What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

actually, didn't Bohn play Baseball at KU? Isn't that the reason he went to KU instead of CU, that we'd just eliminated the baseball program?

Anyways, we don't need a Football guy, or a Basketball guy, or a Dodgeball guy. We need a Business guy. The coach will take care of football(or not), we need a guy to get the game-day experience at folsom where it needs to be, the fundraising where it needs to be, the ticket office where it needs to be, etc. I'm not sure how being a "football guy" is supposed to take precedence over what a Rick George would bring to the table. The Texas Rangers either have a properly run ticket office or they don't. The luxury boxes are sold out at Arlington or they aren't. Rick George knows how to close with the kind of guys that we need to pay for new facilities or he doesn't. I'm not sure what sport Rick George played at Illinois has to do with what we need the new AD to do.

I think the new coach can do the job with the football team, but regardless, as long as the business side of the AD is screwed up then hiring a winning football coach will be difficult and keeping a winning coach will be almost impossible.

You're wrong, the AD has to be a GREAT fundraiser. Building an NFL team is drastically different than building a successful collegiate athletic department.

^^This, completely^^

In the NFL everything is judged by the immediate results on the field. Players are disposable and revenue is mostly based on league media revenues. The only variable revenues are based on some local media but mostly ticket sales, all completely dependant on on field product. Players and to an extent coaches are mostly disposable assetts.

College athletics is a whole other issue. You don't get to draft players, you have to recuit them with coaching staff, facilities, and other factors that involve longer term plans. Ticket revenue is more important but is more dependant on long term relations with alums and other fans. A huge part of the revenue equation is large donations from major supporters, something completely foreign to NFL GM's. Many of these result from relationships cultivated over many years.

NFL GMs also don't have to deal with an academic side of the house, they don't have to deal with NCAA regulations, they don't have to think about academic progress. They also have a much easier standard to deal with in terms of athletes conduct. Imagine a CU AD having to deal with the DUI's, domestic violence charges, etc. that NFL teams bury in PR.

A guy who knows management and fund raising and can do it within the Boulder environment. An understanding of football is important but it needs to be an understanding of college football and that is not the most important thing they need to know.

I don't think you're getting it. The guy you want REPORTS to the guy I want. Sorry, but I would rather have the chief than the indian. I trust a GM to hire a good fundraising/season ticket renewal guy. He doesn't have to be the organizer of it.

Gold, think about it another way; successful college coaches get NFL jobs all the time, right? Now tell me ONE successful college AD that parlayed that success into an NFL GM job. Can't think of one? That's because it doesn't happen - the jobs are completely different.

I am shocked at the "we don't need a football guy" angle. This is 7 years of talking about how Bohn didn't get football, and now that we have a shot at getting our football program the front office experience it needs, we're passing on that. Since I do not believe we will ever get an NFL GM, we can drop that.

Answer these questions if you will:

Most important AD resume qualification?
Gold: Demonstrated success as a recent football executive, preferably as an AD from a successful FB program

Why did you pick that one?
Gold: After 7 years of failed FB, CU is not in a position to roll the dice and take a chance on an unqualified candidate. Recent experience is necessary because of the quick changing FB landscape.

What top 3 things do the AD have to do day-to-day to achieve success?
Gold: (1) Work side by side with the right coaching and recruiting staff (2) understand what resources a successful program needs (i.e., facilities) to achieve success on and off the field (3) how to put out a consumer facing product that generates fan interest and donations (fundraising, marketing)

Should the AD play a role in personnel and be more hands on in FB, or a business type?
Gold: Bohn's lack of FB knowledge is why he was fired. That resulted in 7 years of losing, and stalled donations. So yes, the right AD knows how to build winning teams first and foremost. They should have input in personnel for on-and-off the field decisions. Lack of control on the FB program was the previous AD's downfall, not their lack of business savvy as noted by the P12 merger and subsequent revenue boost from the conference switch.

Last edited:
Are you saying George is from Wyoming?

I see your point. You expect me to actually read an entire post before giving my sacred opinion, Junction? Strike my comment, but I still like the sand-burs and cow manure thing so go ahead and quote me there.

I want a leader who is a great fundraiser. I want the entire fundraising system redesigned to be transparent and focus on including everyone possible (much higher participation rates rates are essential). I want an ambassador for CU athletics that will demand what is necessary. Should be easy to find. :thumbsup:

You basically want the AD as another assistant coach, Gold. You seriously want the AD making recruiting and personnel decisions? That has disaster written all over it.

