What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Perry's Happiness

Not Winning is not the reason for either departure.
Disappointing, Aaron was one of the bright spots on this D. Would like to know the backstory here, which could be a lot of reasons which I'll hold off guessing. Disappointed he won't be back. Rough year here, a lot of freshmen playing now.

Show me mode with these coaches now-Saturday was a performance that reminded me of Embree's teams. Two weeks in a row I've turned the game off early.

Disappointing, Aaron was one of the bright spots on this D. Would like to know the backstory here, which could be a lot of reasons which I'll hold off guessing. Disappointed he won't be back. Rough year here, a lot of freshmen playing now.
Story I’ve heard was he has been back talking coaches a lot since they arrived, and demanded to be starting when he healed up. Rakestraw is doing well and Tucker didn’t take well to demands from a player. Supposedly on the ramp to fly out told him to stay home. (This from a few different places and hopefully past the 24 hour rule).

Story I’ve heard was he has been back talking coaches a lot since they arrived, and demanded to be starting when he healed up. Rakestraw is doing well and Tucker didn’t take well to demands from a player. Supposedly on the ramp to fly out told him to stay home. (This from a few different places and hopefully past the 24 hour rule).
Well, if that is true, HCMT did the right thing. He does not strike me as a guy who would take kindly to being told what to do as HC...especially from a player.

Last edited:
It is always disappointing when attrition occurs, but it is what it is. Maddux was a solid contributor before he got hurt, but Rackstraw has really improved a ton. He is faster and more physical--although Aaron did very well. There is the unwritten rule about returning after injury, but it is just that--unwritten. Certainly, a player cannot make huge waves in handling the situation. I can't blame him for not wanting to be a back-up, however the question is whether he will thrive at his new destination?? Also, we have to remember, entering the portal does not automatically mean the player leaves. Perhaps cooler heads may prevail, and Maddux and the CU staff will stay in touch. This sounds like high emotions, and the dust needs to settle.

Jones was always a lost talent on me. When HCMM recruited him, it was understood he would have opportunities. For whatever reason, those never materialized under HCMM and he got soundly beat out before the season. With his measurables, I did not predict this. I thought Harris would start, but he would be in the 2 TE sets. I would have loved to have seen him be a weapon in the slot or with his size run block. Obviously, neither of these seemed to come together. It will be interesting to see if his career is done.

For this thread, we should not be reading player's tweets and reporting on them. These are 18-22 year old athletes with a ton of stuff going through their heads. They are college kids. I am glad that Perry is seeing the field and his experience will probably dictate what he does. We should never speculate on what a college athlete is thinking week to week. Who knows, with Maddux departing, Perry may move into his natural safety spot and thrive. Taylor will be difficult to replace at Star Backer, but MT will recruit this.

I am impressed that MT is playing so many kids. The best thing for a coaching staff to do for recruits or players is to be honest where things stand. Given all the injuries at DB, it would have been nice if Ronnie Blackmon stayed, but if the staff was honest with him, they were protecting the player. Same goes with Trey Udoffia, if him red-shirting this year makes him a better fit in this new defense, then that is a good move.

Will be interesting to see where he lands next. Hopefully he settles down and stays, doesn't sound like he'll be helping anytime soon regardless. Perry is a bright spot and took over Rakestraws old spot, he should be plenty happy as a true frosh. Maddox should change his attitude, we could really use all three of them in the rotation.

It is always disappointing when attrition occurs, but it is what it is. Maddux was a solid contributor before he got hurt, but Rackstraw has really improved a ton. He is faster and more physical--although Aaron did very well. There is the unwritten rule about returning after injury, but it is just that--unwritten. Certainly, a player cannot make huge waves in handling the situation. I can't blame him for not wanting to be a back-up, however the question is whether he will thrive at his new destination?? Also, we have to remember, entering the portal does not automatically mean the player leaves. Perhaps cooler heads may prevail, and Maddux and the CU staff will stay in touch. This sounds like high emotions, and the dust needs to settle.

Jones was always a lost talent on me. When HCMM recruited him, it was understood he would have opportunities. For whatever reason, those never materialized under HCMM and he got soundly beat out before the season. With his measurables, I did not predict this. I thought Harris would start, but he would be in the 2 TE sets. I would have loved to have seen him be a weapon in the slot or with his size run block. Obviously, neither of these seemed to come together. It will be interesting to see if his career is done.

