What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread - (RV) Soccer hosts Northern Colorado (Thurs., 4:00) and visits DU (Sat., 7:30)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Take it to the Bears and Pioneers Buffs!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/17/soccer-northern-colorado-denver-closeout-non-conference-play.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado soccer's non-conference schedule ends with a pair of in-state rivals this week. The Buffaloes host Northern Colorado on Thursday and travel to Denver on Saturday.

The Buffs are coming off a hard-fought 3-2 overtime loss to No. 6 Florida State last week. The team now refocuses its attention the Bears and Pioneers.

"These local derby matches are huge," head coach Danny Sanchez commented. "They're circled on other teams' calendars and their get circled on our calendar. We know we've played a few of these Thursday afternoon matches, and I don't think we've come out with the intensity and focus that we've needed to against Drake and Austin Peay. We know that Northern Colorado is well-coached, they played a brutal schedule so far. You don't have to look any further than their game where they took Missouri to overtime when they had been on the road for two weeks. We need to match their intensity and focus to get a result."

Fans in attendance on Thursday can enjoy $1 hot dogs.

Both games will be televised. Thursday (4 p.m.) can been seen on the Pac-12 Networks. Saturday (7:30 p.m.) will be on Altitude 2.

About Northern Colorado

There Bears were one-win shy of the NCAA Tournament last season, falling to Montana in the final match of the Big Sky Tournament. UNC (2-6-1) has lost its last two matches Iowa (4-0) and Missouri (2-1). The Bears' only two wins have come against Grand Canyon (2-1) and Austin Peay (3-0). The Buffs and Bears have not played since 2014. CU owns an 8-0-0 all-time series lead.

About Denver

The Pioneers made their second straight trip to the NCAA Tournament last season, winning the Summit League Tournament. Denver (3-3-1) is in the midst of a three-match slide after starting the season 3-0-1. DU and CU have had four shared opponents thus far this season. DU picked up wins over Drake, Texas and Kent State but lost to Boston. The Pioneers also played a neutral site match against Washington (L, 0-1), who the Buffs will play in October. CU leads the all-time series 15-8-1 and has won the last seven meetings.
"

Match notes -

Match Media links -
Live video -

Vs. UNC Bears (Thursday, 4:00 PM MT) :
Live video -Match is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain and National channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to those Pac 12 channels, assume the match can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2019/09/19/northern-colorado-colorado .

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

Vs. DU (Saturday, 7:30 PM MT) :
Live video -
Per the above article, match is on Altitude 2. There's also the following link pulled from DU's schedule - https://denverpioneers.com/watch/?Live=209&type=Live .

Live stats - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=264354

How does losing on the road in OT to the #6 team drop a team out of the top 25?
Agreed that it's silly, but the Buffs will have plenty of chances to prove themselves to the voters during conference play. It's gonna be really challenging to finish in the top five or so. And keep in mind that the Buffs play 6 of their 11 Pac 12 games away from Prentup.

Buffs need to keep their minds on UNC and DU who are both leaded with instate players and will be going all out to upset CU.

Was at the match, but missed the first 10 minutes and thus Taylor's first goal which looked tremendous on the highlights. The game wasn't as close as the score indicated. CU was massively better and really just had to go through the motions to win. And as you can see in the goal highlights, two of the Buffs' goals were a bit soft as UNC keeper misjudged the ball on Taylor's second and Katie Joella's as well.

Buffs got a lot of playing time for non-starters which is good as they only have one non-conference game left.

Article on and highlights of today's win -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/19/soccer-kornieck-key-as-buffs-topple-bears.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado senior Taylor Kornieck had her way against Northern Colorado on Thursday. She provided two goals and an assist in the first half of the Buffaloes' 4-0 win over the Bears.

Kornieck followed up her two-goal performance at No. 6 Florida State last week with an early brace in the first half. Thursday marked her sixth career multi-goal match. She also picked up an assist on Tessa Barton's goal. Her five points in the first half were the third most in CU history.

The milestones continued for the Henderson, Nev., native. Her opening goal pushed her past Fran Munnelly for second on CU's career points list, finishing the afternoon with 88 points. Kornieck's two goals also moved her past Katie Griffin for second in career goals (33).

Key Statistics: Colorado had its best offensive day of the season. CU outshot UNC, 24-4. The four shots by the Bears were the least allowed by the Buffs this season.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado
Goals:
Shots: 24
Fouls: 4
Saves: 3

UNC
Goals:
Shots: 4
Fouls: 8
Saves: 3

Up Next: Colorado continues with in-state action on Saturday. The Buffs will take on Denver at 7:30 p.m.

