What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn Hit a Home Run With Coach Boyle

Furk, On such a good day we do not need to be reminded of the utter lack of quality coaching we had in Boulder for so long. I was around for Apke and Miller. Uggggg, they were horrible. We hopefully will not visit those days again.

Hey, Tom Miller took his last team to the Big 8 championship game. :smile2:

i don't think Tom Miller was an awful coach, he was just completely out of synch with the Big 8. Everyone else (Norm, Tubbs, Johnny Orr, Larry Brown...this is also the Westhead era Loyola MMount) were all going up tempo, fast breaking, scoring 100 points a game....while Tom's guys were trying to score 60 a game with a lot of two handed bounce passes.

Of course, then we go to the other end of the spectrum with Crazy Joe (who I thought was going to succeed for a time).

This doesn't strike me as a fluke team. Sure, the talent on the court is Bz recruited, but I think the difference is the Boyle leadership. Boyle has the team focused on the defensive end, unlike any CU team in recent memory. The confidence and grit this team shows is special. I know momentum in any sport is important, and particularly in college, but this is more than a lucky streak.

It will be interestng to see how the team handles adveresity, like a loss at NU or OU... hopefully not both.

I know the measure of his coaching success will be performance in the coming years. But you can't grade him on the games he hasn't coached, so right now I call Boyle a GREAT selection. If the proof is in the pudding, I will have more of what he is serving.

I fully agree with this. Yes, he's working with great talent that he inherited, but he's melded them into a superb TEAM. Something coach Buzz wasn't entirely able to do last year. I'm very impressed by how coach Boyle has this team playing together.

We still do need to see if the team can sustain the momentum, can come back from a tough loss, can deal with an injury or two, etc. At the same time we are seeing a team play at a level unknown to CU basketball fans. Yes we had some talented individuals who carried us at times in the past. Chauncey was almost a one-man team, David Harrison and teammates could dominate when the inspiration moved them, etc. but we haven't seen a team of Buffs play like a team the way this one does combining talents to win.

Yes Roberson is the only recruit of Boyle's who is making major contributions but I am looking at a bunch of guys who are playing significantly better ball than they did under Buzz and the team is playing way better than it did under Ricardo. You can't know until they actually play but Roberson is a player, Mills has shown flashes, and the three California kids are guys that a lot of other teams would have happily taken. Boyle found quality players for UNC, he should be able to continue to bring talent to Boulder.

From the looks of things we have a coach who can bring in talented players, improve them, and get the most out of them. That usually is a recipe for success. It could still all go south quickly but it is looking more and more like thats not happening soon.

If a coach can recruit,

At any rate, I'm thrilled with what coach Boyle has done. It's very easy to lose the previous coach's players when you walk into a new job. Coach Boyle was able to convince Alec Burks' family that it was best to stick around, then make the most of Alec's talent. He's blended the players he inherited seamlessly into a wiinning team. As far as I'm concerned, that's harder than makimng your own recruits into a winning unit. He's just an outstanding coach, and a guy who wants to be at the University of Colorado. I'm very happy that he's here.

Boyle coaches them to be tough, to rebound and defend with determination. I think Bz gave lip service to rebounding and defense, Boyle makes it his emphasis. That is the difference between the two. Both have had their successes, but in the long run Boyle's style will produce better results.

I'm not much of a Bball person either, so I'll do an analogy that's more near and dear to my heart. There was a time, not that long ago, when the Denver Broncos had a new coach that some people were skeptical about.
They had an absolutely terrific start to their first year.
Could not be beaten, turned a TERRIBLE defense into a terrific defense even though nobody really knew how.
Everybody was loving everything, then the bottom fell out. Teams adjusted to the new systems he was implementing and he went on to be abysmal.

Now, I love the way this team is playing. I LOVE that we won a game in a sold out CEC. I think this team is playing really well now. There seems to be a lot of individual development which is leading to great team play. With all that said, let's hold off saying we have the best coach west of the Mississippi. Just my .02

I've got as big of a TadCrush as anyone. I find myself dreaming of Boyle being our Lute Olsen and announcers talking about the "Miracle in the Mountains" as we make another trip to the Final Four.

But realistically, it's just the middle of a long season. And it's just the first season.

It's a fun time, though.

I'm no basketball maven, but you all know I am a great judge of coaching! So, that being said, watching Tad Boyle on the sideline, he is cool, calm, and collected. He never panics. I think the team feeds off of it. Bzz always seemed greatly pained and frantic. Boyle is calm. He knows when to call time outs. He doesn't scream and yell at the players. When Dufault picked up a quick 4th foul in the second half, Tad pulled him, put his hand on his shoulder, and coached him up.

