What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

maurice purify arrested for assault

OT but I am going to stir this pot. Marlon Lucky failed his intro to math class his first year at Lincoln. The coaching staff came to his professor and begged for him to get an incomplete. The professor, against her best judgment, relented and allowed him to retake the class this last year. When the first homework assignment was due everyone (all football players, it is that kind of class) turned in their assignments. The professor asked Marlon where his homework was and he responded with, "I am a grown ass man, I don't need this." He then knocked his books onto the floor and stormed out of class never to return. The coaching staff got him placed with another professor and he responded by failing intro to math again. True story and, again, OT.

A two game suspension would be OK with me if it also meant he didn't have any contact with the team at all until the suspension is lifted - meaning no fall camp, either. AND, send him to an anger management class while they're at it.

I've got to sound off here. Don't you all think we should wait and see what the investigation turns up? Seems like we had plenty of rushers (to judgment that is) when we had problems in Boulder. Give the justice system a chance to work. I wouldn't wish Mary Keenan on even the worst Husker Homer but it seems that Colorado's grand jury system even took care of her. Let's see if Nebraska's does the same when the evidence is gathered and set before the courts.

I've got to sound off here. Don't you all think we should wait and see what the investigation turns up? Seems like we had plenty of rushers (to judgment that is) when we had problems in Boulder. Give the justice system a chance to work. I wouldn't wish Mary Keenan on even the worst Husker Homer but it seems that Colorado's grand jury system even took care of her. Let's see if Nebraska's does the same when the evidence is gathered and set before the courts.

I certainly agree, but I think most of us are looking at this running it's course over the next 2-3 months, at which point Cally will have a decision to make. At this juncture, all we have is what is being reported. Based on that information, we're making assessments as to how best to deal with it. If it turns out that the guy is snowy clean, then he shouldn't face any disciplinary action. Most of us (myself included) don't think that's the case, but we'll find out soon enough.

I certainly agree, but I think most of us are looking at this running it's course over the next 2-3 months, at which point Cally will have a decision to make. At this juncture, all we have is what is being reported. Based on that information, we're making assessments as to how best to deal with it. If it turns out that the guy is snowy clean, then he shouldn't face any disciplinary action. Most of us (myself included) don't think that's the case, but we'll find out soon enough.

Sacky's on target, see Hillbilly's quote: "I'm very concerned about this current situation. I am still in the process of gathering all the facts. I will determine the appropriate consequences when due process has transpired. Until such time, I will have no further comment regarding the situation."

To me Hillbilly has clearly indicated he's not doing squat until the judge makes his call which is likely to be at least 3 months from now and possibly after the season if it goes to trial. Either way, the more time Cally has between the incident and when he has to "determine the appropriate consequences" the more he can lighten the punishment Purify will have face from the program. My guess, Cally goes through the motion of "disciplining" Purify to give the public the impression he's got morals and standards - 1 game suspension against one of your non-conf creampuffs...that'll teach him.

"Police also say Purify also assaulted the man's girlfriend"

wow this is the *ebraska football program to a tee

Clearly, they are on the road to righting their program. There is a corelation between percentage of arrests and violent crimes and winning the mNC.

that sucks for us. maybe. :smile2:

Sacky's on target, see Hillbilly's quote: "I'm very concerned about this current situation. I am still in the process of gathering all the facts. I will determine the appropriate consequences when due process has transpired. Until such time, I will have no further comment regarding the situation."

To me Hillbilly has clearly indicated he's not doing squat until the judge makes his call which is likely to be at least 3 months from now and possibly after the season if it goes to trial. Either way, the more time Cally has between the incident and when he has to "determine the appropriate consequences" the more he can lighten the punishment Purify will have face from the program. My guess, Cally goes through the motion of "disciplining" Purify to give the public the impression he's got morals and standards - 1 game suspension against one of your non-conf creampuffs...that'll teach him.

What's wrong with waiting until someone's actualy proven to have done something wrong rather than merely accused? Did you learn nothing from our 'scandal' in 2004?

What's wrong with waiting until someone's actualy proven to have done something wrong rather than merely accused? Did you learn nothing from our 'scandal' in 2004?

accused and charged are two different things

I don't think it's out of the question to have due process run it's course by the end of July.

