What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- (RV) Volleyball opens season hosting Wyo. (Friday,8/30,6:00), then Sat. hosts LIU-Brooklyn (10:00) and UCSB (7:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the vball team as they open their 2019 season with a busy slate of 3 matches over 2 days starting tomorrow!!! Start off by beating the Cowgirls!
(It seems like Wyoming is always dangerous against the Buffs in ANY sport in which they compete, with Wyoming currently having won the last 2 against the Buffs in both women's bball and vball, while also beating men's bball (badly) the last time out (in 2014). Not that they've played that often, but it looks like the last victory by ANY CU team sport against Wyoming was women's basketball almost 5 years ago (12/21/2014).)

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/8/27/volleyball-colorado-hosts-buffs-invitational-to-start-season.aspx

"
By: Shaun Wicen, Assistant SID
Release: August 27, 2019

BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team kicks off the 2019 season this weekend when it hosts the Buffs Invitational Friday and Saturday.

The tournament will play host to the University of Wyoming, Long Island University and UC-Santa Barbara. Action begins Friday with LIU and UC-Santa Barbara playing at 3 p.m., followed by Colorado's season opener against Wyoming at 6 p.m. Matches continue Saturday when Colorado take on Long Island at 10 a.m., followed by a UCSB against Wyoming match at noon. The tournament concludes action in Boulder Saturday at 7 p.m. when the Buffs take on UC-Santa Barbara.

Friday's match will be the first test for the Buffs after dropping a five-set match against Wyoming last season in Laramie. The Cowgirls, a 20-11 team last season, are picked second in the Mountain West preseason poll but lost an exhibition against Division II Nebraska-Kearney last weekend in Cheyenne. The No.11-ranked Lopers nearly swept Wyo (25-23, 25-19, 23-25, 25-22) in front of a small crowd at Cheyenne East High School.

This will be the first time that Long Island University and CU meet up, The Sharks finished last season with a 15-9 overall record. CU and UC-Santa Barbara meet up for the first time since 1997, with each team having won once in the two matchups. UCSB finished last season with a 17-12 record and are tabbed third in the Big West preseason poll. They are led by three-time AVCA All-America honorable mention Lindsey Ruddins who enters her senior season with 1,531 kills and nearly five kills per set after back-to-back 500 kill seasons.

Friday's match against Wyoming will have a post-match autograph session with the team for fans. Fans arriving to the early match Saturday will receive donuts, while the first 500 fans that arrive for the 7 p.m. match against UC-Santa Barbara will receive a Get-To-Know booklet.
"

Matches' Media links -
Live video -
All matches involving the Buffs look to be viewable via a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Live stats - As of now, the Buffs' schedule doesn't show any live stats links, but assume/ hope as in prior years https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary should work for home matches.

Starting lineup-
OH - Scheggenburger, Spann
MB - Price, Hart
RS - Parker (Neverdowski DS)
S - Sweet
L - Whipple

good game. I did not expect CU to win this but they played well defensively and Wyoming had problems. Sterling Parker and Jill S looked pretty good today for freshman. Maybe their pin hitters will be okay this season.

Article on this evening's win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/8/30/volleyball-buffs-start-season-with-sweep-of-wyoming.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team kicked off the 2019 season with a 3-0 sweep (25-18, 25-23, 25-22) of Wyoming tonight, lead by sophomore setter Jenna Ewert's 32 assists.

The Buffs (1-0) got some sweet revenge against the Cowgirls (0-1) after losing in a five-set upset in Laramie last season. The team's strong defense and middle play led the way to the quick victory alongside Ewert's 32 assists, four kills and three blocks.

HOW IT HAPPENED
Colorado took early control of the first set after pushing a six-point run to take an 11-6 lead. After a single sideout, CU went on another three point run to take a 14-7 lead off of three Spann kills in the run. Colorado never looked back, finishing off the set with a dump from Ewert to take it 25-18.

In the second set, Colorado found themselves down three quickly and couldn't overcome the gap until Spann and Ewert combined for three kills in a 4-1 run to tie the set at nine all. Wyoming fired off four straight points, but CU kept in it and eventually put together a five-point run to take the lead 20-17, again led by Spann with two kills. At set point with a four point lead the Cowgirls pushed with a three point run, but eventually Schneggenburger closed out the set 25-23.

The final set saw Colorado come out firing to a 13-6 lead that included three-straight kills from Spann. The teams traded point runs but the lead held to 20-14. Facing match point at 24-19, Wyoming put together a run of three before ending the match by a service error straight into the net.

QUOTES:
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On the win
"It is always nice to get a win, especially to start the season. I hope everyone knows that that is a very good Wyoming team. I expect them to be very successful this season. That is a team that beat us a year ago. We were happy to get them in Boulder. I think that overall is was a really well played match by our team. We had some lulls here and there, but this is one of the better serving teams we have had here in a long time. We put some pressure on Wyoming that way. This is one of the better defensive teams we've had here in a while. We extended a lot of rallies. That was really good to see. The team did a really good job of following the game plan as well. It was a really nice start. We know we will have to continue to get better, but we will enjoy this for a couple hours."

On keeping leads
"I think we were executing at a pretty high level to create leads. We let down a little bit at the end. It was nice to win the match, but I wish they (Wyoming) had gotten that last serve in so we could have scored the point on our own. I don't like when teams serve out. I want us to feel that pressure. There are going to be times where we have to execute in those situations. That being said, I thought we rallied at the end. Good teams are going to make runs on you so you can't let up. That is a good lesson for us to learn. We have to play throughout the entire set and the entire match."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=13015
(Hopefully they'll get the kinks out on the stats thing, as neither live stats or the simple stats they put on the scoreboard were showing up this evening.)

Did anybody find a link to live stats? I was able to watch online, but I like to see the stats as the match progresses. Just saw the above comment by Aztec

It was a good win.

There is a link to Live Stats on the CU website for this morning's match. Hope that's good news.

Not a pretty set, but the Buffs pull away late to get it 25-21.

(Both online and CEC stats are working today.)

Buffs pulled ahead behind a long 9-10 point Spann serving run, and are up 18-10 before LIU calls their 1st timeout.

Buffs were sloppier this morning than they were last night but did enough for the straight set win over a weaker LIU team. After Coach singled out their improved serving in last night's match, there were a rash of service errors this morning.

It was an uninspired performance for sure. I wonder if there was too much RMS watching last night.

I wondered the same thing about the football game. The play by play guy said that Mahoney said that most difficult part of the match this morning would be getting the team awake. They didn't look like they woke up.

Hope they have their act together tonight.

Buffs with a decent run late, but the rally falls short and UCSB gets the 3rd 22-25. Buffs still up 2-1.

played a lot better tonight. Having to come back after a lot set and being behind late and having to come back in set 4 was good for the team. This is a real good defensive team and when they are on their game they extend a lot of plays. Sterling Parker had another good match

GREAT comeback by the Buffs as they score 8 of the last 9 points after going down 17-20.

BUFFS WIN 3 sets to 1!
Great to see that comeback to win the fourth set. At 17-20 I was resigning myself to the match going 5 but then they put together that great run on Jill Schnegenberger's serve and then closed it out on their second match point. They had a total about face on those last 9 points from the earlier part of the game where they kept making mistake after mistake. So good to see since too often in the past things would continue going down once they got into that type of mistake filled patch.

Back