What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Leach agrees to coach Washington State

Because I felt an actual hiring warranted its own thread? It´s the offseason, Snow, for god´s sake. We need the traffic.

---

ESPN is going out of its way to NOT credit Feldman with the scoop here, btw. Kinda funny ... and extremely sad.
Off season? No, its basketball and recruiting season!

Also...

trafficGraph

Our former conference seems to have evolved into a group of teams that can't play defense, at least on a consistent basis. Could be that the 12PAC is headed for the same offensive-minded style.

:stupid:

I don't think he's going to find recruiting to Pullman quite the same as recruiting in Texass, even in Lubbock. It should also be interesting to watch his team chucking it 65 times in the middle of a November Pullman blizzard. I'm pretty mystified why he chose to go there. Seems like there were going to be some other options that would have suited him better.

I think he had to find a job that Craig James wouldn't veto.

guy won 9 or 10 games a year. he made his living learning from Hal Mumme and being the OC for Bob Stoops in 99.

i remember Tech assblasting a very good Cal team that thought they were BCS jilted.

In 10 seasons, he had one 11 win season and three 9 win seasons (two of the 9 win seasons thanks to bowl games, including one 14 game season). The norm for Mike Leach was 7-5 and the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. As big of a cesspool as Lubbock is, it's going to be harder to get talent to Pullman. Have a difficult time seeing anything more than Wazzu being a consistent 5-6 win team under Leach

In 10 seasons, he had one 11 win season and three 9 win seasons (two of the 9 win seasons thanks to bowl games, including one 14 game season). The norm for Mike Leach was 7-5 and the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. As big of a cesspool as Lubbock is, it's going to be harder to get talent to Pullman. Have a difficult time seeing anything more than Wazzu being a consistent 5-6 win team under Leach

plus, 2 or 4 of his annual wins were against the likes of teams like Sam Houston state and Texas State

plus, 2 or 4 of his annual wins were against the likes of teams like Sam Houston state and Texas State

I'm thinking Portland State, Idaho State, Montana and Western Washington all probably just got some help filling their schedules for the next few years...

i can't believe some of you are bagging on the pirate. the guy is a cartoon, but he can coach. ... just like old snyder.

his act won't fit many places, but he'll do just fine in pullman and he will do more with less talent than some of the schools in better geographies.

this is a good hire for them. the guy wouldn't work in boulder or westwood, but in freaking pullman, he will be a god. ... just like mike price was. and price was one hell of a coach too and at wsu they were able to overlook his other shortcomings.

People often gave Leach a pass on recruiting because Lubbock is an outpost, but in reality, he never put much effort into recruiting. That ultimately prevented his teams from taking the next step. Michael Crabtree practically fell in his lap because the other in-state schools did not think he would qualify.

i can't believe some of you are bagging on the pirate. the guy is a cartoon, but he can coach. ... just like old snyder.

his act won't fit many places, but he'll do just fine in pullman and he will do more with less talent than some of the schools in better geographies.

this is a good hire for them. the guy wouldn't work in boulder or westwood, but in freaking pullman, he will be a god. ... just like mike price was. and price was one hell of a coach too and at wsu they were able to overlook his other shortcomings.

He's a good coach, but certainly no guarantee for them. He did have pretty easy OOC schedules which helped his records at Tech. He has good passing offenses, but not so great defenses. That could spell trouble in bad weather games in the NW and the rockies. Plus, Colorado pretty much owned him, hell Hawkins owned him. Nuff said!

Leach is a good hire for WSU. If he gets the right QBs he'll win some games, just like he did in the B12. WSU will only rarely be a threat to win a conference championship, though. They have the worst recruiting grounds in the PAC.

Are there a lot of fat girlfriends in Pullman? How about pirates? These are important factors.

Arrrrrrrrrgh.
Thar she blows.
Shiver me timber.
Pirate ahoy on the Palouse.
Batten down the fat little girlfriends.
Thars bootie in the electrical cabinet.

****ing lunatic, good offense. I get it.

I just don't think winning 3 FCS OOC games and then going 4-4 in conference play at a school located in Texas is anything to be in awe of. Don't mistake their 2008 season for his entire tenure in Lubbock. Can he get Wazzu to a nice little run of back-to-back Kraft Fight Hunger Bowls? Yes. Will he ever win the North division? No. BB raises a good point in his lack of recruiting, as well.

Good for Mike, the way he seemingly got rail-roaded with Maryland smelled like Espin's involvement I had wondered if he'd been black-balled a-la Barnett. Also this means no Mike Belotti to Wazzu which was another concern for sure.

Good for Mike, the way he seemingly got rail-roaded with Maryland smelled like Espin's involvement I had wondered if he'd been black-balled a-la Barnett. Also this means no Mike Belotti to Wazzu which was another concern for sure.

I would have been much more concerned with Belloti, hopefully UCLA doesn't come calling for him.

good 3-4 star QB's will always play for Leach. to say this has no effect on us is silly. those are the guys we are recruiting west coast.

Lubbock ain't exactly easy to recruit too either. say what you want, but the guy was winning 10 games a year for a while. add up any of our last 3 seasons to get to 10.

good 3-4 star QB's will always play for Leach. to say this has no effect on us is silly. those are the guys we are recruiting west coast.

Lubbock ain't exactly easy to recruit too either. say what you want, but the guy was winning 10 games a year for a while. add up any of our last 3 seasons to get to 10.

Ummm, he had a total of 1 year he won more than 10 games at Tech. Most other years he would have struggled to make a bowl with a real OOC.
We would have had 5, 8, 6 win seasons the last 3 years with his OOC's at Tech.

The guy was winning with easy OOC's and did average at best in conference play.

This is much more concerning to me than RichRod to Arizona.

If Leach can recruit kids to Lubbock, he can recruit just as easily to Pullman. If he can go 47-33 in the Big12S, he can do well in the PAC12N. RichRod will flame out or have a few good seasons and leave for a better job. The only reason that Leach isn't in Lubbock today is because of a jilted parent.

This is much more concerning to me than RichRod to Arizona.

If Leach can recruit kids to Lubbock, he can recruit just as easily to Pullman. If he can go 47-33 in the Big12S, he can do well in the PAC12N. RichRod will flame out or have a few good seasons and leave for a better job. The only reason that Leach isn't in Lubbock today is because of a jilted parent.

4 out of his last 6 years he didn't even have a winning record in conference play. And it should be easy to recruit to tech for the leftovers of Texas and Oklahoma

He will not be a total flop, but his reputation is exaggerated, including that 47-33 conference. It was basically built off two really good seasons out of ten.

For as much as people talk about how he got a raw deal at TT, that whole situation probably made him out to be a better coach than he is in reality.

I'm not worried about Mikes hire at all. As I understand it, KU was trying to lure him, but going back to the Big Tex Conference would have had him coach against his old team.

he has a system that is innovative and works. he recruits guys to his system. his system allows him to match up better against better funded programs with better athletes.

he will do well in pullman.

Ummm....Leach is a pretty good coach. And I think he was just starting to get things rolling at Tech. It's a good hire for WSU and it definitely elevates the stature of the conference.

It will be interesting to see who UCLA and ASU hires. Embree & Co will have some stiff competition.

Back