If they charge him, they have 180 from the date of the arraignment to trial. No thanks to the press in this country, we still have the right to a speedy trial that should ensure that due process is handled efficiently.

i actually went over to huskerpedia and saw a more balanced account. a few details that seem to be glossed over in your story:

1. the bouncer works at another bar. the incident in question happened over a week ago. the bouncer denied entry of one of moe's friends (for whatever reason) last week.
2. i don't care if the bouncer has a rep for being a hardass, it is clear that he was sitting back enjoying himself when moe walks by.
3. mo spouts off. that he started is clear from the comments from people there that night posted to the newspaper. the bouncer does not have to just sit there waylon and take it. he replies in kind.
4. mo shoves the bouncer into the wall. he then gets the bouncer on a table and starts to choke him.
5. mo also manages to hit the bouncers girlfriend in the face. i would go insane if some caveman were choking anyone i was with. apparently, i am more creative with bar props than the girl in question is. the least mo can expect at this point is a, "take your ****ing hands off my boyfriend." sorry if this makes mo emotional.
6. when the police arrive it takes four grown men to get mo under control.

when it comes down to it, mo should know he has a lot to lose, and it just might not be worth it to start something over an incident from a week before?

i think people should be able to make appropriate decisions no matter who is on a power trip or provoking. you think mo was an angel going out of his way to flap his jaw at the bouncer?

:huh: not defending the version I typed at all, it is just two "eye-witness" accounts I heard on two different local radio shows, I did say I did not even know if they were true accountings or not..... The RA charge is hard to get around, I think it is obvious Mo did wrong, it is to what extent now.

I am waiting too see what Cally is going to do about it more than worrying about details of the incident at this point. He should know better, whether provoked or not these guys must be schooled to walk away, live to play another day on the field, swallow a little pride to catch TD passes. This young man stands in line for a pro payday should he have a good season, this will not be the last time someone will push his buttons. I think it is a matter of how many games or how much of fall camp he should miss at this point. This is somewhat of a test for me, one of Cally's own recruits, one of the best players on the team, his (Cally's) first major bump between a Cally recruited player and the law..... we shall see.

i am pretty sure what gb or hawk would have done (and what i would do if i were a hc of a major program). first, you investigate the incident yourself and you determine whether the player put himself in a situation he shouldn't have. did he breach the conduct policies? if so, then you suspend him for at least a game or more based upon your view of what he did wrong. and you tell him and everyone else that if the criminal investigation results in charges or a conviction, then the suspension will be revisited and future sanctions such as removal from the team could apply.

that's the right way to handle this, i think.

i am pretty sure what gb or hawk would have done (and what i would do if i were a hc of a major program). first, you investigate the incident yourself and you determine whether the player put himself in a situation he shouldn't have. did he breach the conduct policies? if so, then you suspend him for at least a game or more based upon your view of what he did wrong. and you tell him and everyone else that if the criminal investigation results in charges or a conviction, then the suspension will be revisited and future sanctions such as removal from the team could apply.

GB would've called the player-in-question, "A terrible [insert position here]." :smile2:

I agree that that is how is should be done (and how I would do it too if I were HC) and it does sound like Cally is investigating it himself but I got the impression from his comments that he would do nothing (no suspension, etc. based on his own findings) until the courts make their judgment which is a cop out IMHO. Maybe Cally will take action soon and I'm taking his "due process" comment to literally but I just got this feeling he's using it as an excuse to keep one of his best players on the field.

I got this from poster on the CU Rivals board, who got it from a poster on the Fusker Rivals free board, who got it from somewhere... (I guess that makes it quadruple hearsay :huh:)

Sounds bad, if true. Buh-bye Mo... or not

csabatka1

Junior
Post #1266
Lincoln
MyFanPage

Details Regarding MO situation - - From Police Arresting Affidavit

This is the probable cause affidavit straight from the police report. 4 officers signed the affidavit.

According to the police the report Mo confronted Joshua at the Alley smoking garden, yelled "you're the mother fer, that took my friends id." then pushed Joshua down onto the ground and punched him 4-5 times. The g/f tried to pull Mo off of Josh and Mo turned around and hit the g/f. The g/f had redness and slight swelling on her face according to the report.

Joshua said the week before Mo and his friend tried to get into the Brass Rail. Mo's friend had a fake which Joshua took and denied them entrance.

Halet (spelling ???) who works at the Alley observed Mo punching Josh while he was on the ground. Halet pulled Mo off and tried repeatally to get Mo out of the building. There were about 15 warnings from the Alley staff for him to leave. Several people finally got Mo outside when he tried to jump fence to the smoking garden and head after Joshua.

The police arrived and Mo refused arrest, crossing his arms and standing against the wall. Purify was verbally warned 15 times and 4 officers to put his arms behind his back. After several minutes he was finally detained and taken to jail. Partial sample was taken and Mo registered a 126 BAC.

I got this from poster on the CU Rivals board, who got it from a poster on the Fusker Rivals free board, who got it from somewhere... (I guess that makes it quadruple hearsay :huh:)

so much for the argument that the girl got what she deserved, compounded with an insinuation leaning towards the racial card. :huh:

may i remind those who think this is a prototypical bar fight that assault in public and disorderly conduct is not entirely lawful behavior?

still, big red has games to win, and the masses have been pissing their pants that they will lose to usc without mo. therefore, he will certainly stay in lincoln. the icing on the cake will be when they lose with or without he-who-goes-volcanic-over-a-confiscated-fake-id.

