What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Leach for CU coach in 2011*

I actually stand by what I said, but I do believe we can do more of the zone read or spread option stuff from the talent pool we recruit from. No reason we can't run the next generation of the Leach offense that you see at places like Oklahoma State, which has led the Big 12 in rushing the past 3 seasons. The spread at Oregon is a running offense, too. Malzahn's offense at Auburn. Even Missouri is focusing a lot more on running the ball.

I actually think that the Texas Tech spread has been passed by for the same reasons the run n shoot didn't last. You might put up video game numbers, but if you can't control the line of scrimmage you can't impose your will and win the important red zone battles. Plus, your defense gets soft from practicing against a finesse team every day.

Finally, the thing I love about a running quarterback is that weather or whatnot can cause a bad passing day. But speed never slumps.

I agree with the running QB...Tuberville isn't using TT's running QB option this year and look at how ordinary TT looks this year. Leach did great with that kid last year.

I think you guys are not believing that Leach is capable of making tweaks to his playcalling which I think is unfair. I believe he is capable of running the zone read stuff as well.

Plus the number of bad weather days in the Pac-12 would have to be lower than what we could expect in the Big 12. I said in a post that Duck fans have told me that it doesn't rain as much as people are led to believe just like people are led to believe that it snows more often at CU games which is not the case.

Again dude, you're comparing TT to Hawk's CU teams. I'd assume most teams in the country would look amazing when you compare them to Hawk teams. Leach isn't a bad coach, he had some solid teams at TT, but he's not some kind of world beater. Why you're so infatuated with him is just beyond me, but apparently I'm not going to change your mind on him so I'm just going to leave it there.
It is beginning to look like a man crush....

The stats speak for themselves. Remember TT goes against OU and Texas every year. Leach won his games in the toughest or second toughest division of college football.

How would CU's rushing numbers have been like if CU went against UT and OU EVERY year under Hawkins? I'm sure it would have been worse than what CU has done in the North under Hawkins.

He is not coming to Boulder and I would bet he is not even on the interview list. No way Bohn goes this way with the issues (made up or not) he had in Lubbock. Just not going to happen.

coffee%20love.jpg

coach.large.jpg

ps-i-love-you1.jpg

He is not coming to Boulder and I would bet he is not even on the interview list. No way Bohn goes this way with the issues (made up or not) he had in Lubbock. Just not going to happen.

So you don't believe in second chances? By that logic, Neushiel shouldn't be coaching at UCLA.

I seriously do back Bohn as the CU AD but if the next coaching hire (even if it is Big Mac) falters, I will jump on the Fire the Bohner bandwagon.

So you don't believe in second chances? By that logic, Neushiel shouldn't be coaching at UCLA.

I seriously do back Bohn as the CU AD but if the next coaching hire (even if it is Big Mac) falters, I will jump on the Fire the Bohner bandwagon.
I think everyone will be on that bandwagon with you. I don't think many (any?) ADs get to hire a 3rd HC if his first two football HC hires failed. This pick for Bohn either works or he is gone as well.

Not sure you want to be using Neuheisel to support your Leach argument.

To be clear, I'm pretty sure UCLA would prefer that Neuheisel was not coaching at UCLA. The fact that he can't recruit a QB and develop him is hilarious considering that's his specialty.

To be clear, I'm pretty sure UCLA would prefer that Neuheisel was not coaching at UCLA. The fact that he can't recruit a QB and develop him is hilarious considering that's his specialty.

I just don't get it either about Neushiel. He has Norm Chow as his OC for crying out loud. That should sell any SoCal QB prospect on playing for the Bruins in a heartbeat. At least we might get to whip UCLA before he is eventually forced out...that would be great not only for CU fans but UW and UO fans would pay to see that happen too.

Leach started to bring in more high profile QBs in the later part of his career at TT and given that the Pac-12 has had impressive QBs, that could work against Leach but again, CU hasn't landed a high profile QB that often in past years so that works in Leach's favor. Leach has proven that he can get the most out of his QBs.

Not sure you want to be using Neuheisel to support your Leach argument.

I don't think you read my comments correctly.

A lot of coaches had moments such as Leach making that mistake he made and they were able to land jobs down the road. Mike Price comes to mind here too.

Uhm.. Mike Price got fired and was only able to land a job at UTEP. I wouldn't say he was really able to recover from that. Rick got lucky that UCLA needed a coach and he was available, if he wasn't an alum he doesn't get that job. If UCLA didn't hire him, nobody else would have. Where is Dennis Franchione? George O'Leary is the coach at UCF of all places. No man, honestly, coaches like Leach do not "recover".

I don't think you read my comments correctly.

A lot of coaches had moments such as Leach making that mistake he made and they were able to land jobs down the road. Mike Price comes to mind here too.

I read it just fine. Just because some coaches got second chances, Mike Leach needs to get one too. Pretty weak, especially if you're going to use Neuheisel (floundering at UCLA) and Mike Price (Conference USA) as examples.

One thing we've never really discussed is that the 3 successful coaches that were fired last offseason for abusing players and general douchery (Jim Leavitt, Mike Leach, and Mark Mangino) all learned at the knee of Bill Snyder. Well, Leach is one degree of separation (Stoops) but the point still stands.

Really makes you wonder what has been going on at Kansas State that they've been covering up for years.

I did not say he does not deserve a second chance, he certainly does. It just will not happen at CU. By the way, where is Barnett's second chance. Sometimes you do not get a second. Just sayin.

I actually stand by what I said, but I do believe we can do more of the zone read or spread option stuff from the talent pool we recruit from. No reason we can't run the next generation of the Leach offense that you see at places like Oklahoma State, which has led the Big 12 in rushing the past 3 seasons. The spread at Oregon is a running offense, too. Malzahn's offense at Auburn. Even Missouri is focusing a lot more on running the ball.

I actually think that the Texas Tech spread has been passed by for the same reasons the run n shoot didn't last. You might put up video game numbers, but if you can't control the line of scrimmage you can't impose your will and win the important red zone battles. Plus, your defense gets soft from practicing against a finesse team every day.

Finally, the thing I love about a running quarterback is that weather or whatnot can cause a bad passing day. But speed never slumps.

+1

Don't care what formation it's done out of. We need a running game. You have to be physical to win consistently vs good teams - especially on the road.

I did not say he does not deserve a second chance, he certainly does. It just will not happen at CU. By the way, where is Barnett's second chance. Sometimes you do not get a second. Just sayin.

I believe two reasons for that: he's 64 years old and at his two head coaching stops on the BCS level, they ended with a scandal. You know what Hawkins says about players who get in trouble more than one time? Second time's a habit. If Big Mac insists on hiring Barnett as his right hand man, I will give a big thumbs down to Big Mac as well. Maybe Big Mac is starting to back away from the job? (I hope not)

Because Texas Tech has the bar set high, right? Please. TTU is an after-thought in football and everything else. Leach took them to the Alamo Bowl every year and now he's the best coach in program history.

Lasting 10 years in West Texas means Leach isn't quite the loon that Dan Hawkins is.

I believe two reasons for that: he's 64 years old and at his two head coaching stops on the BCS level, they ended with a scandal. You know what Hawkins says about players who get in trouble more than one time? Second time's a habit. If Big Mac insists on hiring Barnett as his right hand man, I will give a big thumbs down to Big Mac as well. Maybe Big Mac is starting to back away from the job? (I hope not)

At least you finally found your valid comparison to Leach's second chance...

Back