What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn vows changes are coming

I do agree with that ^ Embree really fails at motivation for his players and assistant coaches

Why isn't Bohn held to the same standard?

Bohn should've been fired the minute his premature extension to Dan Hawkins backfired. That was an amateur move. Our cash strapped athletic department had no outs until Hawkins' 5th year. Even then, we owed him a sizeable bit of money. That single mistake was the reason we retained Hawkins for a 5th year. Bohn should've paid for that mistake years ago.

But, let's be honest, there is a reason Bohn is still here. There is a reason Hawkins was here for 5 years. There's a reason Embree will be here for 1 to 2 more years. There is no accountability in this program or in this school. I hope people are prepared for another meltdown when insignificant changes are announced to the coaching staff in mid-December. When's the coaching convention? Expect some changes after Brown and Scherer have a chance to find other opportunities.

Bieniemy is going nowhere. They may bring on a passing game coordinator to help him out, but that'll only be if Rip takes a job elsewhere to save face. We won't be willing to foot the $250,000 bill to fire Bieniemy if he refuses to take a demotion. Unless Greg Brown finds a NFL job somewhere, I also don't see him going anywhere.

Keep this in mind: These guys were Embree's top choices less than 2 years ago. These two are guys he's worked with for years. Much like Hawkins, I'm sure he still has confidence in his coaches' abilities. He may be saying all the right things to Bohn to retain his job, but there is no one in this athletic department that will force Embree's hand.

I speak like this has already happened, but these are just my expectations. I fully expect minimal changes to be made. We sat here 3 years ago talking as if Hawk was already fired. It took almost another 12 months for it to happen. And despite threats to cancel season tickets, to stop donating and to write letters to the administration every day, we all sat here and took it. It may be worse this time around, but no one at CU gives a **** about their fans. We don't have the money or we're not willing to find the money to fire another coach or to pay a legit coach what he deserves. It's politics at this point and Benson doesn't want to deal with this mess.

Our best shot is to be patient and hope we hit a Boyle-like homerun with the football team. These types of coaches are found every single year. Hopefully we find that type of coach this next time.

I do agree with CUwhit21 - the offseason coaching changes are going to be insignificant.

I suspect Marshall and Brown will be let go. Some of the other coaches may find other jobs in other places. I am hopeful that Cabral will be able to find a nice program somewhere that will take him on.

I am pretty certain the offseason coaching changes will be significant. I am not at all confident the changes will be for the better.

The coaching staff will look much different come spring ball and the message will be about 2013 being a transition year and that 2014 will be when everything "clicks".

I am pretty certain the offseason coaching changes will be significant. I am not at all confident the changes will be for the better.

The coaching staff will look much different come spring ball and the message will be about 2013 being a transition year and that 2014 will be when everything "clicks".

Sincere question. Outside of replacing Embree, which I gather is your preference, what would be changes for the better. Let's say we make a move at the OC and DC positions, who would you think constitutes a "good" change?

Sincere question. Outside of replacing Embree, which I gather is your preference, what would be changes for the better. Let's say we make a move at the OC and DC positions, who would you think constitutes a "good" change?

I really do not know. I guess several years of experience as a coordinator would be an upgrade.

All he is doing is expressing his feelings and thoughs about the program, what he thinks is best for it, just like the rest of us. Difference is, people listen to him. God I wish he was the head coach, there in the locker room motivating the kids, and the final guy in the house with Mom and Dad closing the great talent. We would be so much better.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
FIB is a wise one..listen to him.

Yep, get rid of Embree in '12 or it will be a wait til '14

I really don't believe that forcing a coach to change his assistants will accomplish anything. It is just delaying the inevitable. A head coach who is on top of the situation knows when he has to make a change - he does not need someone to come in and tell him. The head coach sets the tone and the culture of the football program, if those above him start doing that he is just an empty suit.