June 7 is the court date so Cally will have to make a call before the start of fall camp. Should this be the "true" version it is apparent Mo should be booted from the team. in fact it is so opposite of the radio version me thinks that was a planted call into both shows. Should this version be from the actual affidavit it sounds like Mo should be steppin yesterday...... unless of course.... that would do him more harm being away from the only structure in his life, I mean, he could slip into a negatively charged life style if he does not have the positive influence of being on a team, part of a unit, that a structured football program provides, looked what happened to Lawrence Phillips once he was out of Lincoln.......... God, I hope not.

sounds like Mo should be steppin yesterday...... unless of course.... that would do him more harm being away from the only structure in his life, I mean, he could slip into a negatively charged life style if he does not have the positive influence of being on a team, part of a unit, that a structured football program provides

:violin:

it's really not that uncharted for Callahan. In Callahan's first season he kicked off All American bound center Richie Incognito off the team because he was being a complete jerk and distraction and breaking team rules left and right. This was at a time when O-Line was a huge weakness of ours at the time.

I think regardless of what he does he's going to get hammered by people. If he doesn't punish Mo with what appears to be a stiff penalty, like if they decide to handle it internally, whatever that is, then he'll look like he just wants to win, and if he kicks him off the team, he'll look like a jerk. I mean after all, it's just a barfight.

By the way, it's sounding more and more like she jumped into the fracas and was hit by a punch that was not meant for her, like a hockey ref trying to stop a fight.

Just thought you all should know, it no longer looks like she was hit with this type of punch. Witnesses are saying she was behind him trying to pull him off of the bouncer and he turned and fired a punch at her.

oh crap!

unless of course.... that would do him more harm being away from the only structure in his life, I mean, he could slip into a negatively charged life style if he does not have the positive influence of being on a team, part of a unit, that a structured football program provides, looked what happened to Lawrence Phillips once he was out of Lincoln.......... God, I hope not.

Thank you, Dr. Tom Osborne... :lol: :lol:

unless of course.... that would do him more harm being away from the only structure in his life, I mean, he could slip into a negatively charged life style if he does not have the positive influence of being on a team, part of a unit, that a structured football program provides, looked what happened to Lawrence Phillips once he was out of Lincoln.......... God, I hope not.

As opposed to what he was like when he was IN Lincoln? :huh:

Again, this was an incredibly stupid move on his part. He should face repurcussions just because he put himself in a position where this could happen. Damn, kid, don't you know you're a target? How stupid are you anyway? Don't answer that.

I guess the police report said that the chic (forgive me lady blaise), had only some redness around her cheek. So either Mo punches like a girl or didn't punch her.

I say this because of my prior statement about it looking like he did punch her, well now it looks like more of a push to keep her off of him, so he could continue imposing his physicalness on the bouncer, who may or may not have called Mo a nagger (for you southpark watchers out there).

oh no the race card, I get so sick of that ****, just because someone insults you it doesnt give you the right to kick their ass, resist arrest, and hit a girl.

I guess the police report said that the chic (forgive me lady blaise), had only some redness around her cheek. So either Mo punches like a girl or didn't punch her.

I say this because of my prior statement about it looking like he did punch her, well now it looks like more of a push to keep her off of him, so he could continue imposing his physicalness on the bouncer, who may or may not have called Mo a nagger (for you southpark watchers out there).

I know you're trying to make this seem like it's not such a big deal, but the fact of the matter is that Purify should have been smarter than to put himself in a position where this kind of thing can happen. It's just plain stupid. Cally should be beside himself about how one of his kids would get himself into this kind of spot in the first place. Especially in a place like Lincoln, where everybody in the whole town knows every guy on the football team, they are TARGETS.

When I was at CU, we used to get guys like Alfred Williams coming to the fraternity house for parties because it was a way for him to socialize without being in a very public place like Pearl St. It's not rocket science. Keep your ass away from those situations.

lets see after reading all these post it looks like...

1. fake id, of one of mo's posse was confiscated by one said doorman a week prior to the assault.

2. night of assult, mo goes looking for this said doorman, finds said doorman and assaults said doorman.... (premeditated) while intoxicated above the legal state limit

3. young lady jumps on mo's back to try to pull him off and mo strikes the young lady...

my question is why is he still on the team and still on scholarship to the university. I know of several coaches and schools that he would be off the team and the scholarship pulled already.

lets see after reading all these post it looks like...

1. fake id, of one of mo's posse was confiscated by one said doorman a week prior to the assault.

2. night of assult, mo goes looking for this said doorman, finds said doorman and assaults said doorman.... (premeditated) while intoxicated above the legal state limit

3. young lady jumps on mo's back to try to pull him off and mo strikes the young lady...

my question is why is he still on the team and still on scholarship to the university. I know of several coaches and schools that he would be off the team and the scholarship pulled already.

I think they are trying to get all the facts of the whole incident first before they react.

Back