What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB 2019: CU Opponent Records Thread

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
We're not gonna do an RPI thread this year because the NCAA changed how the selection committee is picking teams for the Dance. They're using about 8 different measures and it's way too much work to try to figure it out.

Instead, we'll have this thread to track how our opponents are doing and then add a "CU Resume & Bubble Watch" thread as we get closer to the end of the season (probably in February).

CU Opponent​
CU Result​
Opponent Record​
Drake (H)​
(W) 100-71​
6-1​
Omaha (H)​
(W) 79-75​
3-6​
San Diego (A)​
(L) 64-70​
7-2​
Air Force (A)​
(W) 93-56​
4-5​
Portland (H)​
(W) 93-69​
5-5​
CSU (H)​
(W) 86-80​
4-5​
South Dakota (H)​
(W) 82-58​
4-4​
IL-Chicago (H)​
(W) 84-72​
4-6​
New Mexico (A)​
(W) 78-75​
4-4​
Indiana State (N)​
...​
5-2​
UNLV or Hawaii (N)​
...​
...​
Tourney Final (N)​
...​
...​
Arizona (A)​
...​
7-2​
Arizona State (A)​
...​
6-1​
Washington State (H)​
...​
5-2​
Washington (H)​
...​
6-3​
Utah (A)​
...​
4-3​
Cal (A)​
...​
2-5​
Stanford (A)​
...​
4-4​
Oregon State (H)​
...​
6-1​
Oregon (H)​
...​
4-3​
UCLA (A)​
...​
6-2​
USC (A)​
...​
5-4​
Arizona State (H)​
...​
6-1​
Arizona (H)​
...​
7-2​
Washington State (A)​
...​
5-2​
Washington (A)​
...​
6-3​
Utah (H)​
...​
4-3​
UCLA (H)​
...​
6-2​
USC (H)​
...​
5-4​
Pac-12 Tourney (N)​
...​
...​
Pac-12 Tourney (N)​
...​
...​
Pac-12 Tourney (N)​
...​
...​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
CU Record: 8-1 (0-0)

Last edited:
Air Force is trying to win in OT right now against UMBC. Tied at 66.

Air Force falls to 1-2. That series is something Tad needs to start questioning for our schedule every year. It's been a game that drags down the resume for a number of years now.

#17 UCLA vs #7 North Carolina in Vegas at 2pm
Stanford vs Middle Tennessee in Bahamas at 5pm
Grand Canyon vs Utah in Fullerton, CA at 7pm
Cal Poly vs Portland in Portland at 8pm

Utah getting destroyed by Northwestern in the Wooden Classic today was not a good look for the Pac-12.

Oregon lost at home to 25 point underdog Texas Southern. Their fans are losing their minds I feel really bad for them and for Dana Altman especially.
YvzqC0q.gif

5-1 is a good place to be.

With South Dakota and UIC at home this week, 7-1 is the expectation before heading on the road to New Mexico.

Anyone up for a road trip?

Cal is really bad. San Fran is pretty good this season, but a 19 point home loss is ridiculous.

Best news of the day is that San Diego just made our 1 loss look even more respectable. Went into San Diego State's building and owned the Aztecs. 73-61. Outscored them 47-28 in the 2nd half in a complete dismantling of that team.

San Diego is at Oregon tonight (8pm, PACN). Will be interesting to see how that one goes.

Buffs are #40 in the current NET rankings. Not sure how meaningful these are yet, but who does?

P12 schools ahead of us currently:

ASU #25
UCLA #33
Arizona #38

Other P12:
Washington #44
Oregon #58
Oregon St #69
Stanford #87
USC #126
Utah #140
Cal #161
Washington St #165

Diamond Head Classic:
Indiana St #120

UNLV #155
vs.
Hawaii #137

Rhode Island #122
vs.
Bucknell #271

Charlotte #286
vs.
TCU #51

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Buff OOC schedule is weak again. I know it’s a strategy and helps a fairly young team get some experience and confidence (not to mention padding the record), and I’m not completely sure whether Tad has challenges getting top teams to play with, but it tends to build false hopes and I’m not sure it’s good prep for the PAC12 season. Perusing the Missouri-Illinois game upcoming, I was surprised at the difference between those teams’ schedules and ours. Illinois’ OOC includes Georgetown, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Xavier, Notre Dame, UNLV andMissouri. Missouri’s includes Iowa State, Oregon State, Kansas State, Temple, UCF, Xavier and Illinois. Not saying all those teams are having great years, but they’re teams with tradition and all will present a significant challenge. For the Buffs - maybe San Diego, CSU, New Mexico qualify as potential challenges, with perhaps games with UNLV and TCU in the upcoming tournament. But not exactly comparable to the scheduled of those other two teams.

Just wondering if this strategy is effective. 3 years ago OOC was 10-2 with 10-8 PAC and an NCAA game (the 10-2 OOC provided the boost to make the NCAA, although the team was certainly decent). Next year OOC was 10-3 with 8-10 PAC, last year was 8-4 with another 8-10 in PAC.

Not trying to diss the Torerros, but it could very well turn out that our first five PAC12 games are the toughest teams we face so far. Not sure that’s a good way to enter the conference schedule. Interested in what others think.

Tad said over the summer that he had difficulty getting teams to come to Boulder. We're in a weird place where we can beat good teams at home, but haven't been making the tournament. Not much incentive for teams to come to Boulder.

I didn't look into Missouri's schedule closely, but Illinois's schedule benefits from the Big Ten scheduling partners, as well as its preseason tournament.
Georgetown was part of the Gavitt Tipoff Games, a Big Ten vs. Big East challenge
Notre Dame was part of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge
Gonzaga, Xavier and Iowa St were part of the Maui Invitational

As for Missouri, they have an annual rivalry game played at a neutral court.

We haven't participated in the strongest preseason tournaments, which I guess we can fault Tad for, but I'm not sure how those invites work. I bet Tad would agree he needs to improve the competition of the OOC, but some of that will take care of itself if/when we get back to the tourney.

Last edited:
Buffs are #40 in the current NET rankings. Not sure how meaningful these are yet, but who does?

P12 schools ahead of us currently:

ASU #25
UCLA #33
Arizona #38

Other P12:
Washington #44
Oregon #58
Oregon St #69
Stanford #87
USC #126
Utah #140
Cal #161
Washington St #165

Diamond Head Classic:
Indiana St #120

UNLV #155
vs.
Hawaii #137

Rhode Island #122
vs.
Bucknell #271

Charlotte #286
vs.
TCU #51

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings
Yikes- I hadn't really looked at the bracket yet, but seeing it laid out like this: CU really has to win the tournament this weekend, although coming up short against TCU in the final would probably be ok. Any other outcome will be a disaster.

Air Force falls to 1-2. That series is something Tad needs to start questioning for our schedule every year. It's been a game that drags down the resume for a number of years now.

If I were them, I'd bring Joe Scott back and let him see if he can pull off what he did in the early 2000s again.

Arizona has some good talent, but I wasn't the least bit impressed seeing what I've seen from them, so far. They'll probably improve as the year goes, I guess. Their coach is a ****ing goober, so I'm not really surprised by it.:D .I don't know who is the bigger ****ing goober, him or Alford?

Back