For this thread, we should not be reading player's tweets and reporting on them. These are 18-22 year old athletes with a ton of stuff going through their heads. They are college kids. I am glad that Perry is seeing the field and his experience will probably dictate what he does. We should never speculate on what a college athlete is thinking week to week. Who knows, with Maddux departing, Perry may move into his natural safety spot and thrive. Taylor will be difficult to replace at Star Backer, but MT will recruit this.

I am impressed that MT is playing so many kids. The best thing for a coaching staff to do for recruits or players is to be honest where things stand. Given all the injuries at DB, it would have been nice if Ronnie Blackmon stayed, but if the staff was honest with him, they were protecting the player. Same goes with Trey Udoffia, if him red-shirting this year makes him a better fit in this new defense, then that is a good move.
Jones didn’t have “want to” as reported. I saw him practice trying to recover fumbles last year with Bernardi. Should have been run off then and there.

Jones didn’t have “want to” as reported. I saw him practice trying to recover fumbles last year with Bernardi. Should have been run off then and there.

I heard the same things. I have to say, I am surprised that HCMM missed on him so badly. Although they did not consistently recruit the best talent, they only had a few outright misses. Sure they had attritition, kids got into trouble etc... but misses on talent were few and far between.

Every good coach has attrition when he comes into a losing program. Even bad coaches have that (Scott Frost). Sometimes a guy like Onu leaves and we think that makes a giant statement about how screwed up SMU must be (hint, they are the leading G5 team in the country at the moment).

Pretty hard for us to judge whether this is necessary or not, but more than a few hints that Maddox wasn't buying in. Blackmon, Wigley and Udoffia may not have earned PT despite these injuries, but they certainly weren't going to play minus those injuries. Personally just as soon see the 2 Frosh get that playing time than lose with Wigley not being able to find the ball (ever).

Every good coach has attrition when he comes into a losing program. Even bad coaches have that (Scott Frost). Sometimes a guy like Onu leaves and we think that makes a giant statement about how screwed up SMU must be (hint, they are the leading G5 team in the country at the moment).

Pretty hard for us to judge whether this is necessary or not, but more than a few hints that Maddox wasn't buying in. Blackmon, Wigley and Udoffia may not have earned PT despite these injuries, but they certainly weren't going to play minus those injuries. Personally just as soon see the 2 Frosh get that playing time than lose with Wigley not being able to find the ball (ever).

Grad Transfers can't be overthought-For all we know (Using Onu as an example here-I couldn't find the Masters Program he's enrolled in in his CU website bio), there might have been a Masters program here that he really wanted to pursue that SMU didn't offer for example. Anyway you swing it-CU's a hell of an academic institution and a Masters degree from here will only help him post football.

Grad Transfers can't be overthought-For all we know (Using Onu as an example here-I couldn't find the Masters Program he's enrolled in in his CU website bio), there might have been a Masters program here that he really wanted to pursue that SMU didn't offer for example. Anyway you swing it-CU's a hell of an academic institution and a Masters degree from here will only help him post football.
Very few grad transfers ever stay around longer than the fall semester at these destination schools. I seriously doubt that masters degree programs really enter into many of these decisions.

He looks so small right now. Other than that, not much to conclude yet.
Yeah, three games into a true freshman campaign seems a bit quick to label him a miss. Especially because opposing teams plan to throw all over us due to our issues in the secondary overall. Kid is getting thrown directly into the fire with little room to make mistakes as he learns.

As Duff said, he looks physically small, but otherwise there should be no judgement on him. He was not supposed to be a day one guy. Hopefully this year prepares him to be a really good player next year and beyond

Some pretty great CBs looked terrible their first year starting here. Recently, we had both Jimmy Smith and Ahkello Witherspoon initially give huge cushions, fail to make pays on the ball and be unreliable tacklers in their year ones.

Not saying that Trujillo will also become an elite college CB. Just pointing out that struggling in the first year starting at that position doesn't close the book on a guy in the least.

Some pretty great CBs looked terrible their first year starting here. Recently, we had both Jimmy Smith and Ahkello Witherspoon initially give huge cushions, fail to make pays on the ball and be unreliable tacklers in their year ones.

Not saying that Trujillo will also become an elite college CB. Just pointing out that struggling in the first year starting at that position doesn't close the book on a guy in the least.
He isn't playing afraid. Tough kid. Doesn't look out of place.

Back