What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Leach for CU coach in 2011*

Given that this thread was started by the guy who wanted CU to go to the MWC, I now am definitively against Leach at CU.

Dave Logan...

lol - just kidding.

We need someone with experience in either the Pac10 or the Big12 and who knows what it takes to compete and recruit at the BCS level. Then we need that person to know how to hire the right coaches to call the plays and develop the players. Now, I don't know who meets those qualifications :lol:

Buffs are in dire need of both an X's and O's guy and a recruiter... we need it all

Schemes don't win games players do. When Mac switched to the option it was as an equalizer - option consumed the clock, the blocking schemes did not require dominating Oline, etc. But things really turned around as they got better players - first getting the best players in Colorado (John Embree recruiting class) and then as they were having success they were able to get great athletes from other parts of the country (notably Tx and CA).

CU switched from the option to the pro style offense in the early 90s and by 94 still had one of the best teams in the country (94 team should of been a MNC).

I think CU is missing ingredients at several levels. The talent level overall is average to below average, the coaching is really F type coaching they get very little out the talent they do have. Team intensity is also lacking.

To me it all starts with recruiting.

Since this is a Mike Leach thread - no to Leach. I firmly believe he is not a fit for CU. CU needs a good recruiter and someone who can then get the most out of those recruits. We don't need another prima donna where it is mostly about them.

Now that we are headed to the Pac 10 with half our games probably in decent locations weather wise I would be all in favor of a Leach coached Buffs team. We would be an ideal magnate to get some of those speedy So-Cal receivers.

Sigh....Mike Leach will not be coming to CU. You might as well be discussing Don Shula as the next coach or Joe Gibbs or Tom Flores.

The suggestion of David Gibbs intrigues me. There's a guy who has the chops for the position. Bring along EB as OC, and we have a pretty solid foundation. And I'm not saying this just because these are CU guys - although that certainly helps. I'm saying it because they're qualified AND are CU guys. Dave Logan is a CU guy, but you'll never see me shouting for him.

Leach would be a disaster.

What I hear about Gibbs is that he prefers the pros because he does not like recruiting. If true, he would not be a good fit.

****... id be a better fit as CU head Coach than Pirate Mike

BCS FOR CU HEAD COACH 2011!!!

Steve Mariucci...seriously.

If he had the passion to get back into college coaching, he'd be great. Definitely a guy who would attract attention and top quarterback recruits. Also has the connections to put together one hell of a staff.

If he had the passion to get back into college coaching, he'd be great. Definitely a guy who would attract attention and top quarterback recruits. Also has the connections to put together one hell of a staff.

Probably likes his network gig too much to go back to college, but the guy has coached in the Pac 10 and recruits would love him. His time in Detroit may have soured him on NFL jobs so I'm holding out hope he'd returm to college.

Umm we are not always going to be playign in nice weather.

Ever been to Seattle or Eugene in the fall? San Fran can be dreary too. Oh and we still play in our stadium which can have snow and wind.

Leach is a wonderful idea IF the PAC-16 is for real. As of Sunday night/early Monday morning, it's sounding like the Big X will stick together. If this is the case, we might as well send Leach over to the plank.

Fundamental difference is where you're drawing your recruits from.

Texas prep football has become a spread offense state. A big reason we saw programs like KU, MU, OSU and TTU on the rise in the first decade of the 2000s while NU, CU and KSU went dramatically downhill... is that those programs capitalized on the Texas spread offenses and all the quarterbacks, wide receivers and offensive linemen experienced in that system. Plus, they realized they could look for smaller, quicker Michael Westbrook prototype RBs for that offense (and get them because the traditional powers overlook those guys).

Colorado, increasingly, is also a spread offense state for prep football. Just look at how hard it's getting for us to find an in-state Tight End recruit who comes in knowing how to block. And when we find them (Nate Solder, for example), we're moving them to OT because athleticism of offensive linemen is more at a premium than ever. The Colorado offensive linemen we're recruiting are not the drive blockers of yesteryear, either.

And our other recruiting hotbed, California, is mostly spread even over pro style offenses. It's become nearly impossible to find a quarterback out of California who comes in comfortable with taking a snap from under center and executing a 3-, 5-, or 7-step drop.

Basically, programs that run Option, Power-I or Veer in our region of the country are few and far between. CU is going to be its most successful when it runs the type of system that fits our recruiting region. One thing I've got to give Hawkins credit for is that he has now re-made our roster so that we can run that system. Whether he's the one who sees the payoff from this or not remains to be seen. But CU's roster is now structured exactly as it should be and we're running the correct offense for us.

