What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mass Confusion - A 1st hand account of the game

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I just lifted the following from the Rivals board where NB was credited without link as the originator. If you can laugh while reading it, you've progressed to a better place than I.

Mass Confusion

That's the only fitting description for what I witnessed sat night. I was sitting 50 yard line, 3 rows back, heard and saw everything.

-it's the coaches. if you don't believe it, you're in denial. these kids are massively confused in all facets of the game. mcghee, kennedy, brown, embree, all of them scream their heads off at the team on the sidelines, and the players look like they speak an entirely different language. after the screaming, it's exasperation. as in, "I give up, you don't get it". embree is the biggest offender of this tactic. he'll trudge off and sulk away throughout the game.

-brown looks totally lost. almost as if he started coaching these guys 5 min before kickoff.

-they don't know how to coach college! it's obvious. all that nfl knowledge doesn't translate to coaching college players. the idea of simplifying isn't sinking in to this staff. on offense, the line and the qb have no clue what play to run almost every play. they stare at the sidelines and rarely got a play off with less than 5 sec on the clock. there's boards, hand signals, no huddle, plays at the line of scrimmage, looking back at the sidelines, everyone is panicked and yelling, no one is one the same page. no one is prepared! its mass confusion on the sidelines.

-stop with the "who would win with our team" crap. there are a ton of athletes on both sides of the ball. certainly as many as fresno. but we play like we're dyslexic and have no strategy or football instincts. too much thinking going on. too much "technique", not enough common sense football.

offense

-webb is bad, no other way to say it. consistently doesn't see open guys downfield and tends to run into traffic. when he forces it, it's 6pts for the defense. on the sidelines, he's not a "light a fire under the team" guy. more of a whisper into one guys ear type. couldn't wait for him to be benched. flat out don't like his game or persona. odd note, he spits quite a bit on the sidelines.

-wood is better, in that he can read downfield, but made bad decisions that got picked. neither qb exuded confidence, but wood was excited for the opportunity. it has to be hard to run this offense, unless you're stafford or brady. wood got some seriously bad play calls from the coaches. why run a bootleg right with one reciever on the right, who happens to be quadruple teamed blanketed, with the 3 other wrs on the other side of the field wondering why they weren't thrown the ball? wtf! that's bad play calling.

-hirshman looked the best, which says a lot since he only threw it three times. he is animated on the sidelines, more than the other two. his deep ball to ebner was real nice. a cannon for an arm. I'd start him next game for sure, even though I'm not sure what he really brings other than passion. odd note, he usually is the one to pick up the phone from bienemy, which was ringing off the hook all game.

-the idea of calling an qb audible is so far from our capabilities you can forget it this year or ever with this staff. we will go into a play knowing its a disaster, but won't call audibles. wood tried to alert the ol numerous times of impending disaster, but they're not on the same page either.

-nembot is a beast! seriously, our best ol. munyer is atrocious. easily the worst. saw him immediately double team help and let a guy blow right by him to the qb. lewis gets too much pt. seems to be a hot head without the production. no one else on ol stood out. we're very predictable so i cant put it all on the ol. cotner has huge arms, so does richter. mustoe and irwin look the part. we need 10 nembots. these ol are so poorly coached they're out of the snap and look like theyre possessed by some hindu ritual dance technique, where they pop up and start defending people that aren't there, but they're staying true to the play call. ugh! what is that? what team does that?

-our wrs are managed terribly. why are we 30 yards downfield every play? coaching! if Webb/wood/hirshman have 5 sec before their swarmed, why not have them run shorter routes? wtf. other teams kill us with short slant routes, and we have to run 10 sec routes, I don't get it.

-wrs all seemed ok, but McCullough is hit or miss with his hands. not enough thomas. should be out there every play. was on the sidelines way too much, same with Thornton. no quick slants to canty or Thomas = failure.

-kasa is not a te. I don't know what he is, but he's not a te. te in general is a non factor on offense. Hobbs looks legit, slavin has good hands.

-powell is good. no one else looks legit. ford looked the fastest actually. everyone else seemed to run right into traffic, no football smarts.

defense

-smith and orms. they were targeted all game. all game! throw it over the middle and it's a td. I like bell. mosley shows the most emotion on the sidelines. Vigo makes too many errors. crawley and wright get hit with too many flags but the effort and skill are apparent. but we can't play orms and smith and expect to win. and they're out there all the time. bad coaching decisions. have to try someone else. anyone! you don't give up that much yardage and say "let's look at the tape". you can play backup wrs and get better production from our safeties.

-blacken has to be ashamed and should resign. we got manhandled by less athletic guys. absolutely pushed around on all fronts. please quit.

