What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

You can't convince me Rick George is qualified to be an AD with an emphasis in football based on his resume. He's not. This would be a total leap of faith to assume he can do this job.

1. He was Vandy's Assc. AD of External Operations 15 years ago
2. He was CU's Assc. AD of football operations 22 years ago

Not only were his FB experiences a minimum of 15 years ago, they were both at associate level positions. You think this guy is qualified to take over as AD? How so?

You know that an Associate AD is basically one step below the AD, he wasn't making copies and picking up dry cleaning. I realize he's been away from college athletics for a while, but he's been a sports executive for over 30 years and based on his career trajectory, it's probably safe to assume he would have had plenty of opportunities for AD jobs long ago if he had stayed in collegiate athletics.

Rick George's bio states he played football at the University of Illinois in the 80s, then was their recruiting coordinator for four years before coming to CU to be an AAD for football during the mid Bill McCartney years. After working as associate AD for Vandy he went into golf and baseball, but I would argue his foundation in sports was as a football guy. Now he's just well-rounded which never hurts.

Enough with looking back at the McCartney years! We need to look FORWARD!

Ringolsby's a Wyoming guy. Meaning he grew up there. Once you are from Wyoming, you aren't from anywhere else. Use any positive or negative metaphor you want but it sticks to you like sandburs and cow manure.

Are you saying George is from Wyoming?

Mike Bohn replacment rumor thread

If only we could find a guy who had AD experience at a few schools. Maybe had some connections to the area. That would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You know that an Associate AD is basically one step below the AD, he wasn't making copies and picking up dry cleaning. I realize he's been away from college athletics for a while, but he's been a sports executive for over 30 years and based on his career trajectory, it's probably safe to assume he would have had plenty of opportunities for AD jobs long ago if he had stayed in collegiate athletics.

That's an automatic disqualification from me, unless he's coming from a successful NFL front office. If I'm the hiring manager, I can't accept a resume that lists relevant experience occurred 15 years ago.

We just went through 7 years of football hell, and we finally have an opportunity to get it right, and we should roll the dice on this guy?

Nik, I disagree, I think an NFL GM type would work better than a Larry Scott Jr. for us right now.

Hire a football guy. Bohn was a KU alum, and we shouldn't have been surprised he did great for our bball program. We need football to bounce back - so CU should hire a proven football exec. Not someone from the Texas Rangers with experience from the PGA Tour. WTF! Please tell me we're joking with Rick F'ing George!

:lol: Bohn played football at Kansas dude. Just an FYI.

Someone who has:

1-10. Recent FB exec success - this cannot be undermined or talked around. It's the #1-10 success criteria for me.
11. Obviously good experience organizing fundraising efforts
12. Good retention record - someone who keeps good hires

As for names, AD positions have a deep floor of candidates that would not be apparent to the casual fan. I wouldn't expect people to know all the names and potential hires for a position like this.

AD is NOT a FB position that's what the HC and his Director of FB Ops are for, Tool!!! Last thing an AD needs is excessive FB experience.
Co-No. 1's on my list are: Overall business ops, including vision and leadership and fund-raising; #3 marketing; #4 people skills(politician)....and coming in at #107 FB specific experience; as was said above, the AD is not running an NFL franchsie.

What is a "football" AD going to do? He can't hire his own guy since we let Bohn do that 6 months ago. His main priority is going to be the facilities and raising money. Does an NFL GM type guy even have experience doing that?

That's an automatic disqualification from me, unless he's coming from a successful NFL front office. If I'm the hiring manager, I can't accept a resume that lists relevant experience occurred 15 years ago.

We just went through 7 years of football hell, and we finally have an opportunity to get it right, and we should roll the dice on this guy?

Nik, I disagree, I think an NFL GM type would work better than a Larry Scott Jr. for us right now.

The job of NFL GM is completely different than an AD's job description so I have no idea what you're getting at. Fundraising, sponsorships, ticket sales, facilities, alumni outreach, PR...an NFL GM doesn't deal with any of that.

What is a "football" AD going to do? He can't hire his own guy since we let Bohn do that 6 months ago. His main priority is going to be the facilities and raising money. Does an NFL GM type guy even have experience doing that?

An NFL or FB exec knows what a successful program looks like.

1. Facilities
2. Donations/Season Ticket renewals
3. Gameday experience
4. FB personel (on and off the field) management
5. Scheduling/Media negotiations

Yes, an NFL GM or successful college exec would know to run these 5 items above. And that's what we need. Even with MM in the fold, our HC needs an experienced AD who can take our program into these areas without trepidation and with a solid background to draw on.

The job of NFL GM is completely different than an AD's job description so I have no idea what you're getting at. Fundraising, sponsorships, ticket sales, facilities, alumni outreach, PR...an NFL GM doesn't deal with any of that.

:nod:

Plus scheduling, budgeting, NCAA compliance, and local media rights.

NFL GMs manage a football roster under a salary cap.

An NFL or FB exec knows what a successful program looks like.

1. Facilities
2. Donations/Season Ticket renewals
3. Gameday experience
4. FB personel (on and off the field) management
5. Scheduling/Media negotiations

Yes, an NFL GM or successful college exec would know to run these 5 items above. And that's what we need. Even with MM in the fold, our HC needs an experienced AD who can take our program into these areas without trepidation and with a solid background to draw on.

Facilities, Donations, Scheduling??? What the hell would an NFL exec know about these?? And they're arguably 3 of the most important parts of the job.

