What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- VOLLEYBALL has home and home matches with CSU- in Boulder (Thurs., 9/16/21, 7:00 PM) and Fort Collins (Sat., 1:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to vball as they complete their non-conference slate for the season this Thursday evening and Saturday afternoon hosting, and then visiting, the Rams.

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/9/14/volleyball-buffs-take-on-csu-in-double-header.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado volleyball is set to compete in the second annual double-header against Colorado State this week, culminating in the second Golden Spike Showdown Saturday in Fort Collins.

The first match in the double-header will come Thursday evening in Boulder at 7 p.m. and will be televised on the Pac-12 Network. The second match and the Golden Spike Showdown is set for Saturday at 1 p.m. in Moby Arena in Fort Collins.

No.25-ranked Colorado is undefeated in seven matches this season, breaking the school record for most undefeated wins to begin a season. The Buffs are ranked 18th in the nation in kills per set at 14.07, 20th in the nation in hitting percentage at .275, 35th in the nation with 2.61 blocks per set and 43rd in opponent hitting percentage at .156.

The rivalry between the two teams goes deep in history and has sparked more recently with Jesse Mahoney, former associate head coach to CSU's Tom Hilbert, taking the reigns at CU. Mahoney became the first in-state coach to defeat Hilbert's Rams in Moby Arena in 2017. Hilbert is a combined 58-2 against the three NCAA Division I programs in Colorado at home.

The Rams this season are 4-3 with losses to Northwestern, Northern Colorado and North Carolina to start the season. They have since won four-straight, including a five-set match against Oregon State in Moby. CSU is hitting .232 this season as a team and are averaging two aces per set.

Kennedy Stanford leads the team with 93 kills (3.21 per set) and is hitting .191. CSU has four individuals with at least 60 kills this season. Setter Ciera Pritchard leads the team with 15 aces while Alexa Roumeliotis has 13 and leads the team with 142 digs (4.73 digs per set). Up front, Karina Leber and Sasha Colombo each have more than 20 blocks.

GOLDEN SPIKE SHOWDOWN
The Buffs and Rams compete for the Golden Spike Trophy, a rivalry traveling trophy inspired by the CU Volleyball Supporter Club in 2019. The Golden Spike is a vintage railroad spike donated by the Comanche Crossing Museum in Strasburg, Colo., that has been painted golden and set in the trophy. The spike represents the final spike driven in the Kansas Pacific Railroad that laid the final tracks that connected the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts more than 150 years ago. The two teams will compete annually for the trophy, with the winner of the second match in seasons where two are played in the regular season taking the honor.

GOLDEN SPIKE SHOWDOWN HISTORY
2019: CSU (Boulder, Colo.) 3-2
2020: Did Not Compete – COVID
2021: Saturday, Sept. 18 1 p.m., Fort Collins, Colo.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Matches notes -
https://cubuffs.com/documents/2021/9/14/Match_Notes_CSU.pdf

For match in Boulder:
Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary

Live Video -
Match is scheduled to be shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume it can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2021/09/16/colorado-state-colorado .

For match in Fort Collins:
Live stats -
https://csurams.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary

Live Video -
Match is supposed to be free on a Mountain West Conference stream, which should be available at https://csurams.com/sports/2017/7/28/mountain-west-network.aspx .

I am quite happy that I get to watch the game on the big screen instead of the computer screen. So far, like last season, with Dish, I am getting the regional channels without paying extra.

Watched Stanford take down **** Nebraska a couple of evenings ago.

It was SO FUN to get to see the team live for the 1st time in a LONG time!

Hope they can keep it up in what should be an even tougher challenge in Fort Collins on Saturday afternoon!

Article after the match-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/9/16/volleyball-buffs-top-rams-extend-perfect-start-to-8-0.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado Buffaloes volleyball team extended its school-record undefeated start to the season to eight matches, taking down rival Colorado State 3-1 (22-25, 25-18, 25-19, 25-20) Thursday night here at the CU Events Center.

The Buffs improve to a perfect 8-0 on the season, the best start in school history and give the Buffs their longest win streak in the Jesse Mahoney-era. It is, in fact, CU's longest win streak since the 2014 season.

Alexia Kuehl was a dominating presence in the middle, coming up with big play after big play, finishing with 12 kills while hitting .571 and adding a team-high seven blocks. Maya Tabron and Leah Clayton both added 12 kills alongside Kuehl while Meegan Hart had 11 kills and six blocks. Jenna Ewert directed the offense efficiently with 47 assists and added 19 digs while Brynna DeLuzio led the way with 26 digs of her own, just three off her career high set earlier this season.

As a team, the Buffs had 56 kills while hitting .279 offensively and 66 digs and 14 blocks on the defensive side.

