What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

McCulloch at TE?

boydbuff

Club Member
Club Member
I realize he is too thin to be an effective blocking TE but he seems ripe to be placed in the TE spot on passing downs given the lack of pass catching TEs on the roster.

Seems like he could be a real matchup nightmare in the TE spot if we have PRich, JT, Spruce and/or DD on the field too.

Last edited:
I would love to see this. A tall, sure-handed TE for obvious pass situations would give another weapon as long as our 5 OL can block long enough for the QB to get a good throw off. If they can't, well, damn it we'll have to nix that and get another blocker out there instead.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him lined up in the tight slot in a 3 or 4 WR set but don't call him a TE. He is tall but still doesn't come close to the build or bulk of a TE.

M2 is going to have to do some creative things to open up passing opportunities, multiple WR sets are likely to be part of this. McColloch is big and strong enough to work in tight spaces if they can get him matched up against safeties and is also a mismatch in the zones if they can get him running against most LBs.

The key to all this is may be keeping Powell healthy since in the absence of a traditional TE he has the size and strength to potential be the guy to pick up blitzes or to help with the dominant pass rushing ends.

I realize he is too thin to be an effective blocking TE but he seems ripe to be placed in the TE spot on passing downs given the lack of pass catching TEs on the roster.

Seems like he could be a real matchup nightmare in the TE spot if we have PRich, JT, Spruce and/or DD on the field too.

I think you accomplish that by pulling your TE in that situation and running 4 wide. You put DD/Spruce/McCullough/PRich/J.Thomas all on the field at the same time....

If you just need a tall thin guy with hands to line of at TE, we already have Slavin.

It defies physics to go from a wide receiver to a tight end.

I think you accomplish that by pulling your TE in that situation and running 4 wide. You put DD/Spruce/McCullough/PRich/J.Thomas all on the field at the same time....

I don't want to see either, but this solution is the better of the two. McCollough has over achieved like no player since Scotty M., but placing him at tight end exposes Wood in a way I don't like. If I'm going to a four reciever set, I want speed after the catch and the mismatch to be created by a burner instead of a hands guy without breakaway speed. I was encouraged by how the JC transfer looked in practice video on both throws I saw next to Wood. He looks like a big body, and unfortunately I think durability of our QB's will be a consideration this year.

:nod: Not due to speed but if you have to put a 5'8" or 5'10" nickel back on him that is a matchup nightmare if you ask me.

Assuming you have a quarterback that could reliably deliver the ball into the couple inch window where he could catch it, and the the db couldn't. I haven't seen that in a while.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him lined up in the tight slot in a 3 or 4 WR set but don't call him a TE.
At 215 lbs I don't see him ever lining up at TE unless he can nicely pack on 25-30lbs. Howell's DC article does say that he has been playing inside more.
McCulloch, who lined up almost exclusively on the outside last year under former coach Jon Embree, has been playing inside and outside during practices with new coach Mike MacIntyre.

Wouldn't teams just put a bigger DB like a safety on him?

Yes, so I think it's crucial to go 4 or 5 wide in the first two games and attack our lower tiered opponents' pass defense often. We've proven trying to beat them by running it down their throats doesn't work with this personnel. If executed successfully and hoping more than one of our fast receivers emerges as a deep threat it will hopefully get our big play passing game more respect and open up McCulloch to make a short grab inside to move the chains or get DD in space to make a catch and see what he can do with his feet. They'll be blitzing the hell out of Connor so if he can start with a few yards of cushion and make quicker reads and smarter throws I see us with a much improved offense over last year's disaster. Very wishful thinking but if our top 5 receivers stay healthy we at least have options to get creative in our attack.

If our front 5 O-line guys don't stay healthy, we will have to be all kinds of creative. In fact, they won't stay healthy, but I only hope they don't miss too many games, or have multiple guys out at once. Our 2nd team guys will get destroyed by any team on our schedule. Any.

Would really like to see a set with 5 WRs that included a possession guy or two, and some speed (PRich, Ross, etc). I've been watching CU football since around 1998 and I've not seen us put any speed on the field beyond one player at a time (Josh Smith, PRich, etc).

Would really like to see a set with 5 WRs that included a possession guy or two, and some speed (PRich, Ross, etc). I've been watching CU football since around 1998 and I've not seen us put any speed on the field beyond one player at a time (Josh Smith, PRich, etc).

It seems like post 1994, we mostly operated with one speed receiver, a good running game and good tight ends. Seeing multiple players with speed could really be fun.

Not exactly sure why you would want to put him at TE. If he is covered up. he might have a good time getting the proper release. If CU goes to three or four wide (or even five), I guess I would prefer to see him on the outside with a better match-up for a release.

Just my $0.02. Do agree he needs to be on the field as much as possible.

Back