What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

McKinley Wright IV

BuffsNYC

This is why no one likes [me]
Club Member
Can a recruiting nerd fill me in on just why Wright was committed to Dayton? Then let me know why when the coach left he was there for Tad to snag? Was he not recruited by any B1G teams?

Don't get me wrong, I know Dayton's been good recently. He just seems like a bigger talent that should've gotten offers from bigger programs.

Can a recruiting nerd fill me in on just why Wright was committed to Dayton? Then let me know why when the coach left he was there for Tad to snag? Was he not recruited by any B1G teams?

Don't get me wrong, I know Dayton's been good recently. He just seems like a bigger talent that should've gotten offers from bigger programs.
What this really brings up is that there are a lot of exceptionally talented guards who are under 6’3”. CU has not been recruiting them and most Big Six programs don’t. There are huge opportunities to get those VCU type guards that CU can take advantage of.

Size. A lot of the team in the area overlooked him because of that. On top of that, Miller at Dayton had a pretty good rep so it wasn’t like the kid was picking CSU over P5 schools. When Miller left rumor had it that he wanted Wright at Indiana but the previous staff oversigned so it wasn’t an option.

The dude is awesome. Looking forward to watching hit dos a de tales. Can he shoot the three?

I don't know guys - I think you (Goose and Buffnik) may be overstating the size factor. I fully admit - I DO NOT know any details of Wright's recruitment, especially by the schools in MN/area. But he's still about 6'0". Sure, height always helps, but there are kids every year that are "short" and highly recruited. Again, if you've read stories or heard from legit sources that size was THE hindering factor, great; I'll cede the point. But, just knowing there are players around Wright's size that are highly recruited makes me think he just didn't show well during the summer circuits or just didn't get the necessary exposure.

I'm really pumped about the kid, but I'm interested to see how he performs against better competition. He could be special, but we haven't played anyone really tough yet. Before we wonder why he wasn't a four-star consensus top 100 player, we should see how he is against better teams.

I don't know guys - I think you (Goose and Buffnik) may be overstating the size factor. I fully admit - I DO NOT know any details of Wright's recruitment, especially by the schools in MN/area. But he's still about 6'0". Sure, height always helps, but there are kids every year that are "short" and highly recruited. Again, if you've read stories or heard from legit sources that size was THE hindering factor, great; I'll cede the point. But, just knowing there are players around Wright's size that are highly recruited makes me think he just didn't show well during the summer circuits or just didn't get the necessary exposure.

I'm really pumped about the kid, but I'm interested to see how he performs against better competition. He could be special, but we haven't played anyone really tough yet. Before we wonder why he wasn't a four-star consensus top 100 player, we should see how he is against better teams.
When do we play someone good?

It will be really interesting at how he is playing come Feb/March. He really looks to be playing hard, and being a freshman, not sure how well he will be able to keep it going. Different sport I know, but even Bo Jackson said that he had a hard time at the end of his freshman year.

But with that said, he doesnt look like your typical scrawny kid, so I am hoping he finishes strong.

I don't know guys - I think you (Goose and Buffnik) may be overstating the size factor. I fully admit - I DO NOT know any details of Wright's recruitment, especially by the schools in MN/area. But he's still about 6'0".

You may be right, and I'll fully admit the size thing could be overblown, but I do have to step in here at this bit. He's listed at 6'0". If Wright is actually 6'0", then I'm actually a billionaire. It's pretty obvious seeing him stand next to some of the other guys on the team at games.

When do we play someone good?

Xavier in 2 weeks. CSU and New Mexico are both meh to bad.

It will be really interesting at how he is playing come Feb/March. He really looks to be playing hard, and being a freshman, not sure how well he will be able to keep it going. Different sport I know, but even Bo Jackson said that he had a hard time at the end of his freshman year.

But with that said, he doesnt look like your typical scrawny kid, so I am hoping he finishes strong.

That's an interesting question - basketball players are much more used to playing tons of games, they have all most likely been playing summer leagues for years before they get to college, but suddenly you're playing against bigger, stronger men.

Not sure how that breaks down.

IDK why McKinley wasn't rated higher by the recruiting sites but the fact that Archie Miller wanted him is all I need to know.