Michigan's current AD formerly ran a pizza company. That said being the AD at Michigan does not have the same challenges as CU. Ideally I'd like a proven AD. Top of my list would probably be to bring Tom Jurich back to the front range. He's had success with both Louisville's b-ball and football programs, has built tremendous facilities there, and has family ties to the area and liked living here. Louisville is probably willing to pay what it will take to keep him though.

Show of hands if you think a NFL GM doesn't know or understand football operations.

I know, but he could have fooled me with our bball success. Something about being going to KU must make you bball savant.

No it doesn't. Has nothing to do with him being a KU alum. Basketball was low hanging fruit that CU never thought to support. Before Bohn got here coaches offices were at folsom, players trained at Dal Ward, they had to use high school gyms for practices at times because they had to share court time with the women's hoops/volleyball, or they were holding exams, or a million other ****ing things other than what the CEC was originally built for. All the improvements in men's and women's basketball, and women's volleyball, were just common sense improvements that needed to happen the day the original planners of the CEC chose not to include them.

No it doesn't. Has nothing to do with him being a KU alum. Basketball was low hanging fruit that CU never thought to support. Before Bohn got here coaches offices were at folsom, players trained at Dal Ward, they had to use high school gyms for practices at times because they had to share court time with the women's hoops/volleyball, or they were holding exams, or a million other ****ing things other than what the CEC was originally built for. All the improvements in men's and women's basketball, and women's volleyball, were just common sense improvements that needed to happen the day the original planners of the CEC chose not to include them.

As much as I dislike KU, our head coach went to KU, and the guy who hired him went to KU. I'm not connecting far reaching dots by stating those experiences helped shape our current success. If you think it's mostly facilities related, then that's up to you.

Show of hands if you think a NFL GM doesn't know or understand football operations.

There would be a learning curve for the NCAA stuff, but he would certainly be in many meetings with each of the people in charge of PR, marketing, tickets, concessions, merchandising, facilities management, etc. But his involvement in those things would be peripheral.

Do you want an AD or a bigger hitter with more autonomy as CU's Director of Football Operations?

Enough with looking back at the McCartney years! We need to look FORWARD!

Yes lets please move on from B-mac guys and find the person who can get the job done. Look for the university to find a person who is on the cheap also.

We have to have an NFL GM to run the athletic department since NFL experience converts so well, after all look how former NFL coaches dominate the college game!

Gold I'm not sure you understand the job of an AD so this discussion may be pointless. Football Operations is one small aspect of an AD's job and he has an Associate AD to oversee that.

I drive a Ram pickup everyday, but I'm not qualified to design or build one.

Show of hands if you think an NFL GM has any clue how to carry out a massive fundraising campaign.

There would be a learning curve for the NCAA stuff, but he would certainly be in many meetings with each of the people in charge of PR, marketing, tickets, concessions, merchandising, facilities management, etc. But his involvement in those things would be peripheral.

Do you want an AD or a bigger hitter with more autonomy as CU's Director of Football Operations?

That's a good answer because a director of football operations reports to the NFL GM, not the other way around. The GM knows what a football operations director knows + how to build a winner.

Yes lets please move on from B-mac guys and find the person who can get the job done. Look for the university to find a person who is on the cheap also.
Just like they did with MacIntyre and his staff....oh wait...

Gold I'm not sure you understand the job of an AD so this discussion may be pointless. Football Operations is one small aspect of an AD's job and he has an Associate AD to oversee that.

I drive a Ram pickup everyday, but I'm not qualified to design or build one.

Show of hands if you think an NFL GM has any clue how to carry out a massive fundraising campaign.

I don't think you're getting it. The guy you want REPORTS to the guy I want. Sorry, but I would rather have the chief than the indian. I trust a GM to hire a good fundraising/season ticket renewal guy. He doesn't have to be the organizer of it.

That's a good answer because a director of football operations reports to the NFL GM, not the other way around. The GM knows what a football operations director knows + how to build a winner.

"How to build a winner" in terms of managing the head coach, football ops guy, & director of scouting/personnel... so that the GM can do well in the draft, free agency & player retention. You don't do those things in college sports. And for the things in college that are roughly parallel, it's not the AD who does them.

As much as I dislike KU, our head coach went to KU, and the guy who hired him went to KU. I'm not connecting far reaching dots by stating those experiences helped shape our current success. If you think it's mostly facilities related, then that's up to you.

Do you really think Boyle would have come here without the facilities upgrades? A good coach is a good coach no matter where he comes from, and none of them wanted to touch CU until facilities were upgraded.

I don't think you're getting it. The guy you want REPORTS to the guy I want. Sorry, but I would rather have the chief than the indian. I trust a GM to hire a good fundraising/season ticket renewal guy. He doesn't have to be the organizer of it.

You're wrong, the AD has to be a GREAT fundraiser. Building an NFL team is drastically different than building a successful collegiate athletic department.

Do you really think Boyle would have come here without the facilities upgrades? A good coach is a good coach no matter where he comes from, and none of them wanted to touch CU until facilities were upgraded.

:nod:

Any good head coach will look first to see that a job comes with the facilities, recruiting budget, staff budget & academic/admissions support needed to compete and win. No coach worth his salt is taking a job that ties one hand behind his back and could derail his career through no fault of his own.

Bohn was at the bottom of the pac-12 in pay for ad's wasn't he?.
Yes, and so was Embree. Now MacIntyre's pay is above average for the Pac 12 and the assistant salaries are one of the highest in the conference. I expect the same to happen with the new AD.

Back