one party will get to pick the entire board.

Sounds like the legislature may take up some BoR reforms..... not sure what they can and can't do, but will be curious to hear the ideas.

They can't actually do much.

What they can do is draft a state constitutional amendment, and then put it to the voters.

Thanks for that link. I have very little optimism that the legislature could actually come up with a good system.
However I also believe the system we currently employ is about as politicized as possible.
I’d love to see a system where the governor appoints four members of a 12 member board every four years (basically every governor gets to appoint 1/3 of the board during his/her term). Two term maximum. One board chairman appointed every 2 years to break any ties and act as the public leader of the board. If one party wins three governor elections in a row, then one party will get to pick the entire board.
Good system. Change it to 9. The governor gets 3 for every 4 year term. Let them elect their own chair if they think they need one (probably will).

Good system. Change it to 9. The governor gets 3 for every 4 year term. Let them elect their own chair if they think they need one (probably will).
I’d also do it so that the appointments come in the middle of the governors four year term.

They can't actually do much.

What they can do is draft a state constitutional amendment, and then put it to the voters.

I'm going off of memory here - but I believe they could expand the BoR. 9 regents have to be voted on by citizens, but I think they can add additional seats that can be filled by appointment.

I will see if I can go back and find that information

You want to kill athletics at CU? Colorado has gone almost full Democratic. The enemies of CU athletics on the BoR are Democrats. Look how they’ve voted on coaching decisions, pay for athletic staff, etc. Now, I’m sure most Democrats don’t hate athletics and want our sports teams to succeed. But the Regents that believe athletic funding is a waste of money are Democrats. I’m not sure why that is, but it is true.

You want to kill athletics at CU? Colorado has gone almost full Democratic. The enemies of CU athletics on the BoR are Democrats. Look how they’ve voted on coaching decisions, pay for athletic staff, etc. Now, I’m sure most Democrats don’t hate athletics and want our sports teams to succeed. But the Regents that believe athletic funding is a waste of money are Democrats. I’m not sure why that is, but it is true.
I don’t think any Colorado governor would propose any Regent who would actively work to harm any part of the University. That goes contrary to their purpose. When they’re directly elected, you get dipshits who look at CU as some kind of elitist country club who want to elect regents who share that same viewpoint. The governor should have a better handle on things, regardless of party affiliation. I don’t see guys like Romer, Ritter, Hickenlooper and Polis appointing a dumbass like Jack Kroll.

Do you think Repub regents politicizing the selection of the school President is acceptable?

Do you think Repub regents politicizing the selection of the school President is acceptable?
No. But the entire process was politicized and continues to be. At any rate, that wasn’t my point. My point was that @Not Sure’s idea would almost ensure a Democratically dominated BoR and I think it needs to be balanced.

I don’t think any Colorado governor would propose any Regent who would actively work to harm any part of the University. That goes contrary to their purpose. When they’re directly elected, you get dipshits who look at CU as some kind of elitist country club who want to elect regents who share that same viewpoint. The governor should have a better handle on things, regardless of party affiliation. I don’t see guys like Romer, Ritter, Hickenlooper and Polis appointing a dumbass like Jack Kroll.
You have more faith than I. I think the BoR should be representative of the entire state and not just Boulder/Denver who’s voters lean left and wield the most political clout.

You have more faith than I. I think the BoR should be representative of the entire state and not just Boulder/Denver who’s voters lean left and wield the most political clout.
I have no faith in the voters in places like Denver, many of whom don’t give a damn about CU, but are still allowed to elect the governing body of the school.

I find this to be a very informative thread and a very civil discourse by allbuff standards.

The single most shocking part of the article is the assertion that it’s a qualified list of candidates.

The list to me is embarrassingly poor. Mostly failed business people, mid level political hacks. (Both right and left) and very bad healthcare executives
Interesting take. What are you basing this on?

Kent Thiry is someone I know personally. Consider:

-Took a small, bankrupt dialysis company in Southern California and turned it into a Fortune 500 in, I think, 5 years. A few years later he turned it became a Fortune 200 and the largest kidney care provider in the world.

-Accomplished this by creating a dedicated (and radical in its time) "community first" work culture. The culture he created is documented in several leadership books including Kouzes and Posner's leadership challenge (which is how I first became acquainted with Kent).

-As a leader in healthcare, extended the average dialysis patient's life by 3 years, driving the entire dialysis industry to follow practices.

-A well-known figure on Capital Hill, stimulating legislation around Integrated Health Care for patients. A critical initiative in driving down healthcare costs and improving patient outcomes.

So what do you know about the other candidates? What are you basing your conclusion on? Thanks in advance for your response.

Interesting take. What are you basing this on?

Kent Thiry is someone I know personally. Consider:

-Took a small, bankrupt dialysis company in Southern California and turned it into a Fortune 500 in, I think, 5 years. A few years later he turned it became a Fortune 200 and the largest kidney care provider in the world.

-Accomplished this by creating a dedicated (and radical in its time) "community first" work culture. The culture he created is documented in several leadership books including Kouzes and Posner's leadership challenge (which is how I first became acquainted with Kent).

-As a leader in healthcare, extended the average dialysis patient's life by 3 years, driving the entire dialysis industry to follow practices.

-A well-known figure on Capital Hill, stimulating legislation around Integrated Health Care for patients. A critical initiative in driving down healthcare costs and improving patient outcomes.

So what do you know about the other candidates? What are you basing your conclusion on? Thanks in advance for your response.
Thiry may very well have been a great candidate. However DaVita does have a lot of baggage that I’m sure opponents would’ve used against him. But you have better insight than I do. I’m not saying he’s guilty of anything. Just that his opponents would bring those things up.

Thiry may very well have been a great candidate. However DaVita does have a lot of baggage that I’m sure opponents would’ve used against him. But you have better insight than I do. I’m not saying he’s guilty of anything. Just that his opponents would bring those things up.
I’m not familiar with the baggage. Say more without linking John Oliver’s union supported drivel.

I’m not familiar with the baggage. Say more without linking John Oliver’s union supported drivel.
Oh. Sorry. DaVita was accused of Medicare fraud or something and paid a pretty huge settlement. But I’m not sure if Thiry was part of that or not. DaVita has been involved in a couple of large settlements. I vaguely remember the story because my daughter had a friend who worked there at the time and my daughter actually interviewed with them for a job.

Oh. Sorry. DaVita was accused of Medicare fraud or something and paid a pretty huge settlement. But I’m not sure if Thiry was part of that or not. DaVita has been involved in a couple of large settlements.

Back