I am shocked at the "we don't need a football guy" angle. This is 7 years of talking about how Bohn didn't get football, and now that we have a shot at getting our football program the front office experience it needs, we're passing on that. Since I do not believe we will ever get an NFL GM, we can drop that.

Gold: Demonstrated success as a recent football executive, preferably as an AD from a successful FB program

Gold: After 7 years of failed FB, CU is not in a position to roll the dice and take a chance on an unqualified candidate. Recent experience is necessary because of the quick changing FB landscape.

Gold: (1) Work side by side with the right coaching and recruiting staff (2) understand what resources a successful program needs (i.e., facilities) to achieve success on and off the field (3) how to put out a consumer facing product that generates fan interest and donations (fundraising, marketing)

Should the AD play a role in personnel and be more hands on in FB, or a business type?
Gold: Bohn's lack of FB knowledge is why he was fired. That resulted in 7 years of losing, and stalled donations. So yes, the right AD knows how to build winning teams first and foremost. They should have input in personnel for on-and-off the field decisions. Lack of control on the FB program was the previous AD's downfall, not their lack of business savvy as noted by the P12 merger and subsequent revenue boost from the conference switch.

If the new AD can't get boosters to open their checkbooks and pay for new facilities that the football program will need to be competitive going forward, he won't be successful, regardless if he's a football guy or not. What don't you understand about that?

You basically want the AD as another assistant coach, Gold. You seriously want the AD making recruiting and personnel decisions? That has disaster written all over it.

I think a lot of us are still traumatized by Bohn's lack of FB experience. There are ADs out there who can work with admissions and get in the right players for our program. There are Gordon Gee's out there we can hire. Think more along those lines.

Gold, I think where you're losing most people is in the drastic difference between:

A Football Guy = NFL GM
A Football Guy = Someone who has run an athletic department with a successful football program

Most of us would agree that the latter would be a good candidate, but the former would not necessarily have the skills to be an effective AD.

Gold, no offence man, but your way off the mark here.

Maybe, I'd admit it if it turns out that way. But think of it like this, does the AD at places like Ohio State, Florida and Alabama not do everything possible to make FB the priority? That means paving the way for better admissions, recruiting, player development, and working (and leading) with the FB staff to get that done. If FB is our bread and butter, our AD should be a stellar FB exec with experience who can execute that. Fundraising is one feather in that cap. It's a much bigger job than fundraiser.

Gold, I think where you're losing most people is in the drastic difference between:

A Football Guy = NFL GM
A Football Guy = Someone who has run an athletic department with a successful football program

Most of us would agree that the latter would be a good candidate, but the former would not necessarily have the skills to be an effective AD.

I'm over the NFL GM type. I don't think we'd get that. But the latter, yes, that needs to be our focus. It's exactly what we didn't have with our last AD.

CU might finally bring a baseball program back to campus.

We had 50" of snow in Boulder in March, April, and May (1st). AD's would get mad pretty quickly after flying 30 guys out and have them spend their weekend in a hotel room watching snow melt.

Admissions are not an issue, outside of JUCO transfers.

Read this article on Gee and how he does help with recruiting:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Ohio-State/2012/08/01/Ohio-State-s-Gee-whiz-in-recruiting.html

Like I said, our recent knowledge of what an AD can do for our FB program was limited to hiring and firing a FB coach, BB coach, and fundraising. It can be so much more than that. I don't want us to think small on this next hire. Bohn was small time. We out grew him. Let's set the bar higher.

Read this article on Gee and how he does help with recruiting:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Ohio-State/2012/08/01/Ohio-State-s-Gee-whiz-in-recruiting.html

Like I said, our recent knowledge of what an AD can do for our FB program was limited to hiring and firing a FB coach, BB coach, and fundraising. It can be so much more than that. I don't want us to think small on this next hire. Bohn was small time. We out grew him. Let's set the bar higher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gee the university president as opposed to the AD. I would imagine the president might be in a better position to affect changes re: admitting students. I'd also be surprised if Gee was considered by many to be a "football guy." He seems like more of a businessman who understands that a successful football program is good for business.

So basically you want a lapdog as president? Good luck.

I'm more optimistic than you. He fired Bohn and wants a better AD. If that means giving more constitutional control to the AD to make it happen, perhaps he's willing to bargain on that.

All I am saying Gold is that Ohio State is not a model for CU. We certainly need to improve the AD, but looking to Ohio State as the guide is pretty silly.

