What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- SOCCER hosts Oregon State (Thursday, 10/6/22, 3:00 PM MT) & Oregon (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The soccer team (6-3-3 overall, 0-2-1 in Pac 12 play) is back to Boulder for a 2 match homestand this week against the Oregon schools. 1st off is a match tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon at 3:00 with the Oregon State Beavers (4-5-2, 0-3-0), followed up with the usual Sunday 1:00 matinee, this weekend vs. the Oregon Ducks (3-4-4, 1-2-0).

Thursday's match is scheduled to be available on the Pac 12 Networks, while Sunday's is on a free CU=--provided live stream. (See more details and links near the bottom of this post.)

Go Buffs!!!

Preview:

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/10/5/soccer-buffs-key-in-on-important-weekend.aspx

"
BOULDER – Three matches into the Pac-12 Conference season and the Colorado Buffaloes head into Thursday's matchup against Oregon State in search of its first league win.

Colorado (6-3-3, 0-2-1) had a pair of controversial results against Arizona State and Washington State to open Pac-12 play, earning just one point in the draw at No. 15 WSU. The Buffs then closed the first stretch of conference play with a 4-1 loss at Washington.

CU returns home as one of three Pac-12 teams still looking for its first conference win. And while it isn't quite 'make or break' for the Buffs at the moment, the team knows they need to get results sooner rather than later.

"We all know how tough the Pac-12 is top to bottom," head coach Danny Sanchez commented. "We're a little disappointed not to get more results in our first three matches, but we have two opportunities this weekend against two teams that are kind of in the same boat as us and are going to be desperate for results. I expect us to come out and play some of our best soccer this weekend."

The Buffs, who have scored in all 12 matches this season, has seen a dip in the team's scoring since the start of the conference season. CU is being outscored 8-4 in Pac-12 play but is still outscoring opponents this season by a 34-12 margin.

"At Washington State, we didn't create a lot [of chances], but I thought at Washington we actually created some good chances," Sanchez added. "You're not going to get the [same] amount of chances in Pac-12 play, but we know we're very confident in our personnel to create and score more going forward. We have to keep working at it."

"We can't expect one player to carry us on either side of the ball," Sanchez continued. "It has to be a collective effort and I'm talking every player on the roster. That's been the challenge this week and hopefully, they respond."

Oregon State (4-5-2, 0-3-0) is also in search of its first Pac-12 win, dropping matches against Washington State, USC and No. 1 UCLA. The Beavers have been outscored 11-1 in their first three conference matches.

Kickoff on Thursday is set for 3 p.m. MT. Justin Adams will be on the call for the Pac-12 Network. Thursday is also the team's Mental Health Awareness game. The team will wear green accessories throughout the game.

The weekend will continue with the team's Soctober Fest against Oregon on Sunday. Ralphie is set to run before kickoff and there is discounted beer and a gold t-shirt giveaway while supplies last.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on the opponents -

OSU:
Roster
- https://osubeavers.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats - https://osubeavers.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2022
Schedule/ results for this season - https://osubeavers.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule/2022?path=wsoc
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - Not available as I type this.

Oregon:
Roster
- https://goducks.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats - https://goducks.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats?path=wsoc
Schedule/ results for this season - https://goducks.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule?path=wsoc
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - https://goducks.com/news/2022/10/4/womens-soccer-soccer-looks-to-rebound-at-utah-colorado.aspx
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Link to links to Live stats for both matches -
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo

Live Video:
Vs. OSU -
The match is scheduled to be shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain & Oregon channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to any Pac 12 channel, assume it can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2022/10/06/oregon-state-colorado .
Vs. Oregon - Match is scheduled to be shown on CU live streams available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs .

Match notes:
Vs. OSU -
Not available as I type this.
Vs. Oregon - Not available as I type this.