Many successful coaches have assistants come and go all the time and they remain successful. Mac had a lot of turnover of assistants. Alabama lost their OC and still are successful. I could name many more but problem is not at the assistant level.

The problem with the CUAD is that he has already allowed himself to become an empty suit. There is no one that will stand up and make tough decisions and take the arrows. That is why I am so baffled with Mike Bohn's free pass...he set the tone for the AD which is one of never taking a stand on anything because it may be unpopular.

I find the Bohn announcement insulting to fans - he has been mostly invisible this season and now that the horde is at the gate he runs out and makes a big pronouncement!!! Get Real.

This is just a weird situation all around. Embree was allowed a chance to pick his coordinators and now will potentially replace both of them after two seasons. Not to mention his fingerprints are on this offense (he says he has been working on that side of the ball).

I believe it is SINKRATZ that keeps making the point I agree with most: if Embree brings in replacement coordinators that most everyone would call upgrades, what happens to Embree's role? It seems pretty bizarre when you think about in a big picture context.

Yep, get rid of Embree in '12 or it will be a wait til '14

I think we are past the point of no return...or will be after 3 more horrific blowouts, 2 of which will be in front of a Folsom crowd that consists of crickets chirping. Embree has lost the fanbase. If Embree had a prevous record of succes, such as Hawkins for instance, then replacing some assistants could be feasible. He doesn't have that record, nor does he have anything to point to as an indicator of progress.

Any change HAS to include the HC. Who would come as OC or DC only to know they are going to be likely cut loose in one or two years when the inevitable happens? But in typical CU fashion, there will be some AC shuffling, and Bohn will declare a new day in Boulder, and that "we really want to win" and stand by and watch the death spiral continue, clad in a CU colored tie and proclaiming "Go Buffs" to the 15 blue hairs still showing up on the West Side of Folsom.

This is just a weird situation all around. Embree was allowed a chance to pick his coordinators and now will potentially replace both of them after two seasons. Not to mention his fingerprints are on this offense (he says he has been working on that side of the ball).

I believe it is SINKRATZ that keeps making the point I agree with most: if Embree brings in replacement coordinators that most everyone would call upgrades, what happens to Embree's role? It seems pretty bizarre when you think about in a big picture context.

I think it is just clear that Embo and his staff don't have a mind for football at the tactical level. They don't know how to scheme or adjust. And it is clear they don't recognize those qualities when evaluating other coaches.

The talent at CU isn't so bad that we should be getting blown out week in and week out.

If you pay them good money, plenty of coaches would be willing to gamble on short-term employment. They are assistant coaches after all. The bigger question is how the new coordinators and Embree would co-exist.

I really don't believe that forcing a coach to change his assistants will accomplish anything. It is just delaying the inevitable. A head coach who is on top of the situation knows when he has to make a change - he does not need someone to come in and tell him. The head coach sets the tone and the culture of the football program, if those above him start doing that he is just an empty suit.

Many successful coaches have assistants come and go all the time and they remain successful. Mac had a lot of turnover of assistants. Alabama lost their OC and still are successful. I could name many more but problem is not at the assistant level.

The problem with the CUAD is that he has already allowed himself to become an empty suit. There is no one that will stand up and make tough decisions and take the arrows. That is why I am so baffled with Mike Bohn's free pass...he set the tone for the AD which is one of never taking a stand on anything because it may be unpopular.

I find the Bohn announcement insulting to fans - he has been mostly invisible this season and now that the horde is at the gate he runs out and makes a big pronouncement!!! Get Real.

Mike Bohn gets plenty of heat, but do you recall Dick Tharp ever "taking a stand" on anything? Especially anything that might be unpopular? How about Bill Marolt? (If I recall, Marolt hired/fired FOUR (4) CU basketball coaches. Apke, Miller, Harrington and Ricardo Patton.)

Mike Bohn gets plenty of heat, but do you recall Dick Tharp ever "taking a stand" on anything? Especially anything that might be unpopular? How about Bill Marolt? (If I recall, Marolt hired/fired FOUR (4) CU basketball coaches. Apke, Miller, Harrington and Ricardo Patton.)