Notes: The Barton sisters became the first siblings in CU history to assist on each other's goal (Tatum to Tessa)…CU's 24 shots were the most this season and most since 30 against Colorado State last season…CU had five assists in the match, tied for ninth-most in school history…senior Jalen Tompkins picked up her 22nd career shutout…Ta. Barton recorded the first multi-assist game of her career.

Quotes
Head coach Danny Sanchez

On Taylor Kornieck
"
I had an appreciation for her the first day she showed up in our program. She is a program changer for us. There are a lot of storied players in this program and she'll finish right at the top. She still has work to do. There are a lot of good attacking players in the country, but the extra work she has to do on both sides of the ball makes her unique. She did very well today. I'm glad that she's starting to hit her stride."

On the CU's offense
"The first couple of goals kind of got us some momentum. I thought when we subbed we got everybody about 40 minutes which is good. These players have been busting their butts all week. Some haven't played in a few weeks so it's great to get everybody in. I didn't think there was a drop-off. I thought we created a lot of chances. We're still not quite efficient enough but four goals against a good team—to be fair to Northern Colorado we're the third power five team they've faced on the road."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=13055

The assholes showed up and the Buffs played like they were tired and uninspired.

2-0 win

Last edited:
I love our soccer team HCDS does a helluva job. They should have been 9 and 0 if not for some garbage officiating

Article after last night's win.

Now- take it to the Wildcats Friday!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/21/soccer-colorado-tops-denver-2-0.aspx

"
BOULDER – Libby Geraghty and Tessa Barton provided the offense in Colorado's 2-0 win over in-state rival Denver on Saturday night. The Buffaloes wrap up the non-conference season with an 8-1-0 record and start Pac-12 play next week.

The opening kick got delayed from its 7:30 scheduled start due to the DU men's game going into overtime. The Pioneers got a quick spark early in the first half, playing in front of their packed home-crowd. Senior Jalen Tompkins and CU's backline were active early for the Buffs, helping keep the Pioneers' offense in check.

Colorado led in shots, 6-4, in the first half and totaled nine more shots in the second half. Tompkins had to make just two saves on the night to secure her sixth shutout of the season. The win ties her for second in CU history with 23 career solo shutouts.

Key Statistics: CU outshot DU 9-1 in the second half. Colorado put four shots on net in the final 45 minutes, while DU did not get a shot on target in the half.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado
Goals:
Shots: 15
Fouls: 5
Saves: 2

Denver
Goals:
Shots: 5
Fouls: 12
Saves: 5

Up Next: Colorado opens the Pac-12 season on the road next week. The Buffs will head to Tucson, Ariz., to take on the Arizona Wildcats next Friday.

Notes: CU has now won the last eight matches against DU…Kornieck's assist was her 17th point of the season (6 G, 5 A)…she now has 23 career assists, one shy of tying Fran Munnelly for CU's all-time lead…Kornieck also moved one step closer to becoming CU's all-time leading scorer now with 89 career points (Nikki Marshall, 93)…Colorado is 8-0-0 in the state of Colorado this season…Te. Barton joined fellow freshman Roo Yarnell-Williams each with three goals this season.

Quotes
Head coach Danny Sanchez

Overall thoughts
"It was a typical DU vs CU derby. I thought we started slow. DU was probably a little unfortunate to not get a goal in the first 15 minutes. I thought after that we settled down a little bit. The key to the game I think was Taylor [Kornieck] to Libby [Geraghty] towards the end of the first half. I thought we played a lot better in the second half. It was opportunistic for Tessa Barton to get the goal, but I think we created a lot of chances. DU is a tough team to defend. I was pleased with our backs, especially in the second half."

On pressuring DU in the second half
"Sometimes you get one goal and you kind of relax. I was pleased with the way we came out in the second half, especially with the wind against us. It is a bit of a factor. I think we can play a little better when we win the ball, but we created a lot of chances today. Credit to Brittany [Wilson], their goalkeeper, that save against Taylor at the end was a world-class save. At the end of the day, a 2-0 win over a tournament team is a good result."

On the start of Pac-12 play
"We are pleased with where we are at. 11 Pac-12 games are going to be a whole different beast. Especially, this year when the Pac-12 everybody is just playing well. Arizona is a tournament team every year, we are going to need to bring our A-game next week."
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=13056

Highlights-

Back