What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matt Campbell - Iowa State HC

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Jon Wilner listed him #1 on his CU list: https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11...dow-of-history-and-the-right-fit-for-the-job/

I have no idea if Colorado would be interested in the following, or if the following would be interested in Colorado. But …

No. 1 on the list would be Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, although he is waiting for a blue blood to call, and preferably a blue blood named Ohio State. (He’s from Massillon, Ohio.)

If you’re CU, due diligence demands reaching out to Campbell’s representatives.

There are rumors that Urban Meyer is going to pull a Bob Stoops at the end of the season and retire from coaching. If current tOSU OC Ryan Day got the job (he was Interim HC and won all his games when Urban was suspended), then Campbell could very well be available.

Known as a big game coach who has consistently taken down ranked teams since becoming the HC for the Clones, there's probably not a HC working at a non-elite who is more respected than Campbell right now. Built the Toledo program before building the Iowa State program. Not really any big tent experience would be the major knock on him.

Matt Campbell

Campbell at 2017 Big 12 Media Days
Sport(s)Football
Current position
TitleHead coach
TeamIowa State
ConferenceBig 12
Record17–18
Annual salary$3.5 million (2018–2019)
Biographical details
BornNovember 29, 1979 (age 38)
Massillon, Ohio
Playing career
1998Pittsburgh
1999–2002Mount Union
Position(s)Defensive lineman
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2003–2004Bowling Green (GA)
2005–2006Mount Union (OC/OL)
2007Bowling Green (OL)
2008Bowling Green (RGC/OL)
2009Toledo (RGC/OL)
2010–2011Toledo (OC/OL)
2011Toledo (interim HC)
2012–2015Toledo
2016–presentIowa State
Head coaching record
Overall52–33
Bowls3–1
Accomplishments and honors
Championships
2 MAC West Division (2014, 2015)
Awards
MAC Coach of the Year (2015)
Big 12 Coach of the Year (2017)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

he has won a ton of games as a prohibative underdog...saw them just man handle west virginia this yr....

I am surprised more ABers are not talking about this guy. CU could arguably be a good step up for him and he seems to fit a lot of the criteria we think RG is looking for (previous HC P5 conference, winner, energetic). Not sure about his recruiting background but as FlaBuff said he is recruiting well enough to win at Iowa State and he also seems to bring his team's A game when they play top 25 competition. If there is no way out of the buyout clause that could be a showstopper though.

I am surprised more ABers are not talking about this guy. CU could arguably be a good step up for him and he seems to fit a lot of the criteria we think RG is looking for (previous HC P5 conference, winner, energetic). Not sure about his recruiting background but as FlaBuff said he is recruiting well enough to win at Iowa State and he also seems to bring his team's A game when they play top 25 competition. If there is no way out of the buyout clause that could be a showstopper though.
We all think he's an impossible get

We're not because financially it would actually be easier for CU to land James Franklin than to land Matt Campbell due to their respective buyouts.

We're not because financially it would actually be easier for CU to land James Franklin than to land Matt Campbell due to their respective buyouts.
There would have to be a “business plan” in place from RG that includes an unprecedented level of guaranteed financial support from CU AD and admin to even get Franklin’s agent on the phone to entertain the idea of him coming to Boulder.

There would have to be a “business plan” in place from RG that includes an unprecedented level of guaranteed financial support from CU AD and admin to even get Franklin’s agent on the phone to entertain the idea of him coming to Boulder.
For sue. And the idea is still crazy. Campbell's the same sort of crazy but with an extra $6M in buyout up front. That's the only point I was making.

For sue. And the idea is still crazy. Campbell's the same sort of crazy but with an extra $6M in buyout up front. That's the only point I was making.
Campbell just seems more plausible due to where he’s currently coaching, but you’re probably right.

Here we go again. You’re saying we’re getting Franklin

If the rumors are true that Ohio State is going to expedite Urban’s retirement to setup Day to take over, then that puts Campbell back in play to me. This is still the best available job west of the Mississippi and Campbell’s never going to win a conference title at Iowa State.

What a consolation prize if Ohio State’s urgency to promote Day gives us a chance to go after Campbell.

If the rumors are true that Ohio State is going to expedite Urban’s retirement to setup Day to take over, then that puts Campbell back in play to me. This is still the best available job west of the Mississippi and Campbell’s never going to win a conference title at Iowa State.

What a consolation prize if Ohio State’s urgency to promote Day gives us a chance to go after Campbell.
his buyout is something like 6 mil no?

I’m not one to talk about $$, but I’m not sure CU would be able to pull of a $7m buyout, plus his ~$6m/year salary, plus owing MM and some staff money, plus increasing assistant salary pool.

I’m not one to talk about $$, but I’m not sure CU would be able to pull of a $7m buyout, plus his ~$6m/year salary, plus owing MM and some staff money, plus increasing assistant salary pool.
I’m ignoring the money because it’s not my problem and RG said he wants to win championships. You don’t win championships with guys like Derek Mason or Jim Leavitt. Campbell is one of the best coaches out there and he might be available, especially if tOSU job isn’t anymore.

I’m ignoring the money because it’s not my problem and RG said he wants to win championships. You don’t win championships with guys like Derek Mason or Jim Leavitt. Campbell is one of the best coaches out there and he might be available, especially if tOSU job isn’t anymore.
I agree with everything you said. I just believe there is still a budget he must work within, even if it is a lot more than our last staff was making. At some point money is an issue for CU, otherwise they could go offer Peterson $9-$10/yr to come here.

I agree with everything you said. I just believe there is still a budget he must work within, even if it is a lot more than our last staff was making. At some point money is an issue for CU, otherwise they could go offer Peterson $9-$10/yr to come here.
Of course and he’s probably a long shot but I’m told that buyouts are negotiable at least to some degree. I just don’t want us to settle and the biggest negative for Campbell has always been that he’s holding out for the Ohio State job - well now we suddenly don’t look like such a bad option.

Of course and he’s probably a long shot but I’m told that buyouts are negotiable at least to some degree. I just don’t want us to settle and the biggest negative for Campbell has always been that he’s holding out for the Ohio State job - well now we suddenly don’t look like such a bad option.

I love Campbell. Iowa State is firmly planted with getting at least 75-80% of the buyout in a non Ohio State situation. I don’t think CU is willing to fork over $5 million+ just to hire the HC who’d need to make $4-$4.5 million with another $2-$3 million for assistants. Of course, this goes along with the $5 million+ we’ll be paying macintyre.

I’d like to see that just for the UW fan reaction. Arrogant and entitled pricks.

I love Campbell. Iowa State is firmly planted with getting at least 75-80% of the buyout in a non Ohio State situation. I don’t think CU is willing to fork over $5 million+ just to hire the HC who’d need to make $4-$4.5 million with another $2-$3 million for assistants. Of course, this goes along with the $5 million+ we’ll be paying macintyre.
Maybe you didn’t hear me when I said I am ignoring the money - I’m a fan, the money is not my problem, I just want a good coach and he’s available.

Maybe you didn’t hear me when I said I am ignoring the money - I’m a fan, the money is not my problem, I just want a good coach and he’s available.

The money is an overwhelming consideration in this case. I wanna have sex with a bunch of super hotties too, but I don’t have the funds for yachts and private jets.

The money is an overwhelming consideration in this case. I wanna have sex with a bunch of super hotties too, but I don’t have the funds for yachts and private jets.
As much as I don’t care about the money, I care far less about your sex life.

Back