What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread - (RV) Soccer hosts Austin Peay (Thurs., 9/5, 4:00 MT) & Baylor (Sunday, 1:00 MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Hope the Buffs finish off this long season-opening home stand with 2 more W's!

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/4/soccer-closes-homestand-with-austin-peay-and-baylor.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado soccer team will wrap up its season-long six-match homestand with a pair of matches this weekend. The Buffaloes will put their 4-0-0 record on the line against Austin Peay on Thursday and Baylor on Sunday.

Colorado has strung together four wins to start the season, scoring two goals in each contest. The consistency of the Buffs has been solid with the team showing progression from the start of week one.

"I think we've been pretty consistent," head coach Danny Sanchez noted. "I think we've made some progressions like any team after four games. I think that defensively we've been good. I've been pleased with the back four and the players that have subbed in there and obviously, JJ in goal. We have been pretty consistent and not giving up a lot of opportunities."

CU's home slate will be halfway done after the weekend's action. Colorado will play one more non-conference home match against Northern Colorado (Sept. 19) before hosting five matches in Pac-12 play. A 6-0 start at home would be a big boost before entering the challenging Pac-12 season.

"We're just trying to win the next one," Sanchez said. "Being at home is an advantage for us. We need to take advantage when we're at home because when we go on the road, it's difficult. We have two more games this weekend in Austin Peay who had a very good year last year. I know the coach very well. She's very good. She'll come in with a good game plan for us tomorrow. Probably something we haven't seen yet. We need to be prepared for that. Then obviously Baylor on the weekend is a top-20 caliber team. We're excited that we're at 4-0 at this point and taking care of business, but we know we need to be better."

About Austin Peay
The Buffs and Governors will play for the first time in program history on Thursday. While Austin Peay (0-2-1) is not a familiar team on the schedule, there will be familiarity.

Austin Peay's head coach, Naomi Kolarova, played for Sanchez and Dave Morgan at Metro State.

"Naomi came to us for her senior year," Sanchez explained. "She was already a three-time All-American and became a four-time All-American after one year with us. She was a great leader. She played the whole season with bronchitis and struggled but just willed us to the Elite Eight.

"She was a fantastic leader and I'm very excited that she got into coaching. I just knew she had that demeanor, the work rate and the personality to be successful. I have nothing but respect for her and I know she'll be super successful."

Fans will be treated to free pizza at the game while supplies last.

About Baylor
The Bears dropped out of the United Soccer Coaches rankings this week following a 1-1 draw to Nebraska on Sunday. The Bears opened the season with a 4-2 win over Northwestern State and also have a 1-0 decision against Drake. The former Big 12 rival finished 20-6 last season and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament. They are coached by Paul Jabson who is in his seventh leading the Bears.

Local mascots including Bernie (Colorado Avalanche), Dinger (Colorado Rockies), Clyde (UCCS), Milo (CU Denver) and Louie (Polidori) will join Chip. Fans in attendance will also receive cowbells.
"

Match notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/9/4//Week_3.pdf

Match Media links -
Live video -

Vs. Austin Peay (Thursday, 4:00 PM MT) : Will be viewable via a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/pac-12-plus (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Vs. Texas (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT) : Match is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume the match can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2019/09/08/baylor-colorado .

Live stats (Both matches) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

Way to go Buffs! (The 2nd goal was an own goal also helped along by Yarnell-Williams, as she chased a ball down on the right side and sent a tough hard cross into the box that a defender pounded into her own net.)

Well, it was good news for me that the match was delayed for an hour plus as that meant I could watch the entire match.

Austin Peay didn’t back down for a minute. Prior to the match I figured there was a good chance they would bunker and hope for a 0-0 draw going into over time. No such thing. They were more than willing to attack when they had the ball. Most of the time, not much came of it, but they sure were willing to give it a go.

The Buffs, as has been the case a lot of this season so far had a fair amount of the possession, but rarely were able to create a scoring chance. They just aren’t creative in the final third.

Eventually the Buffs were able to break down the Governors off of a long throw from Hannah Sharts that found its way to Roo Yarnell-WIlliams who was very calm in settling and finishing in the box. And Yarnell-Williams would be responsible when she took a ball to the end-line and then hit the pull back hard which deflected off an opponent and into the goal.

Kayleigh Webb, Roo Yarnell-Williams, and Kelsey Aaknes were difference makers this evening.

gotta figure out a way to finish better. Korniack is not going to score al the goals.

So why were Kayleigh Webb, Roo Yarnell-Williams, and Kelsey Aaknes difference makers on Thursday evening? All three, in their own way, are “instigators,” that is they seize the moment and in doing so make the team better. Webb has the ability to read what the opposition is doing, nick the ball and then attack with pace. She is seeing the field very well and is consistently able to run at the opposition at pace and than make a smart pass to an open teammate. Aaknes is an outside back who knows when to join the attack and makes smart plays to help open up the defense. Then there is Yarnell-Williams. She has a very high soccer IQ which she uses to make dangerous runs without the ball to open up space for herself. When she receives the ball her close control is good and she has good pace to work around defenders. All there are going to be key to the Buffs making a run at an NCAA tourney bid.

Soccer needs to finish this weekend out for the Buffs. Wins over ranked teams in three sports would be ****ing fantastic.

Hope the thunderstorms hold off till very late this afternoon. Should be a good match. Baylor beat Wyoming Friday in Laramie 2-0x

**** Baylor coach gets a yellow in the 66th min. He is a whiny bitch. Unfortunately for him, the broadcast mic is close enough to hear him.

Still 1-0. Buffs playing solid. Haven’t seen a serious threat from the Bears while I’ve been watching.

**** bailer!
giphy.gif

Solid job the entire team of managing the game. They had the better opportunities and really limited Baylor's chances. Over the last 30 minutes or so Baylor looked tired. Buffs were physically and mentally tough after the first 10 minutes or so when Baylor's speed of play was giving them a bit of trouble.

This was Baylor's first loss of the season, they did have a draw at Nebraska earlier.

Buff are now 6-0 and I suspect they'll be getting a bit of national recognition.

It gets a bit tougher this week with a trip to Florida State.

****Bailer!!!!!!!
Great win and great start for the Buffs! Soccer, volleyball, XC and Football, all off to terrific starts.

**** bailer. **** **** **** bailer. **** bailer. **** **** **** bailer.

Back