-our lbs can't tackle. we dance on defense. we can see the guy with the ball, get close enough to tackle him, then dance around him till he gets an extra 5-10 yards. major is not a good tackler, but he makes a decent play here and there. he's over-hyped. Webb is solid.

-washington is not an lb with those tackling skills. maybe he's a safety, not sure.

-this is all to say, they have NO football instincts. they're thinking too much. that's coaching. again, you need a certain type if coach to train college players. this staff is terrible at it. I bet the beamers, bowdens, sabens of the world know how to coach and teach non-professional athletes. can embree figure it out? sure, but it will be years from now, but not anytime soon. you give embree the alabama team, and they lose every game. they are that bad at preparing a team.

Wow what a telling, painful and insightful post. I wish I could rep him but I can't so Nik gets it.

I just lifted the following from the Rivals board where NB was credited without link as the originator. If you can laugh while reading it, you've progressed to a better place than I.

Mass Confusion

That's the only fitting description for what I witnessed sat night. I was sitting 50 yard line, 3 rows back, heard and saw everything.

-it's the coaches. if you don't believe it, you're in denial. these kids are massively confused in all facets of the game. mcghee, kennedy, brown, embree, all of them scream their heads off at the team on the sidelines, and the players look like they speak an entirely different language. after the screaming, it's exasperation. as in, "I give up, you don't get it". embree is the biggest offender of this tactic. he'll trudge off and sulk away throughout the game.

-brown looks totally lost. almost as if he started coaching these guys 5 min before kickoff.

-they don't know how to coach college! it's obvious. all that nfl knowledge doesn't translate to coaching college players. the idea of simplifying isn't sinking in to this staff. on offense, the line and the qb have no clue what play to run almost every play. they stare at the sidelines and rarely got a play off with less than 5 sec on the clock. there's boards, hand signals, no huddle, plays at the line of scrimmage, looking back at the sidelines, everyone is panicked and yelling, no one is one the same page. no one is prepared! its mass confusion on the sidelines.

-stop with the "who would win with our team" crap. there are a ton of athletes on both sides of the ball. certainly as many as fresno. but we play like we're dyslexic and have no strategy or football instincts. too much thinking going on. too much "technique", not enough common sense football.

offense

-webb is bad, no other way to say it. consistently doesn't see open guys downfield and tends to run into traffic. when he forces it, it's 6pts for the defense. on the sidelines, he's not a "light a fire under the team" guy. more of a whisper into one guys ear type. couldn't wait for him to be benched. flat out don't like his game or persona. odd note, he spits quite a bit on the sidelines.

-wood is better, in that he can read downfield, but made bad decisions that got picked. neither qb exuded confidence, but wood was excited for the opportunity. it has to be hard to run this offense, unless you're stafford or brady. wood got some seriously bad play calls from the coaches. why run a bootleg right with one reciever on the right, who happens to be quadruple teamed blanketed, with the 3 other wrs on the other side of the field wondering why they weren't thrown the ball? wtf! that's bad play calling.

-hirshman looked the best, which says a lot since he only threw it three times. he is animated on the sidelines, more than the other two. his deep ball to ebner was real nice. a cannon for an arm. I'd start him next game for sure, even though I'm not sure what he really brings other than passion. odd note, he usually is the one to pick up the phone from bienemy, which was ringing off the hook all game.

-the idea of calling an qb audible is so far from our capabilities you can forget it this year or ever with this staff. we will go into a play knowing its a disaster, but won't call audibles. wood tried to alert the ol numerous times of impending disaster, but they're not on the same page either.

-nembot is a beast! seriously, our best ol. munyer is atrocious. easily the worst. saw him immediately double team help and let a guy blow right by him to the qb. lewis gets too much pt. seems to be a hot head without the production. no one else on ol stood out. we're very predictable so i cant put it all on the ol. cotner has huge arms, so does richter. mustoe and irwin look the part. we need 10 nembots. these ol are so poorly coached they're out of the snap and look like theyre possessed by some hindu ritual dance technique, where they pop up and start defending people that aren't there, but they're staying true to the play call. ugh! what is that? what team does that?

-our wrs are managed terribly. why are we 30 yards downfield every play? coaching! if Webb/wood/hirshman have 5 sec before their swarmed, why not have them run shorter routes? wtf. other teams kill us with short slant routes, and we have to run 10 sec routes, I don't get it.

-wrs all seemed ok, but McCullough is hit or miss with his hands. not enough thomas. should be out there every play. was on the sidelines way too much, same with Thornton. no quick slants to canty or Thomas = failure.

-kasa is not a te. I don't know what he is, but he's not a te. te in general is a non factor on offense. Hobbs looks legit, slavin has good hands.