The Buffs and Rams get a short one-day break before the second meeting in this two-match series, set for Saturday at 1 p.m. MT in Fort Collins.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On The Match

Obviously a really, really good match. I thought it was a high level match on both sides. We were pretty high error in the first set. I'm not sure exactly what that is but we only got one kill out of our left sides in that first set and that was really the difference there. I think as Leah and Maya settled down a little bit and started making better choices and scoring on the left. We stabilized our offense at that point and we were able to point score a little bit better. I haven't looked at the stats I should do that more often but it felt like we spread the offense around a lot, that's a testament to how in system we were passing and then Jenna making really good decisions. At the end of that fourth set Alexia made play after play after play, block, block, block, kill, and really put that set out of reach. Really good match, they're going to be a tough team in Fort Collins. We've got to get healthy, rested and ready to go for Saturday.

On The Rivalry
I'm not sure, we have to sell it as a rivalry, that's a really good team over there that's been in 20-30 straight NCAA Tournaments. We lost them in 2019 so if I have to get them amped up for that, it doesn't make sense. We want bragging rights in the state. We love playing good teams like Jenna mentioned we're going to play great teams. The rest of the way including this team and Fort Collins. Tom and I have a really good relationship, but we both want to beat each other.

On Playing In Moby Saturday
I've been in that gym a bunch of times and they have a great fan base, and that fan base brings a lot of energy to the player so I know they're going to be amped. They're not going to like losing this match and this is going to be their biggest match of the season, I think. They're going to be ready to go. Last time we were there we had a much younger team, we had a lot of freshmen on the floor. We didn't manage that, as well as we could. The nice thing about our team this year, Alexia is a freshman in her third year. We have fourth, fifth, sixth year kids out on the floor so I don't think that's going to be as much of an issue for us. We're going to have to match their intensity early, and then kind of get to playing on our level for the rest of the match.
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=15325

Fun win to watch. Now on to Moby to get the sweep. I know playing in Moby is a totally different experience than playing in Coors.

There's no tweet yet (assume the social media crew may be concentrating on another game (GO Gridiron Buffs!)?), so did want to mention it's around 1-1/2 hours away from the start of the 2nd match in 2 day against CSU for the vball Buffs!

(Live video and stats links are in original post.)

Match has begin.

Note- Great to see, after an ankle injury scare in the last match, that right-side hitter Jill Schneggenburger is in the starting lineup. (She was able to return after a few points after going down for a few minutes on Friday, but still never know how something heals up after a match is completed.)

Last edited:
Moby is a tough place to play. The players should be proud of themselves for going 9-0 in the off season. Appears Jesse has settled on his rotations until injuries start.

Article after yesterday's win. (Hope the team's ready for the pretty quick turnaround to Pullman!) -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/9/18/volleyball-colorado-sweeps-rams-for-golden-spike-trophy.aspx

"
FORT COLLINS – Colorado women's volleyball secured its first Golden Spike Showdown Trophy here Saturday, sweeping Colorado State 3-0 (25-23, 27-25, 25-22) in Moby Arena to finish the nonconference season undefeated.

The 25th-ranked Buffs (9-0) handed CSU (4-5) its second sweep at home ever in the past 25 years against an in-state rival. The team finished hitting .225 with every attacker for Colorado recording at least four kills.

Senior setter Jenna Ewert was the spark for Colorado, setting up match point with one of her five kills before closing it out with an ace. She finished with five kills, 27 assists, an ace, seven digs and two blocks. Leah Clayton led the offense with 11 kills and a .321 hitting percentage but also got it done defensively with nine digs and five blocks.

Up front, Meegan Hart also recorded five blocks while Brynna DeLuzio continued her streak of leading the team in digs to eight as she finished with a team-high 15 digs. Colorado finished with 10 blocks and held CSU to a .156 hitting percentage.

The Rams were led by Annie Sullivan's 16 kills while hitting .406. She was joined by Jacqi Van Liefde who recorded 11 kills on a .391 hitting percentage. The rest of the team hit under .100.

Colorado moves on to conference play undefeated for the first time in school history. They travel to Washington State Wednesday for a 7 p.m. MT match, then return home to host No.10-ranked Utah Friday at 7 p.m. in Boulder.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On The Match
I thought it was a really great match. It's a great atmosphere, obviously, they were really energized on the other side of the net. Kind of jumped on us in the first set, I was proud of how we kind of clawed our way back into that set. Every time they made a run, we had an answer. We played with a lot of poise, which we've done all season which is good to see. The more we do this, the more comfortable we're going to be on the road when we get into the Pac-12. That was a great series in both matches, I thought were competitive and it was good prep for what we're going to see in conference play.

On Ewert's Play
Jenna's having her best season, by far, I think she was really comfortable in what she's doing. She's super athletic at the net. A block has to pay attention to her for sure and then she's making really good choices, takes information well, sets up the right matchup and she was fantastic today.

On Finishing Nonconference Undefeated On The Road
We played three really competitive matches on the road in Charlotte, Illinois and here. We don't really talk about road woes or anything like that, we just talk about trying to get better. Playing the matches that we have on the road this year are going to just help us as we get into what is going to be a really tough Pac-12 season.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-volleyball/stats/2021/colorado-state/boxscore/15335

Back