What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MIKE BOHN: Buffnation deserves a better coach than Logan or Calhoun

CU hiring Calhoun means they don't care about winning. What in the world makes a coach who runs a very specific system at a very non-standard school with very mediocre results qualified to coach in the Pac-10?

This hire has Dan Hawkins mk. 2 written all over it.

If we hire him, we will still suck. CU could do 50 times better with Mac or EB.

CU hiring Calhoun means they don't care about winning. What in the world makes a coach who runs a very specific system at a very non-standard school with very mediocre results qualified to coach in the Pac-10?

This hire has Dan Hawkins mk. 2 written all over it.

If we hire him, we will still suck. CU could do 50 times better with Mac or EB.

So a guy who is winning over 60% of his games as a HC at the college level isn't qualified to coach in the Pac-10, but somebody who has never been a coordinator, let alone a HC is?? Interesting....

I will take a guy who is highly likely to be an outstanding recruiter with a demonstrated passion for the program over a guy who has very little experience doing traditional recruiting. Having a 60% winning record in the MWC isn't that impressive to me, even considering Air Force's limitations.

This will be a very, very mediocre hire any way you choose to spin it. CU needs to make a big splash.

"Over 60%" :lol: He coaches in a minor conference.

AFA has high academic standards, and unlike most schools, no "easy" majors. And football players don't get a free pass.

Perhaps you've forgotten a little rape scandal at the AFA? No players involved, but it's not impossible for cadets to get into trouble.

I was watching the aTm/Baylor game for a while earlier. They were talking about the aTm MLB being an AFA transfer. Last week against Army, one of the Army players was a former AFA cadet. In fact, plenty of cadets decide after the first couple years that Academy life isn't for them.

And while Calhoun may not have to play any BCS teams (I guess your Sooners dropped down to FCS?) they have faced a top 5 BCS team each of the last two years. CU has not.

Most games, AFA is at a size/athletic advantage against anybody they play. That's not recruiting, that's the nature of the beast at the academy. Kids who want to play in the NFL aren't going to give you the time of day in recruiting. Kids who don't meet the academic standards don't get in. But yeah, what could be hard about that???

Aren't the Pac-12 teams going to be more athletic and smaller than the typical Big 12 team? Aren't AFA's players able to play faster than their opponents and execute? Just ask yourself, would Air Force be a better fit in the Pac-12 than the Big 12?

You AllBuffers...have you actually bothered to read Calhoun's Wikipedia page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Calhoun

Calhoun was born and raised in Oregon. Yes that is someone who GREW UP on the west coast! Doesn't that count for something?

Calhoun was the Wake Forest OC in 2001 and guys, I followed ACC football when I went to school in Washington DC...his offenses led the ACC in his second year there in 2002. That was under Jim Grobe and Jim Grobe's name came up for the Nebraska job before Bo got the job. Do you Buff fans truly understand how good of a coach Grobe is? The moment I saw that Calhoun coached with Grobe made Calhoun my new front runner for the CU job.

Do you Buff fans truly understand the kind of work that Jim Grobe did at Wake Forest and the fact that Troy Calhoun coached under him before going to the AFA? That is a good coaching tree that is growing. This isn't much different from the job that Barnett did at Northwestern.

Time to re-think saying no to Calhoun being the next CU coach.

I'm far more impressed with what Hoke has done at SDSU and what Golden has done at Temple. I don't hate Calhoun and will definitely support him if Bohn interviews a boatload of people and decides he is the best man for the job, but I just don't think he will be all that great here. What sticks out to me is his inability to get a signature win in his time at Air Force and the unknown recruiting ability. We also don't really know what kind of assistants he would be able to bring in since he hasn't spent much time at big time programs.

I will take a guy who is highly likely to be an outstanding recruiter with a demonstrated passion for the program over a guy who has very little experience doing traditional recruiting. Having a 60% winning record in the MWC isn't that impressive to me, even considering Air Force's limitations.

