What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Men's Golf 2018 spring and early spring 2019 season news and results

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
As with the women's golf and tennis teams, thought I'd start a consolidated pre- and regular-season thread for the men's golf team, as I see they have a full schedule listed now, and they look to start their fall schedule relatively soon (on Sept. 7th. at an Air Force hosted tournament). (Unlike the women's team, I haven't seen an article going over the fall schedule yet.)

Although the "real" NCAA and Pac 12 Championship season is in the spring, the team competes in roughly the same number of regular season tournaments in the fall (looks like 5 tournaments in the fall vs. 6 in the spring up til the Pac 12 Championships). I plan on us using this thread for all men's golf news and results until the Pac 12 championships (scheduled to start on April 22nd) get their own thread.

Their schedule - https://cubuffs.com/schedule.aspx?path=mgolf

Note - Especially for any Buff fans who are golfers and like to accumulate Buff swag,or just Buff swag fans in general, looks like the team is marketing a new (Chip-oriented) logo this year.

Article on logo - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/8/30/mens-golf-cu-golf-teams-unveil-new-logo.aspx

Best wishes to the men's golf team as they start their fall season tomorrow at an Air Force Academy hosted tournament.

Preview - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/9/6/mens-golf-golfers-open-fall-season-friday-at-air-force.aspx

"
Golfers Open Fall Season Friday At Air Force

By: David Plati, Associate AD/Sports Information
Release: September 06, 2018

Buffs Have Just One Senior On Their Roster

BOULDER — The University of Colorado men's golf team will open its 99th season of intercollegiate competition Friday just down Interstate 25 in the 50th Annual Gene Miranda Air Force Falcon Invitational.

The 54-hole tournament will be played over three days on the USAFA's Eisenhower Blue course, a par-72 layout that spans some 7,511 yards. Play features 18 holes each on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with 7:30 a.m. start times for the first two rounds and a 7:15 start on Sunday.

Sixteen schools will be competing in the event; in addition to CU and host Air Force, Abilene Christian, Drake, Missouri State, New Mexico State, Northern Colorado, Northern Iowa, SIU-Edwardsville, Southern Utah, Texas State, UC Davis, Utah State, Utah Valley State, Weber State and the meet's defending champion, Wyoming, are entered in the field.
"

Leader board - http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=16762

Congrats to men's golf for getting both a team win and indivual medalist honors in their 1st tournament of the fall season!

The Men's golf team completed their fall competitive schedule yesterday. Hope they train, practice and study hard, and are ready to "kick some A" when they're back in tournament play starting in February.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/10...season-with-tie-for-fourth-in-paintbrush.aspx

"
PARKER — The University of Colorado men's golf team finished up the fall portion of its 2018-19 schedule here Tuesday by tying for fourth in the Denver's Paintbrush Invitational.

A dozen teams battled the elements over two days, including frost delays, chilly temperatures rain and stoppages due to light snowfall. When all was said and done, Colorado State captured the team title with a 6-over par 870 team score, pulling away from the field over the last nine holes. Oregon finished dsecond, eight back at 14-over 878, with Northern Colorado taking the bronze position at 19-over 883.

The Buffaloes tied for fourth with Loyola-Marymount with 23-over par 887 scores. CU was in the hunt for the first portion of the day, and was 3-under early in the final round but closed poorly, particularly after a lengthy delay due to light snowfall during the Noon hour. The four players who would account for the Buffs' team score finished their last six holes a combined 13-ove par.

"We were in a great position to start the day," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "We had three holes left (from Monday) and were actually playing pretty well through 10 or 11 holes, but then it started snowing. We had a delay of about 50 minutes, but when we came back out, we just didn't play very well.

"We were competing to win the tournament, as we were right there with seven or eight holes left, but we didn't play holes 2 through 6 very well. We simply didn't respond well after the delay and that's why we finished fourth. We're all disappointed to end the fall on this kind of note."