Beautiful 3rd goal where Hayward uses speed and hustle to get it along the left side and passes it into the middle; James could have gone for it but let's it through and Webb knocks it in!

Last edited:
Media after yesterday's W:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/10/6/soccer-buffs-secure-first-pac-12-win.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado jumped out to a 3-0 start and held off a charging Oregon State comeback, earning the team's first win since Sept. 17.

The Buffaloes got first-half goals from Civana Kuhlmann and Shyra James to fuel the team's start and Kayleigh Webb notched the game-winner in the second half to secure the team's first Pac-12 win of the season.

"I thought we played really well for long stretches of the match," head coach Danny Sanchez said postgame. "We scored three really good goals from the run of play. It was a little disappointing to let Oregon State back in it, but like I said before the game they are a desperate team that is desperate for results. They were going to keep fighting to the end and this is Pac-12 soccer. We're really pleased to get the win. We needed a win today to build some momentum as we get ready for Oregon on Sunday."

Kuhlmann led the charge from the get-go, recording her ninth goal of the season and assisting on James' Pac-12-leading 11th goal of the year. The Stanford transfer also launched off a season-high eight shots, landing four on target.

"My mindset was definitely to win and to do that I need to be taking shots," Kuhlmann explained. "I need to be putting the ball in the back of the net. I think after I put one away, I was able to gain some confidence and take some more shots. You have to shoot to score, so that's what I was trying to do."

Kuhlmann's three-point afternoon pushed her past James for the team lead in points. She now has a career-high 24 points (9 G, 6 A). James' goal snapped a three-game scoreless streak and builds on her career-high point total (23).

Webb's goal gave the Buffs a 3-0 lead five minutes into the second half, but Oregon State battled back for a pair of tallies to make the game interesting late.

"As I said, we had some really good spurts," Sanchez continued. "I thought we played very well outside the first five minutes in the first half. The first 15 minutes of the second half I thought we did well. They kind of got a goal from not a lot but we needed to kill the game off and we did. I was really pleased with how we played compared to last weekend. We have to play like this at home but on Sunday we're going to need to play better."

Up Next
Colorado will keep the home-field advantage on Sunday, hosting the Oregon Ducks at 1 p.m. MT.

Notes
Colorado's three goals were the most in a Pac-12 game for the Buffs since beating Oregon State 3-2 in overtime last season (Oct. 24)…CU has now won its last two against the Beavers and improved to 7-5 all-time…James' goal was the 25th of her career and is one behind tying Melissa Cartmell for 5th on CU's all-time goals list…Her 11 goals are tied for the fifth most in a single season…James now has 54 career points (25 G, 4 A)…Kuhlmann's nine goals match her career-high set at Stanford in 2017…CU has now scored 38 goals this season tied for the 5th most in program history (also 2003 and 2016)…CU's 111 points are also good for the fifth most in program history.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2022/10/6/CU_3__OSU_2.pdf

CU got its scoring groove back to score the first three goals of the match and held on to win 3-2 Thursday afternoon at Prentup Field in Boulder.

For this match Danny Sanchez had his side in a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-3-3. Starting this match in midfield were Kayleigh Webb, Jade Babcock-Chi, Jenny Beyer and Juliauna Hayward. Up top Civana Kuhlmann paired with Emerson Layne. Notably, Shyra James was not in the starting lineup.

Whether or not it was the formation, CU had a lot more control of the ball in this match than they had in the previous six or so. And there weren’t too many loose passes. With more possession and less time defending CU was able to create quality chances. Kuhlmann’s goal came off a wonderful through ball from Jenny Beyer that put her to behind the defenders and to the right of the goal where she hit the ball far post, a technically challenging shot given the angle.

Just 8 minutes later, Kuhlmann was able to put a ball in that allowed Shyra James to get behind a defender where she buried a near post shot.

At the half CU seemed in control and just minutes into the second a wonderful left-footed one timer from Kayleigh Webb seemed to seal victory. She was proactive to get to a cross on the ground played by Hayward and dummied by James.

