What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

Mark Kennedy is going to be just fine and a year from now everyone of you will be bitching about something else that pisses you off.
Again, I hope we look back on Kennedy's tenure as having been successful, but I am deeply afraid we will not. The damage I fear he will do will not be fully evident in one year.

Again, I hope we look back on Kennedy's tenure as having been successful, but I am deeply afraid we will not. The damage I fear he will do will not be fully evident in one year.
Did you see Benson’s message to him?

“Cut the (expletive) and get on with the serious work,” said Benson, who will step down at the end of June. “Be bipartisan and forget your party affiliation. There’s so much serious work to get done.”

Of the political bipartisan mudslinging during the selection process, he said, “You hate to see that happening because you ought to forget about partisanship when you’re running a university.”

Hopefully Kennedy, the BoR and the faculty will take that advice to heart. It will start with Mr. Kennedy. He needs to make the first move toward earning trust.

Mark Kennedy is going to be just fine and a year from now everyone of you will be bitching about something else that pisses you off.

Dude stfu. You're as big a crybaby as anyone around here.

I hope Kennedy is successful and this all goes away soon. I am very concerned that the most qualified person for the job is a guy who seems to be best known for cutting budgets and has zero ties to the state as far as we know.

Dude stfu. You're as big a crybaby as anyone around here.

I hope Kennedy is successful and this all goes away soon. I am very concerned that the most qualified person for the job is a guy who seems to be best known for cutting budgets and has zero ties to the state as far as we know.
Come on man. Not cool.

I recently saw William McRaven speak. He was formerly the chancellor of the UT system. And before that the retired Admiral led US special forces at the moment Bin Ladin was captured.

I would put McRaven on the list of people who would absolutely wow me as a leader at CU.

(Old video, but representative of his humble and courageous style)

What if Kennedy turns out to be a good President?

I’m as disgusted as anybody over this. It was a mess from the get go. But if he turns out to be good for CU, don’t we have to acknowledge the Regents who put him there?

I’m highly skeptical, but I’m willing to wait and see.

I’m as disgusted as anybody over this. It was a mess from the get go. But if he turns out to be good for CU, don’t we have to acknowledge the Regents who put him there?

If you had to lay odds, what percent chance would you say that he’ll be a good president?

Then they got lucky.

Guys, let's see if he's the best CU Prez for CU athletics...I don't think we will know for another year or two.

The odds of him being very good to great are small, just as the odds of him being outright terrible are small IMO. More likely, he is in that middle range, which will require political courage from the Regents to upgrade if they are truly interested in getting the best candidate possible. Do you have confidence in the current group to make that choice?

The odds of him being very good to great are small, just as the odds of him being outright terrible are small IMO. More likely, he is in that middle range, which will require political courage from the Regents to upgrade if they are truly interested in getting the best candidate possible. Do you have confidence in the current group to make that choice?
Is this a question for me, or just a rhetorical question?

I'm struggling to define what would be 'good' from Kennedy - and that is mainly because he laid out zero vision, so I don't know how to measure him.

Fundraising I guess? I know there is another billion dollar capital campaign coming - but I have trouble giving Kennedy credit for that one, because Benson has already laid the entire foundation of that campaign. It was essentially the final, major thing that he wanted to accomplish.

I'm struggling to define what would be 'good' from Kennedy - and that is mainly because he laid out zero vision, so I don't know how to measure him.

Fundraising I guess? I know there is another billion dollar capital campaign coming - but I have trouble giving Kennedy credit for that one, because Benson has already laid the entire foundation of that campaign. It was essentially the final, major thing that he wanted to accomplish.
It’s worth discussing what success looks like. It probably means something different for everybody.

For me, is alumni engagement improved? Is the student experience improved? Is the financial situation better? How is our ranking compared to our peers? If he can figure out a way to stem the tide of ridiculous tuition increases while simultaneously accepting a higher percentage of in-state students, then I’d say that he can be considered a success. I realize that’s not all on him, but to me, that stuff is all important.

Process > Results.

I hope Kennedy is an absolute badass who we're all celebrating in 10 years.

I also hope that his BOR is 100% new faces in that time period.

Process > Results.

I hope Kennedy is an absolute badass who we're all celebrating in 10 years.

I also hope that his BOR is 100% new faces in that time period.
Disagree completely. If the process netted those results, then it needs to be acknowledged.

Blind squirrels get nuts. Hawkins made a bowl game, Bohn hired a good coach, I found a woman to marry me. Doesn't mean that it should be rewarded.
This same process brought us Bruce Benson and Hank Brown.

I’m of the opinion that the process is fine. It’s the individuals implementing it that are the problem. However, if Kennedy turns out to be a good choice, I don’t see how you can fault the process that chose him.

33% chance of success, IMO, but my opinion is meaningless.

Why is your opinion meaningless? Are you not a Colorado alum or someone who currently votes for the Board of Regents?

I don’t have much faith in 33% as a number, but if we were betting an american football game, he’d be approximately a 7 point underdog with that confidence percentage. There are some full TD underdogs who win outright but it doesn’t happen all too often.

That’s my frustration. Where are the non hack people who think Kennedy should be a TD favorite to be a success? We have a lot of “I hopes” and not a lot of confidence. This isn’t what the great University of Colorado deserves.

It’s worth discussing what success looks like. It probably means something different for everybody.

For me, is alumni engagement improved? Is the student experience improved? Is the financial situation better? How is our ranking compared to our peers? If he can figure out a way to stem the tide of ridiculous tuition increases while simultaneously accepting a higher percentage of in-state students, then I’d say that he can be considered a success. I realize that’s not all on him, but to me, that stuff is all important.

I guess.

What I will look at is the technology thing. He basically made it sounds like he wants to create more online degree programs. So we will see if those materialize and if they are successful.

Why is your opinion meaningless? Are you not a Colorado alum or someone who currently votes for the Board of Regents?

I don’t have much faith in 33% as a number, but if we were betting an american football game, he’d be approximately a 7 point underdog with that confidence percentage. There are some full TD underdogs who win outright but it doesn’t happen all too often.

That’s my frustration. Where are the non hack people who think Kennedy should be a TD favorite to be a success? We have a lot of “I hopes” and not a lot of confidence. This isn’t what the great University of Colorado deserves.
My opinion is meaningless because it has no direct bearing in his actual performance. I think he was a terrible choice. So what? That and $.25 will get you a phone call to somebody who gives a ****. I let my opinion be known before the hire was made. They made it anyway. Nothing I can do about it now. Might as well give the guy a chance and see what he can do. If he fails, then I was right. If he succeeds, then we were wrong and the Regents were right. I’m hoping I’m wrong.

This same process brought us Bruce Benson and Hank Brown.

I’m of the opinion that the process is fine. It’s the individuals implementing it that are the problem. However, if Kennedy turns out to be a good choice, I don’t see how you can fault the process that chose him.

You're basically agreeing with me. As I said in my original post, I want all of the members of the BOR replaced - regardless of Kennedy doing well or not. Because they suck and they screwed up the process. Kennedy being good or bad has no bearing on my feelings for the BOR.

As a CU alum I'm done. Unsubscribed from all their mailing lists and told them to stop calling me for donations.

Yeah, I'll still watch football.

Back