What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mid Season Running Backs Discussion

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
Figure it's time to assess the RB rotation (we could rehash the QBs, but I think that's been done).

My Thoughts:
1. Lindsay has been the warrior, and a productive warrior at that. He's good. He's a leader (or at least vocal). He talks **** to the other team (I like that). He throws awesome crack back blocks. He's a competent pass blocker. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He needs to start. FEED HIM.

2. Pow is no longer pow. There is no Pow! (tm) anymore. He runs like a shell of his former self. (I hate saying this). He avoids head on contact, not by shimmying to the side and falling forward, but by letting the other guy hit him and drive him back. He's not doing well in pass pro (gave up a bad sack last week). He's still slow. He's dropping balls. He needs to become a spot player instead of a guy getting lots of snaps, imo. It was criminal that he got a bunch of snaps after Lindsay came in and dominated for a drive. Pow is hurting the offense. Dammit.

3. Carr has potential, play him.

4. Donovan lee also can do things. Play him.

5. When healthy, Adkins needs to play as well.

Conclusion: more PL, Carr, and DL, no more Pow. Thoughts?

Biggest issue I see is a lack of commitment to the running game.

Moar Lindsay and Carr. Lee in the backfield and the slot. Dude has serious speed. A Piercy Harvin type of role imo.

Reactions: aik
Agree that Lindsey and Carr should get carries over Powell. IMHO, Adkins is still the most effective runner when healthy.

I'd like to see more of Lee. I remember his high school coach responding to a question about what position he plays. The response..."his position is ball haver". Awesome.

Completely agree with Darth and Nik. We need Lindsay and Carr getting pretty much all of the carries. Once Adkins is healthy, get him in some as well. Powell is as done as our starting QB. We have a decent run game, yet we rarely use it. Frustrating

I think all of the RBs can be effective. I like Powell out of the backfield catching passes.

Agree with all of you.

Adkins is our most talented back but simply can't stay healthy enough to count on. When he comes back can use him for spot duty but no confidence you will have him from game to game.

Rotation should be Lindsay with Carr getting the majority of the back-up time. If you aren't going to play Carr you never should have pulled the redshirt in the first place.

Powell has taken to many hits. Lindgren for some reason insist that all his backs run all the plays. Powell never has been able to run the wide plays that require lateral movement with a foot plant and go. Every time we run it the result is a wasted play.

Put me in the camp of Lindsay as RB1 with Carr spelling him as RB2 and Lee being a wildcard who can line up at RB and motion out to an empty (or vice versa).

What I am enjoying on this team is guys that play hard. I'd say those three that you list would be a good rotation.

Lindsey had a productive spell last night, and then sat for a long time. Anybody know why he was out?

Lindsey had a productive spell last night, and then sat for a long time. Anybody know why he was out?
Mike has said in the past that he rotates backs to keep their legs fresh. I've always believed that you have a featured back and once in a while give him a break. I like the idea of rotating players if you have depth in a certain area, but a lot of running backs need carries to get in a rhythm. They may be rotating backs at certain times, regardless of effectiveness.

Wondered the same thing. He was chewing up some decent yardage when he was in at the beginning of the game. Then he was gone. It was weird.

Figure it's time to assess the RB rotation (we could rehash the QBs, but I think that's been done).

My Thoughts:
1. Lindsay has been the warrior, and a productive warrior at that. He's good. He's a leader (or at least vocal). He talks **** to the other team (I like that). He throws awesome crack back blocks. He's a competent pass blocker. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He needs to start. FEED HIM.

2. Pow is no longer pow. There is no Pow! (tm) anymore. He runs like a shell of his former self. (I hate saying this). He avoids head on contact, not by shimmying to the side and falling forward, but by letting the other guy hit him and drive him back. He's not doing well in pass pro (gave up a bad sack last week). He's still slow. He's dropping balls. He needs to become a spot player instead of a guy getting lots of snaps, imo. It was criminal that he got a bunch of snaps after Lindsay came in and dominated for a drive. Pow is hurting the offense. Dammit.

I said this before the season and got blasted. Powell has been hesitant to the hole since his first injury.

My Thoughts:

And stop with the constant rotating. We get a guy going, and then he sits the next series. I hate it. I hate everything about this offense right now. The routes, the substitutions, the play calling, the fact that our QB looks one way and then bails on the play. I can't stand it. Hard to believe we took a big step back from last year with everyone back and some new contributors

And stop with the constant rotating. We get a guy going, and then he sits the next series. I hate it. I hate everything about this offense right now. The routes, the substitutions, the play calling, the fact that our QB looks one way and then bails on the play. I can't stand it. Hard to believe we took a big step back from last year with everyone back and some new contributors

Bolded = Truth.

Lindgren mixed it up last year. Used the plays to keep the D off balance and it worked. He has gotten very conservative this year. His substitutions at RB have frustrated me for a long time.

Take out Lindsay, put in Powell, run a sweep. Take out Powell, sub in Lee, run it up the gut. WTF.

Bolded = Truth.

Lindgren mixed it up last year. Used the plays to keep the D off balance and it worked. He has gotten very conservative this year. His substitutions at RB have frustrated me for a long time.

Take out Lindsay, put in Powell, run a sweep. Take out Powell, sub in Lee, run it up the gut. WTF.

Almost reminds me of the Hawkins days when they had no real plan. Looks like they have an idea what they want to do during the week. They then throw that out the first series and just start throwing things against a wall hoping they will stick.

The play calling doesn't match the personell in the game when they call it and it seems like the have no clue about setting plays up with other plays. When something works they abandon it (forget it) and things that don't work they keep coming back to. Aaaargh!!!

I thought Lindsay should of started day one. I know he's not big but plays much bigger than he is. He's the type you hate playing against cause you know he's gonna bring it.

CP needs to be either fullback or short yardage back.
Lindsay and Adkins are both solid, as is Lee.

Go for speed and why not setup with two back in the back field on occassion?

Lindsay is a stud. Lee was a GREAT RB in HS and has elusive skills as a RB. The RB by committee approach has been painful to watch. Lindsay should be the everydown RB. If he needs a blow or for a change of pace, insert D. Lee. That's it. If one of them goes down, the 3rd string back may get some carries, be it Carr or others. This head coach is so attached to Sefo and his inaccuracy, he is lost on the fact that Lindsay is a game changer and gives the Buffs their best opportunity for positive and big runs consistently. Lindsay also possesses good hands on screen passes as does D. Lee. Coaching 101!

Back