At this point CU seemed to be in control, that is until a mistake in the box gave OSU a goal and some hope. A bouncing ball was not played well and OSU”s Valerie Tobias got to the ball before Dani Hansen reacted and was able to put the ball into the net. Hansen was pulled for Bella Grust at the ensuing kickoff.

OSU’s second goal, a PK, was the result of an ill-advised square ball from Hannah Sharts was intercepted in the Buffs end and with CU caught off guard and a defender made contact in the box which was called. Sharts was pulled an didn’t return to the match.

CU held on the final 11 minutes for their first conference victory.

The Buffs host Oregon Sunday afternoon. I hear Ralphie will be making an appearance.

Last edited:

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/10/8/soccer-fearless-on-the-pitch.aspx

"
BOULDER – Over the last five seasons of Colorado soccer, there has been one constant. Kayleigh Webb day in and day out has been there for the Buffaloes for better or worse.

The fifth-year senior from San Marcos, Calif., started her very first game at Air Force in 2018 and every game since. Sunday's match against Oregon will be her 92nd career start, which will set a new mark for CU field players, passing Laura Munnelly's (2003-06) 91 starts.

It's almost a miracle Webb hasn't missed a match, let alone a start in her career. She goes from zero to 100 MPH on the pitch at the drop of a dime, pushing aside any regard for her body.

Just take last Sunday at Washington for example. The Buffs were trailing 2-0 in the 66th minute when a 50/50 ball was sent into the goal box. Webb tracked it down but met the UW goalkeeper in midair, bouncing off the tender and faceplanted into the goal post.

10 minutes later, after being cleared by both the Washington and Colorado medical staffs Webb was back on the field, sporting a fresh black eye and a broken nose.

"The team jokes that my body is rubber and that no matter what I get hit with I just bounce right back up," Webb joked. "It doesn't matter how many times I'm on the floor, I'm getting right back up. This was the first bone I have ever broken. I feel fine with it. I pride myself on not giving up and it's not just for myself but my team. I want them to see that I'm getting hit but I'm also trying my hardest and picking myself up and going as hard as I can."

Webb had scored four goals in her first four seasons, with her best effort coming in 2021 (2 G). This season, she has set career-highs in goals (6), assists (3) and points (15) with her move to the top of the formation.

But the goals are just a happy byproduct for her, as long as she's contributing elsewhere.

"I've never been a trough goal scorer," Webb explained. "I've been someone that likes to get assists. Growing up my dad always told me that assists are more important because you're the one that's creating the play. You're the one that's giving someone else the opportunity. I have been big on getting assists. Obviously, I'd like to score but if I'm just helping the team out in any way possible, I'm good with it."

The switch to forward has been seemingly flawless as she has a point in five of the last six games and is second on the team in Pac-12 play with six points (2 G, 2 A). Her three-point game against Oregon State was the second of the season.

"Now that I'm in the attack, it's giving me a chance to score and I'm just having fun."

Sunday's kickoff is set for 1 p.m. MT. The game will be streamed on CUBuffs.com/WatchSoc. Fans are encouraged to wear gold and arrive early to celebrate Soctoberfest. There will be a t-shirt giveaway as well as discounted beer. Ralphie is also set to run before kickoff and will be at the field in the pregame.
"

The Buffs have had a large % of both possession and scoring opportunities, but it's still 0-0 with the 2nd half a few minutes from starting.

great weekend for the team 2 wins. I was getting nervous we would get a tie today but pulled out a win

Media after yesterday's win -

Article:

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/10/9/soccer-buffs-blank-the-ducks.aspx

"
BOULDER – Sunday afternoon got started with a thunderous romp by Ralphie and closed with a 1-0 victory over Oregon, as the Colorado Buffaloes completed the weekend sweep.