Tharp took on building the expansion of the Club Seats and Luxury Boxes at Folsom which he took tons of heat for - He put together a long range plan for the CU athletic department. The models that Bohn trots out today for the Folsom expansion were left over from Tharp's vision 2010.

Marolt took over at a pretty bad time for CU - when he left CU had won a football National championship, built the Dal Ward Center, and added three sports. His extending McCartney after a 1-10 season in was met with much criticism as were the plans for the new Dal Ward Center. Marolt did not hire Apke.

I do not see demotions in the future. I see a few coaches hitching their wagons up and leaving to save faith for themselves- Rip,Brown,Tui and possibly Marshall. I really do not see EB stepping down, he might leave on a mutual agreement...but all said and done Embree needs to go. BTW I don't see Cabral taking the reins "again" while they hire anther staff.

On bringing in new coordinators, there has been some discussion that it would be too risky for anyone of significant talent to come here with JE on the hot seat. Think of it this way: How hard would it be to show improvement in 2013 over this year? That's a resume builder!

Keep Embree....

...until someone new can replace him.

Its spiteful how the stewards of CU's athletic traditions would allow the boosters to pick a bargain basement head coach and then leave the boosters to sleep in the bed that CU let them make.

All this speculation is fun. Do we do it because we think anyone important will listen? Do we do it in case our "suggestion" comes true and we look smart? Whatever. I think its funny.

The solution to this problem does not exist. Its economics. There is no one in the decision tree willing to fork over the bucks needed to turn this mess around. Our only hope is that Benson retires and we get lucky enough to replace him with someone with a vision. What are the odds of that happening? Less than 10%.

All this speculation is fun. Do we do it because we think anyone important will listen? Do we do it in case our "suggestion" comes true and we look smart? Whatever. I think its funny.

The solution to this problem does not exist. Its economics. There is no one in the decision tree willing to fork over the bucks needed to turn this mess around. Our only hope is that Benson retires and we get lucky enough to replace him with someone with a vision. What are the odds of that happening? Less than 10%.

There is donor money on the sidelines. It's a trust issue as much as an economics issue.

How many people would be pumped if Benson and DiStephano stepped out of their political comfort zone and said...

"Dear Buffnation. We recognize our neglect and take responsibility for the state of the program.

The football program is like a high profile front porch. If the porch is inviting, more people will want to step inside and take a peek at our Nobel prizes.

I swear on my mother's grave that I will do everything in my power to restore CU football back to the prestige that was enjoyed in the 1990s.

I need your help. Please visit the CU Flagship 2030 website to see the plan that Mike Bohn has put together and that we are 100 percent behind. To realize this plan, we have set up a pledge site that will track our progress.

We need to raise $50M from boosters over the next 10 years for this to be viable. Make your pledge and be a part of CU's destiny. $50M sounds like alot. But with 30,000 active alumni, your fair share is less than $200 per person per year. Anyone donating $1000 per year will be rewarded with a thank you gift that includes an authentic coaches sweatshirt and a pass to join your fellow Buff leaders in a club box for a game. Give what you can. CU back in the top 25!

Go Buffs

Love Phil and Bruce"

My totalyl baseless, pessimistic, doom-filled conjecture:

If Bohn doesn't address the football program in some public way tomorrow (Tuesday) then the Buffs will not be relevant for at least ten more years. (Which makes me more depressed for my dad and DBT than anything.)

Maybe I missed it, but did Bohn say these changes he promised were coming Tuesday?

No, Embree said he would announce changes Tuesday, Bohn said changes will be announced but gave no timeline. Some people are combining the two.

I just take Tuesday because I believe a decision should take a couple days to think, organize the thoughts and make a decision. If it doesn't happen I than just have no faith that anything tangible ever will with bohn and the admin.

(and no, I do not realistically expect anything tomorrow)

Back