On second thought...Mike Leach as the CU coach in the Pac-12 ought to not be far fetched. Arizona is one Pac-10 that runs the spread and throws the ball around. Oregon runs the spread but they are more liable to run the football. I would not mind seeing CU follow Oregon's example.

I never enjoyed watching Leach and TT throw the ball 50+ times a game, so I'd vote no. I love football, but honestly I don't want to sit through those lengthily games that style brings about-as weird as that may sound.

The option is successful today because it has become a gimmick offense that is hard to defend because nobody sees it...that will change within the next two seasons. Leach's offense is a gimmick for the same reasons (see Hawaii under June Jones as well). We don't need gimmicks, we need high caliber players...gimmicks are what you use when you coach at Boise State and are playing a higher level of competition because your athletes can't match up.

And all you guys out there that have a boner for EB as an HC...that is ridiculous. I have no doubt he is an excellent recruiter, but why would you bring in somebody with no proven experience as an HC or even OC for that matter? We need a guy that can recruit and that has the experience as a HC/OC/DC to win big games. Make EB an OC...I am all for that, but the last thing we need is another goddamn experiment...might as well bring make Chris Fowler the HC...he watches a lot of football and is a CU alum.

If CU ends up in a northwestern division with Utah and the NW schools, I'd say CU should become more of a pro style team and that means we need a major upgrade at QB.

I don't agree....we need a more versatile offense. I think it's time to reevaluate personnel and put Clark Evans where he belongs....running the offense....and then the world.

I hate Leach's offense. I want to run - and there is no reason we have to change our identity just because of the Pac. We're still going to have to play half of our games in Boulder, and half of those in likely rough weather. Coach 'em up, coach 'em up, go CU

I hate Leach's offense. I want to run - and there is no reason we have to change our identity just because of the Pac. We're still going to have to play half of our games in Boulder, and half of those in likely rough weather. Coach 'em up, coach 'em up, go CU

When was the last time there was a really bad weather game in Boulder? It's been years. The idea that the weather in Boulder is sketchy is a myth.

When was the last time there was a really bad weather game in Boulder? It's been years. The idea that the weather in Boulder is sketchy is a myth.

Totally agree for football season.

I do think Boulder weather is a major issue when discussing the addition of baseball, though. April and May are wild here. Could be sunny and in the 80s, could be freezing with 12 inches of snow... and in the same week. :lol:

That is why I think we should get Leach for the Pac-16 (if it still happens).

For the Pac-12, I'm not sure who to look at.

Fundamental difference is where you're drawing your recruits from.

Texas prep football has become a spread offense state. A big reason we saw programs like KU, MU, OSU and TTU on the rise in the first decade of the 2000s while NU, CU and KSU went dramatically downhill... is that those programs capitalized on the Texas spread offenses and all the quarterbacks, wide receivers and offensive linemen experienced in that system. Plus, they realized they could look for smaller, quicker Michael Westbrook prototype RBs for that offense (and get them because the traditional powers overlook those guys).

Colorado, increasingly, is also a spread offense state for prep football. Just look at how hard it's getting for us to find an in-state Tight End recruit who comes in knowing how to block. And when we find them (Nate Solder, for example), we're moving them to OT because athleticism of offensive linemen is more at a premium than ever. The Colorado offensive linemen we're recruiting are not the drive blockers of yesteryear, either.

And our other recruiting hotbed, California, is mostly spread even over pro style offenses. It's become nearly impossible to find a quarterback out of California who comes in comfortable with taking a snap from under center and executing a 3-, 5-, or 7-step drop.

Basically, programs that run Option, Power-I or Veer in our region of the country are few and far between. CU is going to be its most successful when it runs the type of system that fits our recruiting region. One thing I've got to give Hawkins credit for is that he has now re-made our roster so that we can run that system. Whether he's the one who sees the payoff from this or not remains to be seen. But CU's roster is now structured exactly as it should be and we're running the correct offense for us.

I did google "Mike Leach to CU" and I saw this thread from the google page and I was surprised that I started this thread but you made one excellent point here. We will have to go to the spread offense whether we like it or not and I am someone who would want to run the option of yesteryear. If Leach could get the TX and CA kids in addition to the local kids, CU should be back to winning football games.

Buffnik,

I'm repeating what I said last June so you can ignore what I said.

