What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Michael Porter commits to Washington (update - Mizzou)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
How does Romar keep doing this when he hasn't made the Dance since 2011?

Makes me think that a lot of guys don't care about winning and are more interested in a quick jump to the NBA. Probably not a coincidence that Romar's on-court results have gotten so much worse as his recruiting got so much better on paper.

Romar's demeanor is steady and he is respected by many who know basketball (like Tad Boyle) for his integrity and coaching skills. From the way he deports himself, win or lose, in the limited time that I have seen him at CU and on TV, he strikes me a coach who is even keeled and has great relationships with his players. Their parents are obviously happy to plan their son in his hands. I think that it is not about charisma or money ... just a guy who does it the right way.

Definitely had the connection between his family and Romar. It's interesting to me, that as pointed out before, Washington has been on the outside looking in with March Madness in recent years and still is pulling in the talent that they do. Also, let me note, I understand how passionate, or was passionate, I am not sure the fan base is (or was). They also have a solid history as a foundation. With all that being said, I still think Tad with his success in Boulder, new facilities and amazing school would be able to land high profile recruits as well. I am not saying all 5 star guys, though I wouldn't complain, no I am simply saying guys that we let slip through the cracks. Let's not forget were in the Top-3 and sometimes 2 of Hield, Cousins, Bird, Matthews etc. There's many more I am forgetting. Hopefully Boyle can start closing the deal on guys like this.

Romar is a very good recruiter. I have two friends who son's were recruited by Romar. He always make a family connection, tying himself to the family in some sort of 6 degrees of separation at the very least. In one case, he found out where the family went to church before meeting with them. Then went to the church and met with the pastor. Once he had forged a friendship, he scheduled his visit and keyed on the same relationship they have with the pastor and how they were all family. A very good salesman. This year, he hired a recruit's father and Porter had forged a link with the other top player they signed. No surprise that they both committed. Romar does his homework.

Definitely had the connection between his family and Romar. It's interesting to me, that as pointed out before, Washington has been on the outside looking in with March Madness in recent years and still is pulling in the talent that they do. Also, let me note, I understand how passionate, or was passionate, I am not sure the fan base is (or was). They also have a solid history as a foundation. With all that being said, I still think Tad with his success in Boulder, new facilities and amazing school would be able to land high profile recruits as well. I am not saying all 5 star guys, though I wouldn't complain, no I am simply saying guys that we let slip through the cracks. Let's not forget were in the Top-3 and sometimes 2 of Hield, Cousins, Bird, Matthews etc. There's many more I am forgetting. Hopefully Boyle can start closing the deal on guys like this.

Which Cousins was that?

Romar is a very good recruiter. I have two friends who son's were recruited by Romar. He always make a family connection, tying himself to the family in some sort of 6 degrees of separation at the very least. In one case, he found out where the family went to church before meeting with them. Then went to the church and met with the pastor. Once he had forged a friendship, he scheduled his visit and keyed on the same relationship they have with the pastor and how they were all family. A very good hustler. This year, he hired a recruit's father and Porter had forged a link with the other top player they signed. No surprise that they both committed. Romar does his homework.

FIFY! Whose church will Romar join next year in pursuit of his 7th year w/o going to the Dance?
So "homework" now consists of hiring a recruit's dad as an assistant? WOW!
All coaches should now do such "homework". Especially if they cant make the Dance.

There's a younger brother who will commit, too. So Romar, even with them likely to leave after a year or two if they're really good, is getting a lot of bang for this buck.

Word down here is that another highly sought after recruit, Tre Young (iirc), has Udub in his top 6. Reason? He and Porter were aau teammates.

Young attends Norman North hs. Apparently his faves right now are Dook, kantuckey, kanzazz, the land thieves, okie lite, and udub.

Anybody else think "5 forces" when this thread pops up?

So, not only has Michael gone to Missouri but it looks like his younger bro is reclassifying as a 2017 recruit to join him (and dad, the new assistant coach) this season.

So, not only has Michael gone to Missouri but it looks like his younger bro is reclassifying as a 2017 recruit to join him (and dad, the new assistant coach) this season.

Smart. Get in there, hit it hard and get out before it goes to ****.

Jontay is supposed to be close with EJ Liddell, who was the top soph in Illinois last year and already considered the best player on the Bradley Beal Elite team who went to the semis of the peach jam and has 3 or 4 juniors and seniors who are top 100 players. Liddell is 6'7" and growing.

Back