What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

I’d imagine women and gay people for starters.

I’m personally disappointed in the flag burning vote as I’d like to see an advocate of free speech across the full spectrum.
It is something they deal with on a daily basis and once again shouldn't shape anything in the future. Good lord, you know how many people that run huge companies that are huge conservative ass holes that agree with things like that? It doesn't mean that person goes around talking **** to every gay person in the company. Personal beliefs and professional relationships don't have to intersect.

A gay student or gay staff member might care if their boss wants to deny them certain rights.

And I didn't touch on abortion, but rather stem-cell research, which is different, and should concern researchers at the University and medical staff at the university research hospital?

https://www.cuanschutz.edu/research
You really think his personal belief from 2002 (when he was involved in politics) on stem cell research is going to influence what he thinks the university should do? I see about 0% change of that happening, especially with how important that is to this university.

It is something they deal with on a daily basis and once again shouldn't shape anything in the future. Good lord, you know how many people that run huge companies that are huge conservative ass holes that agree with things like that? It doesn't mean that person goes around talking **** to every gay person in the company. Personal beliefs and professional relationships don't have to intersect.

A commercial company is not a public university. They are completely different for a variety of reasons

But here is the broader point.

With all these red flags and no discernable excellence anywhere - why this guy? He didn't get along with the legislature in ND, he didn't get along with donors at ND, he didn't get along with athletics at ND. He doesn't appear to be an amazing fundraiser. He has never managed a university the size of Boulder before, much less a system that includes Denver, UCCS and Anschutz as well.

This is really the best we can do?

If you want a candidate that can be a wizbang fundraiser, then there are tons of candidates more qualified (like you did with Benson)
If you want a candidate that can better grease up the legislature, then there are tons of better candidates, including many in this state
If you want a candidate to increase retention or make college more affordable or grow the University System or whatever your goal is, it is almost guaranteed that there are better candidates with better experience from Universities that would take this job.

I would easily, EASILY take Tony Frank at CSU over this guy.
I agree with this take. Not that my opinion matters. It would appear that we got a guy who has a flashy resume at first glance, but when we dig just a little deeper, seems like a lazy choice.

I’ve seen no evidence to indicate he’s anti gay or a bigot. Don’t throw his votes in Congress out as evidence. There are several possible reasons for those votes that don’t include bias against anybody. His interactions with the ND legislature and UND donors, students and staff are more well documented and represent a far greater cause for concern.

A commercial company is not a public university. They are completely different for a variety of reasons
The point is still the same. He isn't voting on certain bills, or trying to push bills through.

It is really simple. Is gay marriage legal in Colorado? Yes. Well he can't do **** about that. Is abortion legal in Colorado? Yes, he can't do **** about that either. Stem Cell research is legal correct? and is a huge part of the CU system. The free speech one is a really good one brought up earlier so I understand that one.

Being in government and the president of a university are two completely separate things and I don't really care about what his personal political views are now, let alone in 2002. What is his vision for CU and how does he plan on getting there, that is all that really matters.

You really think his personal belief from 2002 (when he was involved in politics) on stem cell research is going to influence what he thinks the university should do? I see about 0% change of that happening, especially with how important that is to this university.
I think it becomes a very valid question that he must answer. In absence of anything he has said to retract any of his public positions, it is more likely he holds those beliefs than that he does not.

Would seem weird to me to think otherwise.

And it is quite important to the CU mission that the university continues to have policies that lead and advocate for things like medical research, women's healthcare for our students & faculty, LGBT safety/acceptance, environmental consciousness, free speech, immigrant rights, and increasing diversity.

Can Kennedy embrace those things while moderating policies with a conservative, experienced voice? If so, then his personal beliefs are not a problem. But if he is inflexible and might try to drive a culture change...

I think it becomes a very valid question that he must answer. In absence of anything he has said to retract any of his public positions, it is more likely he holds those beliefs than that he does not.

Would seem weird to me to think otherwise.

And it is quite important to the CU mission that the university continues to have policies that lead and advocate for things like medical research, women's healthcare for our students & faculty, LGBT safety/acceptance, environmental consciousness, free speech, immigrant rights, and increasing diversity.

Can Kennedy embrace those things while moderating policies with a conservative, experienced voice? If so, then his personal beliefs are not a problem. But if he is inflexible and might try to drive a culture change...
Because people say dumb things in politics all the time. They are also required to have a stance on things even if they aren't very passionate about it. They can default to what their party or base wants. It is a complicated mess. Do I think his views could have changed on gay marriage, abortion or stem cell research? Yes or course, those have changed drastically over the last 20 years or so. Do I think he will all of the sudden be some hippie about the environment, or course not but do you really think the regents would have been okay with someone coming in and taking over the flagship university system in what is basically a blue state that had a plan to say **** the environment, and stem cell research shouldn't be done at this university. If you think that happened then I think you are crazy.