This will be a very, very mediocre hire any way you choose to spin it. CU needs to make a big splash.

"Over 60%" :lol: He coaches in a minor conference.

At least he's a head coach. I'm sorry, but you won't convince me somebody who has never even been a coordinator is qualified to be a HC in a BCS conference, but a guy who has been going up against Top 10 teams like TCU and Utah for the last 4 years isn't...

I'm far more impressed with what Hoke has done at SDSU and what Golden has done at Temple. I don't hate Calhoun and will definitely support him if Bohn interviews a boatload of people and decides he is the best man for the job, but I just don't think he will be all that great here. What sticks out to me is his inability to get a signature win in his time at Air Force and the unknown recruiting ability. We also don't really know what kind of assistants he would be able to bring in since he hasn't spent much time at big time programs.

Not spending much time at big programs? Chip Kelly, the UO coach, came from FCS New Hampshire before he became the OC in Eugene. Does this truly matter as much in the Pac-12 as it does in the Big 12?

At least he's a head coach. I'm sorry, but you won't convince me somebody who has never even been a coordinator is qualified to be a HC in a BCS conference, but a guy who has been going up against Top 10 teams like TCU and Utah for the last 4 years isn't...

Calhoun was OC for Wake Forest for a few years in the ACC and the ACC is a BCS conference that is the east coast version of the Pac-10.

Not spending much time at big programs? Chip Kelly, the UO coach, came from FCS New Hampshire before he became the OC in Eugene. Does this truly matter as much in the Pac-12 as it does in the Big 12?

So one guy? I'll counter that with our last guy who didn't spend any time at big time programs:

DanHawkinsCHS.jpg

he worked various positions with the Broncos and then was the OC with the Texans until the AFA job opened up.

And I'll counter with

jim-tressel-nc.jpg

I see your Tressel and raise you a:

1981-1982: Syracuse QB coach
1983: Ohio State QB/WR coach
1984-1985: Ohio State QB/RB/WR coach

Not the most experience around, but it's some at least. Calhoun has like 3 years at Wake Forest. Tressel 3 years at Ohio State + 2 more at Syracuse. Advantage: Tressel imo.

I'm pretty sure Kubiak called the plays in Houston. Troy was pretty much the QB coach.

I think this is true. He has looked fairly innovative on offense at AFA, though. Not sure it's a look that translates to the Pac-12, but it's been pretty effective with what he's working with there.

Junction,

That was some good stuff you came up with and it blows up the idea that you have to have coaching exeprience at similar BCS schools to be successful at the BCS level.

Tressel was hired away from Youngstown State where he won four national championships at the now FCS level. Not much difference from hiring Hawkins away from Boise State where they were pretty successful at the time.

Speaking of Calhoun, AFA only got blown out once this year and that was by TCU. The Falcons turned the ball over five times in a close loss at Utah. Their close loss to San Diego State was because the Aztecs ran the ball very well on an undersized AFA defense and Calhoun won't have that problem at CU. AFA could have easily been 10-1 at this point instead of 7-4. That is much closer to 10 wins than Hawkins ever could get CU to.

I see your Tressel and raise you a:

1981-1982: Syracuse QB coach
1983: Ohio State QB/WR coach
1984-1985: Ohio State QB/RB/WR coach

Not the most experience around, but it's some at least. Calhoun has like 3 years at Wake Forest. Tressel 3 years at Ohio State + 2 more at Syracuse. Advantage: Tressel imo.

Calhoun had NFL experience. Tressel had over a decade in Youngstown, OH.

Advantage Calhoun.... :smile2:

Junction,

Their close loss to San Diego State was because the Aztecs ran the ball very well on an undersized AFA defense and Calhoun won't have that problem at CU. .

Really? When has our defense not been undersized in the past 10 years?

Tressel was hired away from Youngstown State where he won four national championships at the now FCS level. Not much difference from hiring Hawkins away from Boise State where they were pretty successful at the time.

