What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Match Thread - Soccer visits #2 No. Carolina in 2nd round of NCAA Tournament (Friday, 3:50 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go get the Tar Heels Buffs!

Looks like they've already been in Carolina-

Preview -

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11...into-ncaa-match-with-no-2-north-carolina.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado's women's soccer team will head to North Carolina on Friday to take on the No. 2-ranked Tar Heels in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. It is a rematch of CU's second-round match in 2014 when UNC edged the Buffs 1-0 in overtime.

Four players remain on CU's roster from that 2014 match, including seniors Courtney Fedor and Joss Orejel, and redshirt juniors Nancy Best and Scout Watson.

At the time in 2014, North Carolina was ranked No. 6 in the nation and the Tar Heels certainly controlled the match, outshooting CU 22-2. But outstanding play by the Buffs defense and goalkeeper Kate Scheele forced the match to overtime. Scheele made six saves before Maya Worth put one past her in the 95th minute.

"I thought we competed really well in the game," head coach Danny Sanchez said. "In hindsight, we didn't do enough going forward to deserve a result. When they got one in overtime it wasn't a big surprise. We were under pressure the majority of the match. Having said that, I thought we defended really well. Kate Scheele was spectacular in goal to keep us in it. We didn't do enough to put them under enough pressure. They were able to send a lot of players forward so we'll have to do a better job on Friday."
"

Live Video (ACC Network Extra broadcast) - Link should be visible via link at http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?categoryId=5&startDate=20171117&type=upcoming by the start of the match. Edit- direct link to video is http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3222569/colorado-vs-north-carolina-second-round .
(UNC's preview article says "All three games this coming weekend will be webcast nationally free of charge on ACC Network Extra with live streaming on WatchESPN and the ESPN App." So, hopefully this match will be watchable without ACC network access as part of our TV subscription.)

Live Stats - http://www.ncaa.com/game/soccer-women/d1/2017/11/17/colorado-north-carolina

Last edited:
Kornieck has to leave the field after a contested header. Hopefully not a concussion.

5' left. Buffs are definitely playing better this half and playing more aggressive but still down 1-0.

And 0-1 is the final.

Year by year you can see the Buffs able to compete better and better against the top teams. Hope they have a great off-season, and get ready to kick b**t next season.

Losing 0-1 at North Carolina is nothing to hang your heads about. Program is in great shape and the seniors should be so proud of what they accomplished in their 4 years.

Watches much of the first half. NC was able to hold the majority of the possession, but CU really did a good job keeping them from getting good shots. The goal came of a scramble and rebound.

Except for last weekend when the Buffs came back from an 0-1 deficit to DU they haven't been able to come back. On the other hand, they have done more than their fair share of shutting out the opposition as well.

Next season the team should better on the attacking end than they ever have been - assuming three injured players come back healthy and happy. (Jorian Baucom, Libby Geraghty, Stephanie Zuniga.)

Watches much of the first half. NC was able to hold the majority of the possession, but CU really did a good job keeping them from getting good shots. The goal came of a scramble and rebound.

Except for last weekend when the Buffs came back from an 0-1 deficit to DU they haven't been able to come back. On the other hand, they have done more than their fair share of shutting out the opposition as well.

Next season the team should better on the attacking end than they ever have been - assuming three injured players come back healthy and happy. (Jorian Baucom, Libby Geraghty, Stephanie Zuniga.)
On the goal, it looked like CU was trying to avoid giving UNC a corner kick and UNC took advantage by making a play in tight space.

Article on today's match-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11...s-1-0-in-second-round-of-ncaa-tournament.aspx

"
CARY, N.C. – No. 2 North Carolina scored in the 26th minute and held on for a 1-0 victory over Colorado on Friday evening at WakeMed Soccer Park. The Buffs ended their season with a 12-6-4 record, while UNC improved to 17-2-2.

KEY STATISTICS: North Carolina outshot CU 19-11 in the match, but the shots were an even 8-8 over the final 45 minutes. Tompkins finished with seven saves.

NOTES: The Buffs dropped to 0-5 all-time against North Carolina ... Tompkins finished the season with CU's single-season goals-against average record (0.58), edging Kirstin Radlinski's previous mark from 2008 by .001 ... the team's 0.61 GAA broke the previous school record of 0.69 from 2003 ... Tompkins's .882 save percentage broke Radlinski's mark of .855 from 2008 (Tompkins's 2016 save percentage of .855 is third all-time) ... it is the eighth time CU has advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament in its 10th postseason appearance ... CU reached the third round in 2006 and 2013.

UP NEXT: The loss ends CU's season. North Carolina will take on Princeton in the third round on Sunday.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Danny Sanchez, head coach
On the game
"I'm disappointed we didn't get the result, but when you really look at it, [I'm proud], and I'm not just saying I'm really proud of the effort because the season is over. I feel like I want to keep playing. I want this team to continue to build. If you look at the course of the game, credit to North Carolina, they did more on the night for sure. But at the end of the night, JJ only had to make one tough save and unfortunately the rebound fell to one of them. I thought we defended great. I thought the back four were fantastic. Kelsey [Aaknes], Hannah [Cardenas], Alex [Vidger] and Joss [Orejel] were fantastic. And I'm really proud of some of our players who stepped up with players out. Sarah [Kinzner]'s battling the flu and she gutted it out and played 60 minutes tonight; I'm really proud of her. Megan [Massey], Nancy [Best], Hannah Scheidplayed her most minutes as a Buff in her last game and played her best game. Taylor was all over the place and took a knock in the first half, but was not going to back down. Our front runners had to do a lot of work on both sides of the ball. I'm leaving someone out, but I'm really proud of the effort of the group. We needed something to fall our way and it didn't, so there's no shame in that. But we laid it all on the line so I'm proud of that.

On the team's scoring chances
"I thought Marty had a good chance early in the game. Something had to fall our way and it didn't happen. I was really proud of the last 30 minutes. We changed our tactics; we had to open the game up a little bit and I thought that we created some good chances in the box. Not a clear chance, but they only had one clear chance as well. We had a lot of half chances. We needed just a little more in the final third. I really liked how we pressed and felt we had energy. Our outside backs were getting forward. Joss and especially Kelsey were all over the place. [It was] just not enough, but I'm proud of energy we brought and we battled to the end"

On the seniors
"Although we weren't able to get Courtney Fedor a lot of minutes late in the season, her leadership and her commitment—she's just a super Buff and I'm really proud of everything she's done. Hannah Scheid, not being able to play last year, then being injured most of this year, then coming in tonight and just doing whatever we wanted, no matter what—she was committed to whatever role and positive. I'm really pleased with her. And this was Joss's best season. We challenged her last spring to raise her game, raise her leadership and have her best season as a senior and I thought she was lights out tonight. She was fantastic, she defended great, got forward, and served some really good balls on the corner. I'm really proud of this group of seniors, but also when I look forward, we started one seniors tonight. So we're really excited about the future of this program, really excited about the direction that we're going. The more you get in these big games, the more experience you get, the more comfortable you get. I thought we were more comfortable tonight than we were last year against South Carolina [in the second round]. You can't win these games if you don't get in them and sometimes you have to lose them for a bit. We're really champing at the bit to get going in 2018."
"

Boxscore - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=10147

Highlights -

Agree with what Pat Rooney is saying in his piece. The Buffs should be better next season - they will be loaded, especially on the attacking end.

Back