What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn stepping in it by allowing coaches to "fine"players?

bohn on blast:

Ouch. I'd never blamed Bohn for the problems at CU. My thought was always that he was in that position because he was exactly the type of guy that Bruce and Phil wanted in that job. I've come around to a belief that while true that he was taking marching orders after being hamstrung & had an arm tied behind his back, he was also incompetent within what he was allowed to do.

Any cred he gained from taking students to support the team in LA & ABQ was lost when he scheduled a home and home with the fuskers.

Our fans should not have to visit the land that God forgot, and boulder shouldn't have to endure another onslaught of the inhuman red hoard.

Any cred he gained from taking students to support the team in LA & ABQ was lost when he scheduled a home and home with the fuskers.

Our fans should not have to visit the land that God forgot, and boulder shouldn't have to endure another onslaught of the inhuman red hoard.
I'm kind of looking forward to that series.

Bohn was a horrendous scheduler but this series is the exception

I think its a great recruiting tool. Moms and dads will love the idea of having to send their kids extra money if they get disciplined. After all, parents want their kids to be disciplined.

lots to blast Bohn about, but the nubs series was up there with his greatest accomplishments. (yikes)

It's interesting to see how attitudes towards Bohn have changed after a couple of years with R. George. I thought AD Bohn was okay and did the right things when he started out. But, looking back in comparison to what's been accomplished in the last year or so, it's a stark contrast.

He cancelled that out with the Kansas tix debacle.

You mean where the kids had to go to the Womens game to qualify? I thought that was George, the game was December of 2013 and George was hired in August of that year.

You mean where the kids had to go to the Womens game to qualify? I thought that was George, the game was December of 2013 and George was hired in August of that year.

Yes, that was what I was referring to. Hard to believe RG has been here that long. Apologies to the Bohner.

The issue with Bohn is it is hard to judge his true performance IF he was truly hamstrung by his superiors who seemed to have a blind eye to football at that time (basketball improvements came much cheaper). But, it does seem like on the fundraising/budget front he fell way short.

The issue with Bohn is it is hard to judge his true performance IF he was truly hamstrung by his superiors who seemed to have a blind eye to football at that time (basketball improvements came much cheaper). But, it does seem like on the fundraising/budget front he fell way short.

It always appeared to me that he was good at marketing and getting people in seats but that was about it. Not good at hiring football coaches, raising money, financial planning, building relationships across the campus etc.

Bohn was the right guy at the right time for the CU AD. He was not the right guy to take us to the next level, though. That much is obvious. It's easy for people to forget the absolute dumpster fire this department was when he got here. He stabilized the department and set the table for RG to move it forward. I don't think he has the skills to do what RG did, but I don't think we ever get RG back in 2005.

Bohn was the right guy at the right time for the CU AD. He was not the right guy to take us to the next level, though. That much is obvious. It's easy for people to forget the absolute dumpster fire this department was when he got here. He stabilized the department and set the table for RG to move it forward. I don't think he has the skills to do what RG did, but I don't think we ever get RG back in 2005.

Disagree. All the supposed "good" he did in other areas is a fraction of the damage he caused by being allowed to hire 2 horrible football coaches, fire them both and hire another one (I like MM and I will give Bohn credit for his hire if/when he gets this thing fully turned around). Football is the life blood of every big time AD, and he failed miserably in that department (yes, I understand he isn't solely to blame). Because of the damage done to the football program, he drove the CU brand into the freaking ground.

I agree that the football program went into the tank under his leadership. He owns that regardless of who his superiors were and what they did. However, he wasn't hired to resurrect the football program. He was hired to run a clean, scandal free athletic department. He was successful in doing so. We needed him to do what he did in order to get to a place where we could hire RG to do what he is doing.

Fair enough. I guess it's just hard to separate those two different objectives as a Buffs football fan. God, our leadership's mentality was such dog**** a decade ago.

He was probably the right guy early-on just like Hawkins looked like the right guy for 3 seasons. Mike was always really accommodating to me and gave me a ton of access for what I was contributing. He also had a huge win with the pac-12 move. That move alone probably gets him the right to hire Embree, otherwise I'd argue he should have been sent packing when Hawkins was (in hind sight).

He certainly SHOULD have been let go when Jon was regardless of is that was his hire or not. I think Mike is a guy who would be really good in a development and assistant AD role at a very big school. Have him focus on donors and sports that need developing and let the business of the AD, any negotiation and recruiting be done by some one with the chops to really do it.

I think the next AD will really tell us something, Mike looks worse in retrospect because of the job RG is doing now. the question is was Mike average to slightly above and RG a 1% performer, or is RG above average and Bohn well below?

MB was a steady hand. He was marginally competent, ran a clean ship, balanced out the budget and ruffled few feathers. The downside was when he goofed, he did so in a huge way. Continuing the goat series, the scheduling snafus (playing holy Toledo after about 20 minutes rest etc.) really made it even more difficult for CU to perform well at FB. How much of that was imposed on him by financial constraints and Dr. Phil? Who knows, I am just glad RG is the new sheriff in town. MB, at the end of the day, was a windsock. Not a bad guy, but probably not cut out to be the man. As other have said, I imagine he would be lights out as an Asst. AD.

MB was also a stand-up guy. He never refused an interview or appearance opportunity. He was the face of the CU athletic department and he never passed up the opportunity to talk about it. Contrast to Dick Tharp, his predecessor, who hid under a rock during the entire "scandal".

MB was also a stand-up guy. He never refused an interview or appearance opportunity. He was the face of the CU athletic department and he never passed up the opportunity to talk about it. Contrast to Dick Tharp, his predecessor, who hid under a rock during the entire "scandal".
no disagreeement there

Back