Edwards paused to reflect back on his team's fall season.

"I thought it was okay, our two wins were actually really good, but when we played poorly, things just weren't good at all," he said. "Moving forward, we need to get more consistent. Daniel had a really good fall, for the most part five solid tournaments. I saw good moments from every player on the roster. Despite the inconsistencies this fall, I'm really excited about this team's direction and what we're going to look like at the end of the year."

The Buffaloes will resume play in January with their annual Alumni match in Scottsdale, and then will participate in Hawai'i-Hilo's Amer Ari Invitational to officially open the spring season in February.
"

The main spring season starts for the men's team tomorrow. Go get'um in Hawaii Buffs!

Preview - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/2/5/mens-golfers-open-spring-slate-thursday.aspx

"
Men's Golfers Open Spring Slate Thursday

Release: February 05, 2019

For the 14th Straight Year, Buffs Open In Hawai'i

WAIKOLOA, Hawai'i — The University of Colorado men's golf team will once again open the spring portion of its schedule in "paradise," as for the 14th straight year, the Buffaloes will participate in the 28th annual Amer Ari Hawaii-Hilo Invitational.

The tournament, which runs this Thursday through Saturday, is one of many that open the spring collegiate season and usually provides an early indication of where the Buffs stand nationally. Colorado had an up-and-down kind of fall season, finishing down the line in the rankings (No. 73, GolfStat; No. 81, Golfweek). Those are currently within qualifying range for the NCAA Championships, but the all on the team know they need to improve those rankings and this event provides a solid opportunity to move up.

One again the field comprised here is one of the strongest in the spring, with eight of the nation's top 45 teams (GolfStat rankings) set to compete here, including top-ranked Oklahoma State and No. 2 Georgia Tech. Others include Southern California (No. 8), Texas (No. 14), Auburn (No. 16), Texas Tech (No. 29), Stanford (No. 31) and Oregon (No. 45). Overall, 12 teams in the nation's top 75 are participating, and as always is the case, the 18-team field is saturated with Pac-12 Conference teams, six of which are competing this time around.

The three-day tournament is a real treat for the participants, as the tournament will be played on the renowned 7,074-yard, par-72 Waikoloa King's Course on Hawai'i's Big Island, a Scottish links-style layout with fairways interspersed between ancient lava fields, along with numerous lakes and pot bunkers. The teams will play 18 holes each day in a shotgun start format at 10:30 a.m. MST; temperatures are forecast to be in the mid-70s, but with a 50 percent of showers for Thursday's first round before sunny skies should rule the last two days. The trade winds could kick up as well, expected to be in the teens all three days.

Colorado head coach Roy Edwards previously had said of the fall season, I thought it was okay, our two wins were actually really good, but when we played poorly, things just weren't good at all. Moving forward, we need to get more consistent. I saw good moments from every player on the roster. Despite the inconsistencies this fall, I'm really excited about this team's direction and what we're going to look like at the end of the year."

The Buffs won two tournaments, the Air Force Miranda Invitational and their own Mark Simpson Invitational, and tid for fourth in Denver's Paintbrush invite that closed the fall. In-between the Buffs struggled in Utah's Showdown in the Rockies (eight out of 10) and in New Mexico's Tucker (seventh out of 17), the two meets with the strongest fields in the fall according to Golfweek's rankings.

"We are excited to get going this week; the off-season has been a good one," said Edwards. "Guys have been very dedicated working hard and getting better. We had a good weekend last week in Arizona (at an alumni event) and the weather has been decent enough at home we have been able to play. This is a fun group who is very competitive and ready for the spring."

Six Buffaloes are on trip: juniors Daniel O'Loughlin (a team-leading 71.2 fall stroke average), Andre Leveque (73.2) and Ross Macdonald (73.7), sophomore Trevor Olkowski (72.1) and freshmen Kristoffer Max (75.0) and John Paterson (73.7); Paterson will be playing as an individual while the other five will count toward CU's team scoring total in the event. Macdonald, Max, O'Loughlin and Olkowski played in all five of CU's fall tournaments.

