What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre: Does He Make It Through 2016?

How long will Mike MacIntyre last?

• 1 game: Loss to CSU and Rick George says **** it, time to make a statement!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 2- games: Buffs lose to CSU and a D-IAA program? Gone

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 3-4 games: Michigan and Oregon are certain losses, but if they get embarrassed?!

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 5-6 games: Buffs sitting at 2-3 or 2-4 may spark this.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 7-8 games: I have Buffs at 3-5 after 8. Does needing to go 3-1 in last 4 make George.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 9-10 games: Buffs are not bowl eligible in this timeframe and makes it easy

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • 11-12 games: Two winnable home games and if Buffs are 4-6 going into them, he HAS to win both.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • 2017 Extension: Buffs make a bowl and continue to show improvement.

Votes: 86 48.9%

• Total voters
Most other areas? OL, Lb special teams.

When MM got here our defense was finishing around ~90 to 100 out of 113 D1 schools in most statistical categories. Worse than lots of G5 programs. Probably the worst program among all P5 conferences.

In year 3 the defense is much improved. Depth on the OL and at LB is still being worked on. ST was poorly coached and that was changed.

I can't take another coaching change. Don't **** it up, Mac Mac
This is kind of where I am as well. Progress has been glacial, but it has been made. Every coaching hire is a crapshoot. I don't want to go through that again unless it's 100% obvious that MM is a disaster. So far, he's not been disastrous. Yes, I know that's not a high bar to set, but after our last two coaches, "not a disaster" represents a marked improvement.

This is kind of where I am as well. Progress has been glacial, but it has been made. Every coaching hire is a crapshoot. I don't want to go through that again unless it's 100% obvious that MM is a disaster. So far, he's not been disastrous. Yes, I know that's not a high bar to set, but after our last two coaches, "not a disaster" represents a marked improvement.

The fear I kind of have is we fire and lose the class thru another bungled CU coaching hire.

The fear I kind of have is we fire and lose the class thru another bungled CU coaching hire.
I know some, cough, disagree with me, but I still believe it takes time for a staff to get recruiting rolling. I don't think fans have the patience for it. Now, if you bring in an already established "name" coach, maybe he already has the pieces in place and can hit the ground rolling. But in our situation we could not hire that guy. But if we make a change after this year and bring in another "Tier 2" staff, then it will be "back to the drawing board." With Leavitt, Chev and Tumpkin in place now, if we change we will most likely lose those guys and will be starting from scratch. At least that's my fear.

I really like the the staff MMac has now and I expect he will upgrade it next year too. I am hopeful this year we break through and go bowling. Webb would have shored up a scary qb situation, but MMac and staff will have to work around that. If Sefo is healthy I predict a big year for him if not they maybe go with Martez and Awini and run the ball more. Go Buffs.

In our situation we did not chose to hire that guy. Everything comes with a cost. Bohn blew it when he missed his public target and it cost him his job. MM's inability to recruit and misguided loyalty to some of the worst recruiters in Div I may cost him his job. His inability to win will. It might not be fair, but when your pulling down seven figures you have to figure out how to out recruit places like WSU or OSU or even by some site rankings CSU.

The argument of you have to give him time is fair, but 4 years is enough time to get a team to mediocrity at the worse. I am truly pulling for him to get to a bowl and squash this talk. But it is something that should be discussed.

The talk of losing a class is fine, but if we finish 4-8 again, we aren't retaining a fair amount of the top recruits we need to get better. We need to make a bowl to get better recruits, simple.

If we don't, Mac is probably fired and George may make it a point that Tumpkin, Leavitt and Chev are all retained for the next guy. To be honest, Leavitt is well liked and respected and while some of the we must start over crowd may not like it, he may be the right answer to solve both retaining the next class and continuing to improve.

Let's be honest, our defense didn't improve really until Leavitt and Tumpkin came on board last year and hope that it continues while Chev/Hagan improve the offense.

Actually, yes. Do you remember the Fresno game? We can complain about the OL and LB depth, but we are in better shape at those positions today than we were then.

The defense has improved big time. The OL is bad right now, not much of a leap from fresno.

The defense has improved big time. The OL is bad right now, not much of a leap from fresno.
C'mon, man. When MM got here, I don't think we had ten guys on OL scholarship. We are way ahead of where we were in 2013. Class balance has improved and we are finally at a point where we should be starting a front five of upperclassmen.

C'mon, man. When MM got here, I don't think we had ten guys on OL scholarship. We are way ahead of where we were in 2013. Class balance has improved and we are finally at a point where we should be starting a front five of upperclassmen.

Fair enough, now what? Win or go, I'm tired of hearing how things are better than hawk and embree and winning 3-4 games a year.

Does not seem like there is much consensus on short-term and long-term goals of the program.

...MM's inability to recruit and misguided loyalty to some of the worst recruiters in Div I may cost him his job...

The coaching world is a revolving door business within which competant professionals are fired every year due to 4 year windows of analysis, a window that they all understand is too small to reflect their abilities as head coaches. They know this. If a coach is given a D1 job and does not hit the magical milestones within the narrow window, they know that may need to go back to being an OC or DC. This coordinating job will be offered to them by a peer. Those peer relationships are vital for a lifetime in coaching.

Mac gave his staff an honest opportunity to succeed at the next level. He handled their dismissals professionally and respectfully. If he receives the pinkness this season he will continue his coaching career. He will be picked up due to a relationship he has within the fraternity. I think affording his original staff a reasonable amount of time to succeed with him at the next level was not a mistake, but an excellent demonstration of professionalism informed by a two generation understanding of how the coaching profession works.

