What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Leach agrees to coach Washington State

he has a system that is innovative and works. he recruits guys to his system. his system allows him to match up better against better funded programs with better athletes.

he will do well in pullman.

He will do decent, but wont sniff being a conference title contender. He was average at best in conference play in the Big 12. Had a .500 season or worse in more than half his tenure at Tech in conference play.

You guys are funny. Texas ****ing Tech finished in the Top 25 five of Leach's last six years there. Texas ****ing Tech.

You guys are funny. Texas ****ing Tech finished in the Top 25 five of Leach's last six years there. Texas ****ing Tech.
Go ahead and look at their OOC schedules and the fact that even Hawkins had a winning record against him.

He will do decent, but wont sniff being a conference title contender. He was average at best in conference play in the Big 12. Had a .500 season or worse in more than half his tenure at Tech in conference play.

playing OU and Texas for most of the 00's is gonna be a 2 losses in the South most years. Leach will get more out of less with the system. he'll get QB's who can make the throws. his teams never won with D.

i would have given Wolff one more year.....but, Leach is a proven winner.

despite all the nanny panny in this thread about how he didn't win....he won a lot more than CU did in the 00's. and yeah yeah Hawkins beat him a couple times. Hawk beat Stoops too. i'd rather have Hawk than Stoops, just like you.

I think he will be a fine coach for them - however there will be many different dynamics at play at WSU than at TTU.

I don't get too worked up about new coaches at opposing schools - we'd probably be freaking out no matter who they hired.

Go ahead and look at their OOC schedules and the fact that even Hawkins had a winning record against him.
I don't have to. The pollsters did it for me.

OOC might be relevant if he was in the WAC. 31-17 in the B12 South over the last six years is a good enough sample size for me.

You're out of your element, Donnie.

Last edited:
I don't have to. The pollsters did it for me.

OOC might be relevant if he was in the WAC. 31-17 in the B12 South over the last six years is a good enough sample size for me.

You're out of your element, Donnie.
So you're saying playing three really low level FBS teams every year didn't inflate his record? Okay. And who were his wins against in the South? Like an actual breakdown. I'd wager they were against aTm who was very marginal while he was there, Baylor when they averaged ~3 wins a year, or OSU who had a few good years but for the most part were not a good team. I would wager that he didn't beat OU or UT much. Plus, Hawkins had a winning record against him.

So you're saying playing three really low level FBS teams every year didn't inflate his record? Okay.

Yes. I am saying that playing three really low level FBS teams every year didn't inflate his conference record.

And who were his wins against in the South?

His conference wins were against other teams in the conference, I believe.

wsu is a perfect fit. they will overlook his pirate fetish and embrace his gimmick offense. he'll bring in guys for his system. he will outperform his circumstances in pullman. that doesn't mean he'll turn them into a perennial nc contender. it means he will do better than what most coaches can do there, just like he did at ttu.

the pirate is a very good coach.

Yes. I am saying that playing three really low level FBS teams every year didn't inflate his conference record.

His conference wins were against other teams in the conference, I believe.
I addressed two parts you ****ing twatwaffle. And no **** his conference wins were against Big 12 teams but I'm asking how they broke down between each team.

wsu is a perfect fit. they will overlook his pirate fetish and embrace his gimmick offense.

I would sure hope so. After all, they just hired the guy. Not sure that embracing your new coach automatically = success, though. I also wonder how innovative his offense really is any more. Key for him will be can he pull 3* talent out of Calif. and or elsewhere and mold it to his system like he did at TT. I'm skeptical. And he'll never beat USC.

And he'll never beat USC.

mike reilly laughs at this notion. twice.

and oregon state is about on par with wsu. and when osu beat sc, sc was the most talented team in the nation.

never say never.

the pirate isn't going to turn the league upside down. he is going to do more with less, just like he did at tt. it is the mark of a very good coach when one can consistently do more with less. leach, price, barnett for a long time, etc. it is the mark of a very bad coach when one consistently does less with more. skippy, mack brown, etc.

very few teams are ever going to consistently contend for national championships. wsu, like CU, is not one of those schools. the pirate will exceed expectations and do well, despite all the built in disadvantages in pullman.

I think Wazzu made a good hire. It's better for us in the long run if everyone upgrades their coaching and play.

the pirate will exceed expectations and do well, despite all the built in disadvantages in pullman.

I guess I'd probably agree with this part. Probably around 7-5 most seasons, maybe 8-4. On some level that makes him a good, successful coach and I imagine he'll do ok. I'd sure take it at CU. But from what I'm hearing, the bigs in Pullman did not hire him do ok. They hired him to "turn the league upside down," to go to the Rose Bowl or more. And the ultimate sticking point for me is no matter what else he did at TT he lost twice, TWICE, to the worst coach in CU history. In both cases he had the better talent. Which means in both cases he was outcoached.

