What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn Hit a Home Run With Coach Boyle

Johnny Juzang

Club Member
Club Member
Mr. Bohn has taken some heat for some of his hires, so giving credit where it's due. Tad Boyle has his team playing at a very high level, and I get the impression that there is nothing flukish about it. In addition, Coach Boyle really wants to be the basketball coach at the University of Colorado. Congrats to Mr Bohn and to Coach Boyle.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Tad is doing great, but this is all Bzz's players. Let's see how Boyle does after a year or two.

Remember, even Patton made the Tourney a couple of times.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Tad is doing great, but this is all Bzz's players. Let's see how Boyle does after a year or two.

Exactly what I was thinking, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Very few felt this way a month ago so let's see how the rest of the season plays out and if we make the tournament and have any success if and when we get there. Granted, the bar is pretty low when it comes to grading CU basketball so making the tournament this year would be a big success, but can we make the Big Dance at about a 50% clip over a multi-year span. And if that happens, then at some point a Sweet 16 appearance has to be thrown in there, that can really put a program on the map.

because of one player.

i see this as a much different team than any of RP's teams. im no BB expert. i will watch CU BBall when i can. what i saw today was totally different than what i have seen when CU has upset teams over the years.

1. not the only win sammiched between multipule losses on either end. yes, the back end of this streak is yet to be defined. this is new ground for CU round ball.

2. i have never seen this team play like they know they can win. today, when push came to shove, i felt confident that the kids would make the plays needed to win.

3. this team is not built around one player like it was with CB. that kid was so freaking good, CU could get away with it for two years and an appearance in the NCAA dance. this team is making a run for the dance without their two best players playing thier best game in a game on the road that they won. finally.

4. if CB had never played at CU, no way in hell RP takes any of his teams to the dance. CB was that special of a player. right now, we have a TEAM that may just be good enough to make it.

yep. Bzz got the kids here. Tad is riding the wave and is doing a hell of a job so far. our hope is that he can continue to bring in just as good or better caliber players and coach them up into a contender. CU needs that. time will tell whether he can. all we can do is wait and see.

that being said... there is one thing, and one thing only that made RP. that was CB.

doubt me? how good was RP in the years without CB?

Last edited by a moderator:
because of one player.

i see this as a much different team than any of RP's teams. im no BB expert. i will watch CU BBall when i can. what i saw today was totally different than what i have seen when CU has upset teams over the years.

1. not the only win sammiched between multipule losses on either end. yes, the back end of this streak is yet to be defined. this is new ground for CU round ball.

2. i have never seen this team play like they know they can win. today, when push came to shove, i felt confident that the kids would make the playes needed to win.

3. this team is not built around one player like it was with CP. that kid was so freaking good, CU could get away with it for two years and an appearance in the NCAA dance. this team is making a run for the dance without their two best players playing thier best game in a game on the road that they won. finally.

4. if CP had never played at CU, no way in hell RP takes any of his teams to the dance. CP was that special of a player. right now, we have a TEAM that may just be good enough to make it.

yep. Bzz got the kids here. Tad is riding the wave and is doing a hell of a job so far. our hope is that he can continue to bring in just as good or better caliber players and coach them up into a contender. CU needs that. time will tell whether he can. all we can do is wait and see.

that being said... there is one thing, and one thing only that made RP. that was CP.

doubt me? how good was RP in the years without CP?

CP? Chauncey Billups? Sorry - i'm not a big bball guy and I don't recognize that acronym.

Besides that - I agree with the rest of your post. Team looks awesome. But I'm not ready to anoint Tad until we are competitive for 2 - 3 seasons, including at least one without Alec Burkes.

Patton took the Buffs to the tourney with Robey and Harrison when I was in school.

4. if CB had never played at CU, no way in hell RP takes any of his teams to the dance. CB was that special of a player. right now, we have a TEAM that may just be good enough to make it.

so If Billups doesn't play for Cu in the 90s, Cu doesn't get into the dance in the 2000's?

CP? Chauncey Billups? Sorry - i'm not a big bball guy and I don't recognize that acronym.

Besides that - I agree with the rest of your post. Team looks awesome. But I'm not ready to anoint Tad until we are competitive for 2 - 3 seasons, including at least one without Alec Burkes.