Speaking of Calhoun, AFA only got blown out once this year and that was by TCU. The Falcons turned the ball over five times in a close loss at Utah. Their close loss to San Diego State was because the Aztecs ran the ball very well on an undersized AFA defense and Calhoun won't have that problem at CU. AFA could have easily been 10-1 at this point instead of 7-4. That is much closer to 10 wins than Hawkins ever could get CU to.

1. Jim Tressel was an assistant at BCS conference schools for five years before his stint at Youngstown State. Slightly different than Hawkins' career path.

2. We tried the whole moral victory thingy under Hawkins and that did not work out. Not sure we should be pimping a guy's moral victories before he even gets the job.

3. Does Calhoun at HC plus Leach at OC = championship?

1. Jim Tressel was an assistant at BCS conference schools for five years before his stint at Youngstown State. Slightly different than Hawkins' career path.

2. We tried the whole moral victory thingy under Hawkins and that did not work out. Not sure we should be pimping a guy's moral victories before he even gets the job.

3. You are my favorite poster.
Hey! I thought I was your favorite poster? :lol:

Calhoun had NFL experience. Tressel had over a decade in Youngstown, OH.

Advantage Calhoun.... :smile2:

Ok lets say Tressel has similar experience to Calhoun, is there anyone else that has been successful on the big stage that didn't have quite a bit more experience at big time BCS schools? Wake Forest, not really counting. As amazing a coach as Jim Grobe and his 2-8 record this season are, I'd rather see a few years at some of the bigger BCS schools.

Name/Coord Exp(BCS or NFL)/HC Exp(BCS or NFL)/Total coord + hc exp prior to being hired in the PAC(BCS or NFL)

Stoops 5(5) 10(10) 5(5)
Tedford 9(4) 9(9) 9(4)
Kelly 11(2) 2(2) 11(2)
Erickson 5(0) 22(18) 23(14)
Riley 8(3) 17(12) 17(7)
Harbaugh 0(0) 6(3) 3(0)
Ellen 1(1) 10(10) 8(8)
Kiffin 6(6) 5(5) 10(10)
Sarkisian 2(2) 2(2) 2(2)
Wulff 2(0) 11(3) 10(0)
Calhoun 10(4) 4(0) *14(4)

*if the Buffs hired him

He has 4 yrs more combined coordinator/HC experience than the average PAC coach did before getting their current gig. Not my first choice either. I'd rather have Mac or Miles or Belotti or a current coordinator from a top 10 program. But he has the kind of resume that would get him an interview for a BCS gig pretty much anywhere outside of traditional top-15 schools. Much deeper resume than Sarkisian, Harbaugh, or Gill for example.

Consistently winning 8-9 games a year at a service academy is not mediocre. His winning % at AF is better than Al Golden at Temple or Brady Hoke at SDSU. I think the reactions to him on this board are partly a kneejerk from superficial similarities to hawk. That and maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

Experience is relative - Ron Collins has 5 years of coordinator experience at a BCS school, is he qualified?

Junction,

That was some good stuff you came up with and it blows up the idea that you have to have coaching exeprience at similar BCS schools to be successful at the BCS level.

1. Not true, we were only 10 plays away from a mNC last year.

2. Re-read that paragraph and tell me it isn't the worst sales pitch you've ever heard...only got blown out once?? could have beaten utah if it weren't for 5 turnovers??? You should be his agent.

I'm beginning to think Nashbuff and I are simply not going to see eye to eye on who is a good prospective coach. Can we not start the new coach off with a list of excuses? 10-1? Are you kidding me? The Oklahoma score was close, the game really wasn't all that close if I recall correctly. TCU plowed them over like I'd plow Rachel McAdams. SDSU and Utah were close, but they got ran on and only turned it over 5 times? Well ****, back to cleaning up the little things.

Junction,

Calhoun plays in the ****ing MWC for crying out loud.

If you can't win at least 7 wins in the MWC you should go back to ****ing Jr. High.

Back