I'm more optimistic than you. He fired Bohn and wants a better AD. If that means giving more constitutional control to the AD to make it happen, perhaps he's willing to bargain on that.

Or perhaps he doesn't want to give up any authority and that was one of the disputes with Bohn that lead to his firing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gee the university president as opposed to the AD. I would imagine the president might be in a better position to affect changes re: admitting students. I'd also be surprised if Gee was considered by many to be a "football guy." He seems like more of a businessman who understands that a successful football program is good for business.

I wouldn't consider Benson a football guy. But this firing was a very football friendly move. If you have a football friendly president with an experience FB AD, that's as good as a combo as one could hope for.

Some thoughts on all of the above.....Junction, you're right about the Nolan Ryan thing---but thats got more to do with Jon Daniels (their GM) and what hes done than what Nolan hasn't done. As a Ranger fan, I hope Nolan stays with the team, but I think he'll retire or go work with his kid in Houston, and Jon Daniels will be the Grand Poo-bah of all things baseball down there......which could have Rick George looking for another job. With this search in general, I think Gold is off. This person needs to be able to raise money like nobody's business.....given that they won't have any coaching changes to make anytime soon. The two names I've seen (George and Tom Bowen) would be fine with me. Let's not go off the deep end with somebody like Ceal Barry, or McCartney (heaven forbid after his comments after the Embree firing).

Or perhaps he doesn't want to give up any authority and that was one of the disputes with Bohn that lead to his firing.

If Benson goes in the opposite direction and hires a lapdog AD then we're screwed. I don't want to think like that, it's too depressing.

No donor will pony up cash to a clueless AD. He needs to have a proven FB background before checks are written. Our donors aren't looking to be woo'd by hot air. They need to trust FB is in good hands. That is not happening unless an expert is brought in.

Junction: Demonstrated success managing an NCAA athletic department, with strong preference given to managing an AD with a successful football program.

Junction: Because this job is, first and foremost, managing a collegiate athletic department. Which lives and dies on fundraising. Which must work within the framework of the NCAA. Which wins and loses based on player personnel decisions made by the coaching staff, and by their ability to recruit the players they want and need. Not based upon player acquisitions made by the AD himself. And which, like it or not, involves more sports than simply football, creating a maze of conflicting priorities and demands for resources that the AD must manage.

Junction: (1) Work with donors and University administration to procure the resources needed to compete at the highest levels. (2) Locate and bring into the program the right coaches to identify the elements needed to succeed in each sport - players, facilities being primary) (3) Work with coaches to design optimal facilities needed to succeed in each sport, work with donors and administration to see those plans through to reality

Junction: There is no evidence of Bohn's lack of FB knowledge being the reason he was fired. His lack of football success no doubt was a factor. Which indicates his lack of knowledge of how to run a college football program successfully at CU. His fatal failure probably ended up being my #1 above - interacting with donors. That kept him from producing facilities upgrades the football program needs (a need he has clearly identified and talked about frequently). He also failed at #2 - identifying the proper football coach - at least once. He made the obvious choice based on national sentiment, and that of most fans. He got one of the most sought after coaches in America. And it was a disaster. That's the decision an AD needs to make. But beyond that, there was a second even more disastrous FB hire under his watch, one that by almost all accounts he was not in favor of. That came from a failure on his part to deal with administration and donors on a level that could have led to a different outcome. Those are parts of the job of a college AD that are unique among sports executives. And none of them include being an expert in the nuts and bolts of football itself. They revolve around being able to work with the people who are, and the people who have the resources those people need. The AD is the facilitator for the people who are experts in football, or basketball, or whatever sport we're talking about.

I think a lot of us are still traumatized by Bohn's lack of FB experience. There are ADs out there who can work with admissions and get in the right players for our program. There are Gordon Gee's out there we can hire. Think more along those lines.

You know Gordon Gee was the University President, not an AD, right?

And all of us are traumatized by Bohn's lack of football SUCCESS. That is not the same thing as a lack of FB experience, no matter what your opinion may be...

I may be in the minority, but I could give a **** about previous AD experience. Bohn has established a strong base. This base will take care of compliance, day-to-day operations, basic budgeting. The Pac-12 essentially deals with media rights now. Scheduling is at least partially done by the coaches.

I want someone that can inspire, push a vision, fundraise, and deal with boosters. (and maybe butt heads with the admin)

Back