Fair enough, now what? Win or go, I'm tired of hearing how things are better than hawk and embree and winning 3-4 games a year.
The problem with that is that he rest of the conference has gotten better, too.

Look, I'm as frustrated as anybody. I'm tired of dealing with the s.hitstorm left by Embree, too. It sucks. Who knows what we might have been able to do had we never hired Embree in the first place. But we did. And the price to pay, I'm afraid, is a multi-year rebuild.
I've come to accept this as reality. Nobody turns around a program that was as bad as we were in three or four years, and we are just now starting to see some tangible improvements in recruiting. Gotta let this thing play itself out, IMO.

All bets are off if we lose to CSU, though.

reading this thread sort of pisses me off...I just don't understand how some sub-par performers make so much money - not HCMM, but Bohn. I continue to be amazed at how ****ty he was - from Hawk (hindsight is 20/20, but still a bad decision), Embree (WTF??), not being able to interview Butch Jones correctly and leaking contract figures for the person he would hire, and just being a ****ty fundraiser. I know it's not completely pertinent to the thread, but I blame Bohn for a lot of things...

Bohn was brought in to do a few things. What he was asked to do, he did well. The admin wasn't interested in winning football games when they hired him. They wanted an athletic department that nobody knew existed.

Key phrases I am tired of hearing:
Schedule is so tough: We play in the Pac 12. This schedule sets up great according to the reverse I heard of last year. Playing easier opponents at home and tougher opponents on road
Conference has got tougher: Duh, it's the Pac 12. It gets better every year and took over from the Big XII right before our move over.
Sefo is so tough and a great leader: Follow this up with every excuse possible for him from OL to defense to play calling. He is also 2-23 as a Pac 12 starter and his negatives outweigh his positives. I am pulling for him because he is what will get us to a bowl of not. QB play is key in college athletics. Simple!
Can't start over again: The simple fact is if we are a 4 Win team again, it shows no progress. Even 5 Wins shows very little progress. It is time to Rise Again and make a ****ing bowl and quit the excuses. SIMPLE!

When you have won 2 conference games in 3 years then changing the coach is not starting over. You are basically starting over every year.

This year we have a new CO- OC and we are supposedly changing the offense. We have a totally new S&C philosophy. We have changed our Special teams philosophy. We are paying a lot of money for OJT for MacIntyre and we are constantly starting over. This thread depresses me because so many fans accept this mediocrity.

I definitely can see a situation where it would be logical to give MacIntyre a 5th season without making a bowl game this season, but I would expect 2017 to be a pretty big breakthrough, meaning six wins would be a disappointment.

Instead of a coaching change Im rooting for Sefo to get healthy and there be a competitive QB competition come fall, the team rallies behind MM, and the Buffs go bowling. I don't care about the record as much as getting the bowl curse off the program's back. If Sefo makes the jump that so many people thought he would make,last season, I don't see why a bowl game isn't the goal. Yes, I know everything says he won't but this is sports and I like the underdog more than the RsFreshman that's never taken a meaningful snap.

I'm not sold on MM long term but i would like to see what this staff can do (hopefully) for a couple of seasons.This program is not that far removed from a 1-point win saving a possible 0fer season. Ya, the progress has been "glacial" but that's a hell of a lot better than the free fall into the abyss that we were on.

Please don't lose to CSU....... :sick:

I think he stays for the entire season, but I fully expect him to fall short of 6 wins and get fired as a result.

I definitely can see a situation where it would be logical to give MacIntyre a 5th season without making a bowl game this season, but I would expect 2017 to be a pretty big breakthrough, meaning six wins would be a disappointment.
And that situation is a killer recruiting class and 5 wins (still improvement)?

Buffs are a much better team now than they were when M2 took over. We now look like we belong on the field against PAC12 competition, a huge advance.

Question is will it be enough to save his job. I think that if he wins 5 and doesn't have any embarrassing moments he gets another year. Less than that and he will be looking for another job.

He is making significant ;progress but the problem is that it isn't translating into wins. He has also been slow to catch up with running a P5 program. Last year we finally started competing for some PAC12 athletes with other P5 schools instead of taking "under the radar" and "hidden talents" which are truthfully better known as "leftovers." This should have been happening from the start but he didn't have guys on the staff with the ability or drive to compete.

If he gets fired he can blame a big part of it on not moving fast enough to upgrade staff when it became obvious that it wasn't working. He still has three guys on the staff who appear to be dead weight on the recruiting trail, you can't afford that in this league, especially if you are trying to climb up from the bottom.

If Montez is as good as the talk makes him out to be, that should show in 2016.
Somehow the narrative on Montez went from he just needs another year last year to he just needs another year this year. F*** that. QBs are generally ready early these days unless you're Alabama or USC, if you're going to hype up true freshman they better be ready quick. We haven't had the talent at QB to justify sitting so-called talented players on the bench, if Lytle comes in here and we hear the same thing while QB issues continue I'll lose it. I have a hard time seeing Colorado turn around because a player was given his shot in his 3rd year and was a top 5 QB in the conference - maybe it does, just not how I see it playing out. A 3rd year Top 5 conference QB tends to be better in his 2nd and even first year than what we've had at QB lately, so I have trouble buying we have a talented QB riding the bench if our QB play continues to be lackluster (if we do - then why are they riding the bench?).

Back