Haven't read this whole thread but this is a good hire for WSU. Similar to TT in that it's kind of an afterthought when it comes to the college football elite and is in a not very desirable location, yet he had pretty good success there while playing in one of the best divisions in all of college football for most years. And his style will fit in well with the Pac - spread offense and little or no defense. Once he gets the program going I wouldn't be at all surprised if he won a North division title every 5 years or so.

He may be recruiting against us but the quarterbacks we're each going after will have played in high school offenses much different from each other. So those prospects are largely safe from his reach.

He'll need more than a couple assistants on staff with PNW recruiting ties, as his coaching tree certainly isn't experienced there. Anyone see where this might be headed? Maybe a wide receiver or running backs coach vacancy to be filled with a $5 haircut and some zen wisdom?

I think he will be a fine coach for them - however there will be many different dynamics at play at WSU than at TTU.

I don't get too worked up about new coaches at opposing schools - we'd probably be freaking out no matter who they hired.

This. We should all already accept the fact that both ASU and UCLA will also bring in a quality guy to take over their programs, or at least someone who seems like a quality candidate. Bottom line, the games still have to be won on the field, not in the press conferences. I'm much more interested in what our coaches are doing on the recruiting trail right now to make our program better. If our guys do their job, won't matter as much who the other teams get.

So you're saying playing three really low level FBS teams every year didn't inflate his record? Okay. And who were his wins against in the South? Like an actual breakdown. I'd wager they were against aTm who was very marginal while he was there, Baylor when they averaged ~3 wins a year, or OSU who had a few good years but for the most part were not a good team. I would wager that he didn't beat OU or UT much. Plus, Hawkins had a winning record against him.

He's a modern day Bear Bryant, tini. The man was able to take over Texas Tech and....do the exact same as Dykes did before him. How can you be skeptical of the man who once had a 10 win season, taking Tech to the Cotton Bowl and getting their doors blown off by Ole Miss?

6-6 at Wazzu? Yes. Winning the North? No.

You guys act as though Washington State is a perennial doormat. They've won the Pac before. They've played in the Rose Bowl - the actual bowl game. Win the North? why not? Win the whole freaking conference? Why not? There's not a single team in this conference that has no shot whatsoever of ever winning the conference. There are no Iowa States in this conference. Every school has had it's glory days, and can have them again. (well, maybe Oregon State, but I digress).

there aren't an Iowa States maybe, but a lot more Kansas's.

Pac ain't that great. like i've said many times, with AB'ers...a 6 win Tech team sucks, a 6 win Wazzou team means competitive balance....hooray!

You know, we're the only ones in this conference with any experience in dealing with the pirate. We could be a good resource for our conference bretheren.

Yaaaaarrrrr! Avast ye salty dogs!

steve-the-pirate.jpg

You know, we're the only ones in this conference with any experience in dealing with the pirate. We could be a good resource for our conference bretheren.

not sure that's true. i'm pretty sure the Pirate ass-raped a pretty good Cal team in the Holiday Bowl...a Cal team that was arguing they ought to be in a BCS bowl. circa 2004?

not sure that's true. i'm pretty sure the Pirate ass-raped a pretty good Cal team in the Holiday Bowl...a Cal team that was arguing they ought to be in a BCS bowl. circa 2004?

2004? Hell, I don't remember what I had for breakfast, much less what happened in 2004. The hippies in Berkeley certainly don't remember that far back. Besides, that was one game. They haven't had the pleasure of the pirate press conference. I'm just concerned about the relative weight of the players girlfriends in Pullman. Hopefully, that won't be an issue. :lol:

2004? Hell, I don't remember what I had for breakfast, much less what happened in 2004. The hippies in Berkeley certainly don't remember that far back. Besides, that was one game. They haven't had the pleasure of the pirate press conference. I'm just concerned about the relative weight of the players girlfriends in Pullman. Hopefully, that won't be an issue. :lol:

fatties in LubTex and Pullman aside, you'd be surprised....i read/post on another board where there's a Cal fan who is still mad about Mack Brown lobbying for the coaches to vote for Texas in the polls over Cal. I think that was the same year...Cal thought they should be in a BCS bowl....and turned around and got pansed by Tech in the Holiday Bowl.

Those hawk teams that won had better talent on D than TT did on O. They were fooking good. Should have won more games with those teams.

fatties in LubTex and Pullman aside, you'd be surprised....i read/post on another board where there's a Cal fan who is still mad about Mack Brown lobbying for the coaches to vote for Texas in the polls over Cal. I think that was the same year...Cal thought they should be in a BCS bowl....and turned around and got pansed by Tech in the Holiday Bowl.
So is that Leach being a good coach, or Cal being letdown by being passed over and just playing crappy ala CU in 2001?

He is a good coach, not a great coach. If anybody seriously thought he was great at Texas Tech, they need to get their head examined and their football IQ checked out. Wazzu will be a bowl team again, thats about it.

Back