Patton took the Buffs to the tourney with Robey and Harrison when I was in school.

yeah. i got ahead of myself. i corrected the CP to CB. sorry about that. my fault.

now, the only time i can remember CU in the Dance was the year with CB when they beat Indiana with BK as the IU coach. are you saying they went without CB? i just dont remember that. :confused:

Yes they went to the tourney one other year, trying to remember here but it was around 2002 when they had David Harrison, Blair Wilson, and Michel Morandais. It was one and done - forget who they lost to (Mich St maybe?)

Patton recruited some really talented players here but he just wasn't good enough at strategy or player development to turn the corner at CU. Stephon Pelle, Tyron Manlove, Richard Roby among many others.

Yes they went to the tourney one other year, trying to remember here but it was around 2002 when they had David Harrison, Blair Wilson, and Michel Morandais. It was one and done - forget who they lost to (Mich St maybe?)

Patton recruited some really talented players here but he just wasn't good enough at strategy or player development to turn the corner at CU. Stephon Pelle, Tyron Manlove, Richard Roby among many others.

i stand corrected then.

still. never seen a CU BBall team play this well this consistantly. coaching has something to do with it.

and i could see the crowd on the TV and it looked very impressive. :thumbsup:

Yes we lost to Michigan State in the first round, and I think we lost badly.

EDIT: In 2003 we lost 79-64 to a Michigan State team that reached the Elite Eight. We were a 10-seed that year.

Last edited:
Okay it was indeed the 2002-03 season. We lost to Mich State in the first round, 79-64. Finished the season 20-12. That was the first time we had beaten 2 ranked teams in the same year.

After the Billups years, that was the next "zenith" under Patton. After that team, none over-achieved, or even achieved.

because of one player.

2. i have never seen this team play like they know they can win. today, when push came to shove, i felt confident that the kids would make the plays needed to win.

3. this team is not built around one player like it was with CB. that kid was so freaking good, CU could get away with it for two years and an appearance in the NCAA dance. this team is making a run for the dance without their two best players playing thier best game in a game on the road that they won. finally.

that being said... there is one thing, and one thing only that made RP. that was CB.

doubt me? how good was RP in the years without CB?

you got the principle right. RP had some good years without CB. Harrison etc. He needed talent, and couldn't coach um up. So far, I think Tad is showing that he can coach um up pretty well. I like some of the talent he has recruited so far... lets see if he can bring in enough to take us to the next level consistently.

Yep - Beat KU and UT at home that year. I was at both games. It was awesome.

Anyway. Don't get me wrong. I love Boyle and what he has done. But let's let the guy get a few seasons under his belt and see how he does.

you got the principle right. RP had some good years without CB. Harrison etc. He needed talent, and couldn't coach um up. So far, I think Tad is showing that he can coach um up pretty well. I like some of the talent he has recruited so far... lets see if he can bring in enough to take us to the next level consistently.

who do you like beside Roberson? everyone else that has played the last 3 games has been a BZ recruit.

who do you like beside Roberson? everyone else that has played the last 3 games has been a BZ recruit.

Mills, he isnt quite ready for the show, but in a year or two, I bet you that guy will be a great player.

Brown, He is a redshirt this year, but he is the real deal, go watch his Utah highlights, he should be very exciting to watch

Cain, Dinwiddle, Booker, still in high school, but they are ranked as pretty good players to be coming in. Much better than we have typically been able to draw to Boulder

This doesn't strike me as a fluke team. Sure, the talent on the court is Bz recruited, but I think the difference is the Boyle leadership. Boyle has the team focused on the defensive end, unlike any CU team in recent memory. The confidence and grit this team shows is special. I know momentum in any sport is important, and particularly in college, but this is more than a lucky streak.

It will be interestng to see how the team handles adveresity, like a loss at NU or OU... hopefully not both.

I know the measure of his coaching success will be performance in the coming years. But you can't grade him on the games he hasn't coached, so right now I call Boyle a GREAT selection. If the proof is in the pudding, I will have more of what he is serving.

In the past, CU would have lost these last three games. They would have folded. It would have been another in a long line of "Gee, we *almost* won that game, too bad". That's the story of CU basketball. Always coming up just short. Boyle has these players finishing strong.

