What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Minority Coaches...

4DemBuffs

Most admired poster
Club Member
i want to talk about this for a minute and i have a theory as to why it may not be working out for minority coaches. generally speaking. i know there are exceptions.

to be an effective head coach at any level, you need experience. in the coaching ranks that comes from being a position coach and working your way up the ladder. perhaps from a lower ranking position to a more important position to being a special teams head coach to being an OC or a DC.

just as in business. one, if they are smart will never make the CEO of the company, given circumstances where the founder is the owner and the such, if they have never managed any significant branch of the firm.

this is where you cut you teeth. learn the trade. see what works and what does not.

when it comes to minority coaches, perhaps part if the issue is that given our past as a nation, they have not had the needed time to take the necessary steps to properly learn the job as opposed to some white counterparts. in our rush to be racially equal and sensitive, we forget about what learning curve is needed to make anyone successful at the highest levels. and no, i am not suggesting that minorities only got their positions because they were of color. what i am suggesting is that in our rush to right the wrongs of the past, we are rushing these candidates before their time....

its not that they cant do it. its that because of societal pressures to hire minorities, they are being put into positions before they are truly ready. not because they lack talent, education or anything else. its more because it takes time for them to truly learn the business and because of our past failings as a nation and bigotry, its really only been only generation that these coaches have been allowed into OC or DC positions and thus can then learn what it truly takes to build and run a competitive BCS program.

again, its not that they cant. or lack the ambition, will, knowledge, ability. its just that because of prior predigest, there has not been ample time for people of color to spend time in the lower ranks, to cut their teeth and learn what they need to learn to actually succeed as a head coach in BCS football.

and i would contend, that in the next 10 to 20 years, we will see an explosion of minority hires from the BCS schools. and these guys will have had much more experience and be better head coaches because of it and will not face the same lack of experience issues that current minority coaches face with white counterparts.

don't get me wrong. it is great that we try and forcefully wright or wrongs. i am just not a big fan of it when it sets up the very people we are trying help for failure when they lack the experience needed to succeed. i fail to see how that helps anyone....

and again, because some people have reading comprehension issues.... i am in no way implying in any way, shape, form nor context that a black guy cant not coach. not at all. if that is what you got, go to bed or reread the post until you get it.

well, my neck is out there... use something that is quick and painless....

Back