Like dyemeduke said there are lots of short guys who get recruited by the blue bloods. Tyler Ulis from Kentucky (5' 8"), Frank Mason from Kansas - 2017 Naismith player of the year (5'11"). Ty Lawson from North Carolina (5'11"). Maybe I'm cherry-picking but in the fantasy world I live in McKinley Wright is just as good as those guys.

If he was 6'4" he probably wouldn't have ended up at CU or Dayton but that shouldn't have prevented more schools from going after him. There's a lot more to size than height. McKinley is built like a running back and strong. It's noticeable when he drives into the bodies of much bigger guys and creates separation allowing him to finish with high efficiency. That same strength has me hoping he doesn't hit a freshman wall because this team will go as far as he and GMFK can take them.

I can't wait to see him play some PAC-12 competition.

Man, these guys do nothing but play b-ball year round. He’ll be fine.

Man, these guys do nothing but play b-ball year round. He’ll be fine.

I am willing to bet that its not just the physical nature of playing basketball, but also the stress. Its not like there is the same amount of pressure for summer ball as there is in conference play, probably something that they have not seen before.

With the exception of a few of the elite prep programs, the competition is likely significantly higher than anything they have played with before.

I was fortunate to be in college (Southern Illinois, then transferring to Ill State) to be able to see Walt Frazier the year they won NIT, and then Doug Collins (1st All American, almost Olympic hero when amatuers played Russian pros, 29+ pts college career, 1st pick in 1973 draft) for 2 years. (yep, I'm that old!) There was something immediately obvious about them a couple of games into the season..i.e. they had the IT factor. The freshman ineligible rule was in effect and no 3 pt line. So I'm not going to jinx MW4 and put him in that stratosphere, and partly because he is only 6' but it seems obvious to everyone he is special and no real deficiencies. Maybe the conference will find some weaknesses. Quick thoughts on the SDSU game. Of course Daum reminds people of Bird, at least shooting ability but not play making skills. We can only hope Seiwert and Bey can replicate a semblance to their efforts last night in the future, I saw positive things I hadnt seen before. Laz seems like a versatile piece if only he can develop offensively a little more (I thought he was gypped on a couple of Daum fouls}.

Wright has an assist rate of 34%. That's 35th in the nation. He's also drawing 4.9 fouls per 40 minutes (444th in the nation) and only committing 1.9 fouls per 40 (126th). Talked briefly to @Darth Snow about this last night, and yeah his scoring has gone down a bit the last few games, but his assists are still up there which is huge. I think he's hitting a little bit of a frosh wall combined with the fact that George and Namon have both really stepped up on offense the last few weeks - allowing him to take a bit of a back seat.

God this kid is good.

(and dammit, Bey may deserve one of these threads soon with the way he's playing)

Wright has an assist rate of 34%. That's 35th in the nation. He's also drawing 4.9 fouls per 40 minutes (444th in the nation) and only committing 1.9 fouls per 40 (126th). Talked briefly to @Darth Snow about this last night, and yeah his scoring has gone down a bit the last few games, but his assists are still up there which is huge. I think he's hitting a little bit of a frosh wall combined with the fact that George and Namon have both really stepped up on offense the last few weeks - allowing him to take a bit of a back seat.

God this kid is good.

(and dammit, Bey may deserve one of these threads soon with the way he's playing)
Biggest factor for the recent struggles is that he was leading the team in scoring and was named Pac-12 POTW. USC and UCLA designed their entire game plans around keying on him. They pressured with their best perimeter defender, harassed in the back court, ran traps at him, and spied him with a rim protector in case he beat this. What they're giving him is long jumpers, which is an area of his game he does need to improve.

Biggest factor for the recent struggles is that he was leading the team in scoring and was named Pac-12 POTW. USC and UCLA designed their entire game plans around keying on him. They pressured with their best perimeter defender, harassed in the back court, ran traps at him, and spied him with a rim protector in case he beat this. What they're giving him is long jumpers, which is an area of his game he does need to improve.
Good. This will only accelerate his development.

Wright is gonna be fine. Struggles were gonna happen at some point, no way around it. The cool thing is, it's gonna make him better.

He is facing some struggles right now but still finding ways to contribute which is huge.

Back