Colorado (8-3-3, 2-2-1 Pac-12) controlled the afternoon at Prentup Field, using a late penalty kick goal to secure the win over the Ducks. The Buffaloes totaled 22 shots with seven landing on target. CU's defense limited the Ducks to four shots on the afternoon and did not concede a shot on goal.

"I don't know how many games we've had here at CU when the opponent doesn't have any shots on goal," head coach Danny Sanchez commented after the win. "I thought that our back four – then we moved Lawson [Willis] – those five players were dynamite today. Dani [Hansen] did what she had to, but the backfield played really played well and limited their opportunities."

Civana Kuhlmann notched her 10th goal of the season after the Buffs were awarded a handball in the penalty area in the 74th minute. Kuhlmann had seven shots while Shyra James added four shots and two near-goal opportunities.

"It's probably the best we've played going forward even though we only got one goal," Sanchez continued. "That's a top-end goalkeeper [Oregon's Leah Freeman]. It's going to take something special to beat her. I thought our movement was excellent and we created a lot of good chances. It's a fair result for us and a good momentum builder as we get ready for Arizona next Friday."

Oregon's Lean Freeman turned away three shots in the first half, including a scramble right off the goal line to keep the game tied at 0-0 after the first 45 minutes. The Buffs had a goal taken off the board in the 62nd minute, getting called for a foul behind the play of the team's sixth corner kick of the game.

"I think we probably created more chances today than we did on Thursday, but I am more pleased with getting the shutout," Sanchez added. "Once we got the goal in the 74th minute, really killing the game off, we didn't let Oregon have a lot of good looks – or any looks really."

Webb, who started her CU-record 92nd match, got pulled down outside the box in the 73rd minute in the lead-up to the goal. Kuhlmann took the direct kick from 19 yards out, drawing a handball inside the box and getting the penalty kick. Kuhlmann took the kick with ease, converting her third penalty of the season.

"Today was a must-win," Kuhlmann said. "We've been trying to every game as a playoff game. That's how crucial every win is. We did what we needed to do today. I thought we didn't just get a win but we really put on a great performance."

Up Next
Colorado will head to Tucson, Ariz., for a meeting with the Wildcats next Friday, Oct. 14 (8 p.m. MT).

Notes: Kuhlmann became CU's second double-figure goal-scorer this season, joining James (11)…It's the first time CU has had two players with 10+ goals since the 2018 season (Jorian Baucom 12, Tatum Barton 11)…Kuhlmann moved into a tie with Ashlie Mihalcin (2004) and Katie Griffin (2003) for eight on the single-season scoring list with 10 goals…Her 26 points put her in a four-way tie for the sixth most in a season….Colorado's 114 points this season is good for fourth all-time…CU's 39 goals this season are now ranked fifth most in program history…The crowd of 1,520 was the 19th-highest attended match in CU history…Sunday was the first time CU held an opponent without a shot on goal since Northern Colorado in the 2020 season (Feb. 11, 2021).
"
___________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2022/10/9/CU_1__Oreogn_0.PDF.pdf

In front of a large crowd and pre-game run by Ralphie, the Buffs dominated Oregon for a much needed win. Despite scoring only one goal, CU had the majority of possession (65%) and chances (22 total shots, 7 on target) while Oregon didn’t register a shot on goal.

Just as in the win v OSU on Thursday the Buffs deployed a 4-4-2 with Emerson Layne and Civana Kuhlmann starting up top. Oregon’s strategy was to compress their lines when CU was in possession and only put pressure on the ball near midfield. This allowed CU lots of time on the ball, but took away the opportunity for quick counter attacks. Still, CU would create multiple chances in the first half. The issue was finishing as the shots were either just off target or blocked in the box.

CU’s goal came in the 74th minute when a free kick from just outside the box found an Oregon player’s arm in the box. Kuhlmann calmly buried the PK and that was enough for CU to earn its second conference win of the season.

CU solo match this week is at Arizona on Friday.

Back