I actually wouldn’t put it past these Regents to have looked at what is, on the surface, a flashy resume and decided to not dig any further. That’s not a big stretch, IMO.

Because people say dumb things in politics all the time. They are also required to have a stance on things even if they aren't very passionate about it. They can default to what their party or base wants. It is a complicated mess. Do I think his views could have changed on gay marriage, abortion or stem cell research? Yes or course, those have changed drastically over the last 20 years or so. Do I think he will all of the sudden be some hippie about the environment, or course not but do you really think the regents would have been okay with someone coming in and taking over the flagship university system in what is basically a blue state that had a plan to say **** the environment, and stem cell research shouldn't be done at this university. If you think that happened then I think you are crazy.
So you don't think he should be questioned about these topics? We should just assume that he didn't strongly believe any of the stuff he said and did as a politician? Assume that he would not act on any of those stated beliefs? It's irrelevant to hiring the CU President?

Well, from everything we have read to this point, there are some answers that need to be provided. He is supposed to represent a $4 billion dollar enterprise with thousands of employees and students. It is a high level research institution with pretty lofty fund raising needs for academics and athletics.

I will say his past should have been examined by the search committee and I would love to hear or read how and why he was picked. I cannot say that his background nor his past philosophy based on what we are seeing, are very closely aligned with the constituents of the state in which this is the flagship university.

Bottom line, I think the regents have not served the people well nor done their job in this search. When you have one regent already backtracking from their support vote because these easily found details of his background are not know to her, I think there is a lot to be desired in the process. This does not even speak to the fact that we are going after a guy who was leading a much smaller and less prestigous institution.

Guess what I am getting at there is that I think we underachieved and have horrible and lazy regents. I would wager that he has a 50/50 chance of actually becoming the President of the University of Colorado. We will see and I hope that the pressure continues from all sides on this one.

You asked a simple question. I answered it succinctly. I’m not sure where this lecture is coming from.

OMG, he may be a Christian. Our best coach ever was against gay marriage, abortion, and most leftist positions.

Again, I think it is fair to look at his political beliefs as they might relate to University issues.

He is anti LGBTQ
He is apparently somewhat anti-free speech, as he voted to make flag burning illegal
Voted No on allowing $84MM in grants for black and hispanic colleges
Voted No on Net Neutrality legislation
Voted yes to increase fines for 'indecent broadcasting'
Voted no on stem cell research
Voted against a number of environmental issues

Remember, this is a higher education institution with a strong research background and a medical campus, so having the head of your institution with certain views matters.

Maybe he is great, but there are a **** ton of warning signs. Lesley Smith posted this yesterday

So she basically said “We had a very thorough vetting process, but within 24 hours of other people knowing about him, they dug up dirt we didn’t know about”.

Fills me with confidence that the regents are competent.

So she basically said “We had a very thorough vetting process, but within 24 hours of other people knowing about him, they dug up dirt we didn’t know about”.

Fills me with confidence that the regents are competent.
Vetting process = Benson pretty much picking his successor through the cover of a search firm and the Regents knowing where their bread is buttered

Vetting process = Benson pretty much picking his successor through the cover of a search firm and the Regents knowing where their bread is buttered
Good Lord I hope not. But as I think about it, I can see that scenario as entirely possible.

Do Kennedy and Benson have a relationship or any kind of ties, outside of being Republican, that would give precedent for this theory? If they aren’t friends or haven’t really worked together in the past, I have a hard time believing Benson did the research himself found this guy and decided he was his successor.

Benson was as conservative as they come and got the job done. Not gonna pretend to know much about the new guy, my concern is his ability to swim waaaaaay upstream from some tiny, single campus school in a Dakota.

But here is the broader point.

With all these red flags and no discernable excellence anywhere - why this guy? He didn't get along with the legislature in ND, he didn't get along with donors at ND, he didn't get along with athletics at ND. He doesn't appear to be an amazing fundraiser. He has never managed a university the size of Boulder before, much less a system that includes Denver, UCCS and Anschutz as well.

This is really the best we can do?

If you want a candidate that can be a wizbang fundraiser, then there are tons of candidates more qualified (like you did with Benson)
If you want a candidate that can better grease up the legislature, then there are tons of better candidates, including many in this state
If you want a candidate to increase retention or make college more affordable or grow the University System or whatever your goal is, it is almost guaranteed that there are better candidates with better experience from Universities that would take this job.

I would easily, EASILY take Tony Frank at CSU over this guy.
I was too pissed off earlier to make this point, but this is my position. I could completely overlook the "fit" concerns with him if there was a stellar CV, but his CV to me is unimpressive.

Also, rumor is that a bunch of grad students egged the regents' cars this afternoon.

Back