-powell is good. no one else looks legit. ford looked the fastest actually. everyone else seemed to run right into traffic, no football smarts.

defense

-smith and orms. they were targeted all game. all game! throw it over the middle and it's a td. I like bell. mosley shows the most emotion on the sidelines. Vigo makes too many errors. crawley and wright get hit with too many flags but the effort and skill are apparent. but we can't play orms and smith and expect to win. and they're out there all the time. bad coaching decisions. have to try someone else. anyone! you don't give up that much yardage and say "let's look at the tape". you can play backup wrs and get better production from our safeties.

-blacken has to be ashamed and should resign. we got manhandled by less athletic guys. absolutely pushed around on all fronts. please quit.

-our lbs can't tackle. we dance on defense. we can see the guy with the ball, get close enough to tackle him, then dance around him till he gets an extra 5-10 yards. major is not a good tackler, but he makes a decent play here and there. he's over-hyped. Webb is solid.

-washington is not an lb with those tackling skills. maybe he's a safety, not sure.

-this is all to say, they have NO football instincts. they're thinking too much. that's coaching. again, you need a certain type if coach to train college players. this staff is terrible at it. I bet the beamers, bowdens, sabens of the world know how to coach and teach non-professional athletes. can embree figure it out? sure, but it will be years from now, but not anytime soon. you give embree the alabama team, and they lose every game. they are that bad at preparing a team.
:wow: sounds about right

Mass Confusion

I believe this to be accurate. I've noticed JE & Co appear to be a bunch of screamers. Make a mistake, get screamed at. Scream, yell, rant, rave.

How about teach, coach, and adjust instead??? I'm not saying show no emotion, but when adversity hits during a game, college players, especially young/inexperienced ones, need to see some confidence from the coaches that they know what to do. Instead, they're just expecting to get ranted at for a mistake.

The ranting and the raving causes JE & Co to lose credibility as the world looks on, knowing quite well they have no clue about coaching in the college game.

Go ahead Embree & Co, feel free to prove me wrong--your players are going to tune you out, clearly some have started already.

This seems to confirm what I've heard in other places. Coaches in over their heads and incompetent, Major is a joke, talent with no direction. Generally a cluster****. Can't wait til these guys are fired and we get some real coaches in there and the upperclassmen are gone/benched.

If our admin had a ****ing clue what to do, these guys would be gone before the UCLA game.

Get rid of this thread! It is not true! It is not true! It is....ok....its true. I give. :sad1:

Honestly, Embo does not deserve that.

Maybe not, but if these kids are being berated by a bunch of incompetents and playing the worst football we've ever witnessed at CU something's gonna give.

This guy hit the nail on the head with the coaching and the "who could win with these guys" routine getting old. I sort of empathized with Embree last year, inheriting a bunch of Hawk's players and having to adjust from the NFL where you could just cut a guy when he underperformed.

But now that he's in year two and he has clearly not coached these guys up, it's becoming clear that we hired a guy who is in over his head to clean up the mess from the last guy who was in over his head. Even I completely underestimated the worst-case downside of this hire.

I think the OP's commentary gives an answer to the important question of "Why?"

If players have quit, why? Well, one answer has been, "They've learned it from 2-3 years with Hawkins."

So why hasn't one year with Embree & Co taught ANYTHING differently? Good grief - they're playing The In-State Rival. Or Sac State. Or Fresno with a stripped down squad and a first-year coach.

Why have the players quit? "Because they haven't learned any different behavior." They see no reason to - this coaching staff isn't showing them any reason to.

Embree screaming, then walking away sulking, has basically been on a loop since Hawaii.

Absolutely the worst characteristic to have as a coach. There is no better way to lose your team than to yell at kids who are 1) overmatched, 2) inexperienced, or 3) poorly coached.

Its not like these kids are TRYING to screw things up. COACH them. TEACH them. Don't berate them.

If there is one reason to get rid of Embree and his staff, this is it.

Absolutely the worst characteristic to have as a coach. There is no better way to lose your team than to yell at kids who are 1) overmatched, 2) inexperienced, or 3) poorly coached.

Its not like these kids are TRYING to screw things up. COACH them. TEACH them. Don't berate them.

If there is one reason to get rid of Embree and his staff, this is it.

Different management styles are needed for different personalities and different situations. One note managers are never successful.

I was just telling someone the other day that my job has become 1 part a shoulder to cry on, 1 part a pat on the back, 1 part a boot in the ass and 1 part providing vision. The boot wouldn't work in every situation.

Different management styles are needed for different personalities and different situations. One note managers are never successful.

I was just telling someone the other day that my job has become 1 part a shoulder to cry on, 1 part a pat on the back, 1 part a boot in the ass and 1 part providing vision. The boot wouldn't work in every situation.

0 part sulking.

Something needs to be done soon, it's only going to get worse as CU FOOTBALL becomes a oxymoron running joke. :bang:

Back