NOTES: It's the 16th time CU will participate in this meet on Hawai'i's "Big Island," having done so two other times when it wasn't the team's first spring competition … Colorado finished 11th here last year; in 2017, the Buffaloes posted their best finish in the event, tying for fourth with a 23-under par 841 team score (with rounds of 281-279-281) … CU was still 11-under par last year (287-284-282), with Olkowski tying for 41st (1-under 215) … O'Loughlin is the only other player returning this year who was in last year's tournament, but after a first round 75, he was forced to withdraw due to illness (and CU thus had to play "four-scoring-four" the final two rounds) … Current assistant coach Patrick Grady has CU's best individual finish in this meet, as he tied for third as a senior in 2009 (firing a 4-under 212); Jeremy Paul ('17) and Michael Baird ('08) have the best gross scores of 205 … The Buffs opened the spring in Hawai'i one other time, in 1993 in the John Burns Intercollegiate on Oahu.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Live leaderboard - http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=15752

This is a large tournament in that there are 21 teams competing but, at least based on whatever ratings/ rankings are used on the leaderboard, assume the Buffs should look to end near the top, as there are only 3 rated teams (#47 CSU, #18 Texas Tech (co-leaders at +2 as I write this), and #39 KSU) competing.

Last edited:
Looks like Buff junior Daniel O'Loughlin is having a very good tournament (with one round to go).

Not a great tournament but not horrible either, and hopefully they can take some momentum from a solid final round into their next tournament. (They did rally late to pass #50 CSU (the one Top 50 team they defeated) late in the round, and also finished ahead of the corn.)

"
Release: March 12, 2019

Buffs Record Second-Best Single Round This Spring

CHULA VISTA, Calif. — The University of Colorado men's golf team posted its second best single round of the spring here Tuesday, using it to move up two spots into a ninth place finish as the 12th annual Lamkin San Diego Classic came to a close.

No. 4 Arizona State held off a charge from No. 7 Texas to win the tournament. The Sun Devils had a 10-under par 854 score, edging the Longhorns by one stroke after entering the final round with a 10-shot lead. No. 49 St. Mary's claimed third place with an 860 total, jumping over No. 31 North Carolina (861) Tuesday, with co-host San Diego State (872) rounding out the top five.

The Buffaloes, ranked No. 77 nationally, turned in a 1-over par 289 score in the final round, closing with a 19-over 885 total which netted two-stroke wins over in-state rival Colorado State and Pac-12 rival Washington.

"I was really pleased with the guys competitiveness today, I thought they did a great job," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "It's a real good sign if we could be competitive without playing our best. There was still a lot of sloppiness, but we were able to scratch out a decent score. So it was a nice way to end this tournament and look ahead to Tucson next week. The effort was great, the competitiveness was good, we just need to keep improving in our course management and short game."

The Buffaloes will turn right around and head back to the southwest to take part next Monday and Tuesday in the University of Arizona's National Invitational Tournament in Tucson.

NOTES: The average score in the final round the lowest of the three, coming in at 74.20; for the entire tournament (275 rounds), it was 74.78 … Colorado played the par-3 holes at 15-over, tied for fifth-best in the field (and played them even Tuesday); the Buffs were 7-under on the par-5s (seventh in the field), and was plus-35 on the par-4s (13th) … There were just 15 rounds shot in the 60s in the entire event … O'Loughlin remains the team leader in stroke average with a 71.58 figure for 24 rounds.
"

Just based on the ratings listed in the leaderboard (which looks to list the ratings for anyone in the Top 50), looks like a decent result for the team. The un-rated Buffs finished right in the middle of the large 27 team tournament in 14th, behind 4 fellow un-rated teams and ahead of 5 rated teams. Hope they get a good week and a half or so of practice in before heading to Tempe for their final regular season tournament.

Back