Looking through this thread, this occurred in June after the Pac-10 move was announced. At the time, we didn't know where the Buffs were going to go to when it came to the Divisions. Now that CU is going to the South, I am still firm in my belief that the Pirate needs to be our next head coach at CU.

I have also found out that like CU and snow, it doesn't rain that often on gamedays in Oregon as well. I got that directly from the Duck fans on other boards. So you might want to throw out those weather concerns in the Pac-12 for a Leach offense.

LEACH FOR CU COACH IN 2011! ARGH ARGH!

Buffnik,

I'm repeating what I said last June so you can ignore what I said.

Looking through this thread, this occurred in June after the Pac-10 move was announced. At the time, we didn't know where the Buffs were going to go to when it came to the Divisions. Now that CU is going to the South, I am still firm in my belief that the Pirate needs to be our next head coach at CU.

I have also found out that like CU and snow, it doesn't rain that often on gamedays in Oregon as well. I got that directly from the Duck fans on other boards. So you might want to throw out those weather concerns in the Pac-12 for a Leach offense.

LEACH FOR CU COACH IN 2011! ARGH ARGH!

I actually stand by what I said, but I do believe we can do more of the zone read or spread option stuff from the talent pool we recruit from. No reason we can't run the next generation of the Leach offense that you see at places like Oklahoma State, which has led the Big 12 in rushing the past 3 seasons. The spread at Oregon is a running offense, too. Malzahn's offense at Auburn. Even Missouri is focusing a lot more on running the ball.

I actually think that the Texas Tech spread has been passed by for the same reasons the run n shoot didn't last. You might put up video game numbers, but if you can't control the line of scrimmage you can't impose your will and win the important red zone battles. Plus, your defense gets soft from practicing against a finesse team every day.

Finally, the thing I love about a running quarterback is that weather or whatnot can cause a bad passing day. But speed never slumps.

I actually stand by what I said, but I do believe we can do more of the zone read or spread option stuff from the talent pool we recruit from. No reason we can't run the next generation of the Leach offense that you see at places like Oklahoma State, which has led the Big 12 in rushing the past 3 seasons. The spread at Oregon is a running offense, too. Malzahn's offense at Auburn. Even Missouri is focusing a lot more on running the ball.

I actually think that the Texas Tech spread has been passed by for the same reasons the run n shoot didn't last. You might put up video game numbers, but if you can't control the line of scrimmage you can't impose your will and win the important red zone battles. Plus, your defense gets soft from practicing against a finesse team every day.

Finally, the thing I love about a running quarterback is that weather or whatnot can cause a bad passing day. But speed never slumps.

I hate Oregon but I like how they run the spread. Anything looks good if you have the players that fit it.

I have had the chance to talk with Tech fans on message boards for the better part of 10 years. What they have basically told me about why Leach's offenses were successful during that time was not just because of the passing attack. Some TT RBs have came close to cracking the 1,000 yard mark under Leach but the problem was that they were primma donnas and couldn't stay out of Leach's doghouse. TT also did a very good job with racking up the number of plays on offense which wore out opposing defenses even in Lubbock. Just think about what the altitude could do to opposing teams in that regard.

If you want to question Leach's former OL players...the starting LG of the San Diego Chargers starred at TT: http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/Louis-Vasquez/f33284d5-f3aa-4ae2-baf5-6a66f34d9053

The Red Raiders had some highly touted OL players the last few years as well.

In 2008, TT rushed for 28 TDs while CU rushed for just 10 TDs. TT's average per rush was higher than CU's as well.

2008 Big 12 stats: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewContent.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=10410&CONTENT_ID=477

In 2007, CU scored only one more TD than TT did.

2007 Big 12 stats: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1514267

In 2006, TT scored one more rushing TD than CU did.

2006 Big 12 stats: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1515099

In 2009, TT scored 24 rushing TDs compared to CU's 14 rushing TDs.

2009 Big 12 stats: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1515099

Look at it this way, TT had to face Texas and OU every season and those terrific defenses.

Being better than CU's rushing attack over the last five years means jack ****.

Again dude, you're comparing TT to Hawk's CU teams. I'd assume most teams in the country would look amazing when you compare them to Hawk teams. Leach isn't a bad coach, he had some solid teams at TT, but he's not some kind of world beater. Why you're so infatuated with him is just beyond me, but apparently I'm not going to change your mind on him so I'm just going to leave it there.

Back