All that being said, there are a ton of land mines on the road ahead. Oh, and one other thing. Those two guys, and you guys probably know their names, 31 and 33 I think, where MONGO. They were frigging huge. Early on, we had no answer. Those guys manhandled us. But we kept takeing at 'em and finally fouled them both out. I credit coaching for that.

We still do need to see if the team can sustain the momentum, can come back from a tough loss, can deal with an injury or two, etc. At the same time we are seeing a team play at a level unknown to CU basketball fans. Yes we had some talented individuals who carried us at times in the past. Chauncey was almost a one-man team, David Harrison and teammates could dominate when the inspiration moved them, etc. but we haven't seen a team of Buffs play like a team the way this one does combining talents to win.

Yes Roberson is the only recruit of Boyle's who is making major contributions but I am looking at a bunch of guys who are playing significantly better ball than they did under Buzz and the team is playing way better than it did under Ricardo. You can't know until they actually play but Roberson is a player, Mills has shown flashes, and the three California kids are guys that a lot of other teams would have happily taken. Boyle found quality players for UNC, he should be able to continue to bring talent to Boulder.

From the looks of things we have a coach who can bring in talented players, improve them, and get the most out of them. That usually is a recipe for success. It could still all go south quickly but it is looking more and more like thats not happening soon.

If a coach can recruit,

Did you nod off while writing this post?

I don't post here much but I have to say, I'm impressed by the thoughts on this thread. A few quick thoughts.

I'm really impressed by the way Boyle is able to get these smart seniors to take over when they need to, AND how he's able to get other guys to fill a role, namely Roberson. He's doing a fantastic job, and I was a big skeptic of Bohn's version of a coaching search.

Mild criticism - he needs to pull the reins in on Burks at times. Sometimes we need Alec to to it himself, sometimes not. I don't think that's sunk in yet, but it's a work in progress.

Worth noting - Knutsen was a Patton recruiting recruit, I believe, and Higgins was a big surprise courtesy of the NBA. I don't think we can count on players that smart wearing CU uniforms every year, but give Boyle credit - he's making the most of them.

I'm in the camp (from the above posts) that so far things look EXTREMELY promising under Boyle but let's see how things go when we have injuries, players have personal problems, etc. Right now we're giddy but it won't always be this way. Tad needs to keep bringing effective scholarship players in the door. Bzdelik didn't always do that, and sorry but I'll never forgive the guy for his arrogance in thinking any player he recruited was super but anyone else's recruit was rubbish.

Fun times for CU BBall, but let's take it one at a time.

Go Buffs!

I don't post here much but I have to say, I'm impressed by the thoughts on this thread. A few quick thoughts.

I'm really impressed by the way Boyle is able to get these smart seniors to take over when they need to, AND how he's able to get other guys to fill a role, namely Roberson. He's doing a fantastic job, and I was a big skeptic of Bohn's version of a coaching search.

Mild criticism - he needs to pull the reins in on Burks at times. Sometimes we need Alec to to it himself, sometimes not. I don't think that's sunk in yet, but it's a work in progress.

Worth noting - Knutsen was a Patton recruiting recruit, I believe, and Higgins was a big surprise courtesy of the NBA. I don't think we can count on players that smart wearing CU uniforms every year, but give Boyle credit - he's making the most of them.

I'm in the camp (from the above posts) that so far things look EXTREMELY promising under Boyle but let's see how things go when we have injuries, players have personal problems, etc. Right now we're giddy but it won't always be this way. Tad needs to keep bringing effective scholarship players in the door. Bzdelik didn't always do that, and sorry but I'll never forgive the guy for his arrogance in thinking any player he recruited was super but anyone else's recruit was rubbish.

Fun times for CU BBall, but let's take it one at a time.

Go Buffs!

good to see you again welcome back

As the season started, and we heard the talk of up-tempo, I was skeptical, thinking it would equal no defense and 30 shots a nights for AB. But one simple stat is selling me on Boyle-rebounding. We've out-rebounded all three of our b12 opponents.

Not to bash Bz, but I think every shortfall the Buffs had last year was attributed to rebounding or lack of height in the post. I heard Bz say that in a number of radio interviews. In hindsight, it was a self-fulfilling prophesy. Maybe it's the emphasis on a m to m defense, or even height advantage in the backcourt, but the same kids + Roberson are killing it on the boards. Against Mizzou, I told myself it was just a matchup of styles that was favorable to us. But the last two games have been just good old want to. +1 to Boyle.

Safe to say, now?

I think we're definitely moving into the "safe" zone. :smile2:

Who's your Taddy?!?!
blog_tad_01112011.jpg

I was pissed he only looked within the state for a hire. It is a nice start so far, but he has a long way to go.

look what this idot said ^^^^^^

it is always fun to look what you wrote in the past.

Back