In the past, CU would have lost these last three games. They would have folded. It would have been another in a long line of "Gee, we *almost* won that game, too bad". That's the story of CU basketball. Always coming up just short. Boyle has these players finishing strong.

Agree, we would have lost all three and talked about what could have been. This team is now believing in themselves and I get the feeling they are starting to believe that they will make the plays necessary. Much different than hoping you can make the plays.

I was behind the Boyle hire and I brought his name up in coachin searching threads, but I do think this thread is a bit premature. I think Boyle will prove to be a very good hire, but I am not ready to give him the saviour label midway through his first season.

I was behind the Boyle hire and I brought his name up in coachin searching threads, but I do think this thread is a bit premature. I think Boyle will prove to be a very good hire, but I am not ready to give him the saviour label midway through his first season.

"Savior" is a subjective term. While I agree that it's premature to start building a monument to the guy and grant him a lifetime contract, even I can see the difference he's made in this team - and I don't watch a lot of basketball.

Of the three guys who were finalists, I think we'd be hard pressed to be doing better with McClain or Dunlap at this juncture. Bohn made the right choice.

I was pissed he only looked within the state for a hire. It is a nice start so far, but he has a long way to go.

I was pissed he only looked within the state for a hire. It is a nice start so far, but he has a long way to go.

Why do I think Boyle is the kind of guy that would agree with the bolded comment above... and the kind of guy willing to do something about it?

"Savior" is a subjective term. While I agree that it's premature to start building a monument to the guy and grant him a lifetime contract, even I can see the difference he's made in this team - and I don't watch a lot of basketball.

:stupid:

this is what i was trying to get at. the only BBall i watch is CU. i can tell a marked difference in the way this team plays compared to what i have seen over the last few decades.

not to imply that this is some sweet 16 team or something but, its a team to watch. its a team that can make some waves. and its a team that can put some asses in the seats in the faom dome that will help the AD. that is what we need.

if Tad can continue to build.... then we have another revenue producing program in boulder and that will be a huge benefit to the AD at the UofC. that is what i want. put 11k in that place per game.... make a revenue loss sport into a gainer? that is a huge, huge step forward for the entire AD.

im not a big BBall fan. however, i really want to see the CU BBall team do well. i will watch them when i can. i actually grew up going to games. my parents had season tickets when i was a kid. shoot... back in the apke era... or whatever his name was.... plus those before him and after.

anyway... turn the program into a winner and you have a revenue producing program. they are no longer dead weight on the AD. that is what we need. especially in the move to the PAC12.

Of the three guys who were finalists, I think we'd be hard pressed to be doing better with McClain or Dunlap at this juncture. Bohn made the right choice.

Boyle is doing a very good job and I agree that Bohn made the right choice out of the three candidates.

But the OP in this thread goes a bit beyond those assertions.

:stupid:

this is what i was trying to get at. the only BBall i watch is CU. i can tell a marked difference in the way this team plays compared to what i have seen over the last few decades.

not to imply that this is some sweet 16 team or something but, its a team to watch. its a team that can make some waves. and its a team that can put some asses in the seats in the keg that will help the AD. that is what we need.

if Tad can continue to build.... then we have another revenue producing program in boulder and that will be a huge benefit to the AD at the UofC. that is what i want. put 11k in that place per game.... make a revenue loss sport into a gainer? that is a huge, huge step forward for the entire AD.

im not a big BBall fan. however, i really want to see the CU BBall team do well. i will watch them when i can. i actually grew up going to games. my parents had season tickets when i was a kid. shoot... back in the apke era... or whatever his name was.... plus those before him and after.

anyway... turn the program into a winner and you have a revenue producing program. they are no longer dead weight on the AD. that is what we need. especially in the move to the PAC12.

fify. and the mens bball program does make money. just not a lot. its the womens program that s a dead weight.

Boyle is doing a great job, but these next few weeks should be interesting. Home run is a term no coach should get at CU.

Tom Apke! preceded by Bill Blair and succeeded by Tom "Mister Excitement" Miller.

Furk, On such a good day we do not need to be reminded of the utter lack of quality coaching we had in Boulder for so long. I was around for Apke and Miller. Uggggg, they were horrible. We hopefully will not visit those days again.

Back