What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mister Jones de-commitment

Call me old fashioned but I think all those "cutesy" names are weird, not cool. Now if it's because of some cultural thing, like Samoan, etc., then that's different. But I get the feeling kids that come up with nicknames like Munchie, etc. are looking for a lot of attention.

If his mother named him Mister Jones because she loved the song and couldn't think of another name, well, then I think that's kinda weird too.

And what is thought of as a cool name doesn't automatically make a great football player.

Names like Mary and Michael and John were new at one time and, when they were, I imagine the old fogeys then were lamenting all these cutesy names coming along and dreading the future for these children.

Would you be bringing this up if he had not de-commited? This sounds like sour grapes unless of course you are joking.

I wouldn't have wanted to bring it up, but it would still bug me. I'm already bugged by everyone thinking Munchie is going to be the savior of the Buffs just because he calls himself Munchie! Everyone thought BJax was cool too and look what happened.

I think Benson sounds a lot better than Munchie but as I said, that's my take on nicknames...as if they automatically make a player great.

I wouldn't have wanted to bring it up, but it would still bug me. I'm already bugged by everyone thinking Munchie is going to be the savior of the Buffs just because he calls himself Munchie! Everyone thought BJax was cool too and look what happened.

I think Benson sounds a lot better than Munchie but as I said, that's my take on nicknames...as if they automatically make a player great.

People thought Bernard Jackson was a cool name?

Names like Mary and Michael and John were new at one time and, when they were, I imagine the old fogeys then were lamenting all these cutesy names coming along and dreading the future for these children.

I'm talking about the perception of a "cool" nickname seeming to say the player will automatically be great.

I guess Mister Jones's mother liked the name "Mister" if that's how she chose to name him....just seems weird to me.

I'm talking about the perception of a "cool" nickname seeming to say the player will automatically be great.

I guess Mister Jones's mother liked the name "Mister" if that's how she chose to name him....just seems weird to me.

Mister is his actual name. And it's ****ing awesome.

Was this back around the time Christ was born? :lol:

Gate expressing her annoyance with young people having quirky nick names just cracks me up. Damn whipper snappers!!!

Call me old fashioned but I think all those "cutesy" names are weird, not cool. Now if it's because of some cultural thing, like Samoan, etc., then that's different. But I get the feeling kids that come up with nicknames like Munchie, etc. are looking for a lot of attention.

If his mother named him Mister Jones because she loved the song and couldn't think of another name, well, then I think that's kinda weird too.

And what is thought of as a cool name doesn't automatically make a great football player.

I could look for the interview, but I thought she named him Mister because he didn't have a dad in the picture, and people would always have to address him with respect.

This thread has taken an odd, odd turn. I'd be very surprised to learn if anybody actually believed that a player's name contributes to his capabilities on the field.

This thread has taken an odd, odd turn. I'd be very surprised to learn if anybody actually believed that a player's name contributes to his capabilities on the field.

Are you saying a guy named Foi Foi is not destined to be a bad ass muther****er?

:yeahthat:

FIRST NAME: Mister
MIDDLE NAME: Quincy
LAST NAME: Jones

Mister Quincy Jones.

Really? OMG!

There used to be a list of strange names taken from birth records....one we recall was "No Fumar"....which actually means "No Smoking" in Spanish, which was posted in elevators and other public places. The people that chose that "name" were not hispanic.

I think it is the new thing.

Adrian Peterson= AD (All Day)
Brandon "the beast" Marshall

I think you can blame Chris Berman
Eric "the enemy" Bieniemy

i wanted to name my kid "hannibal" but the wife vetoed.

dammit.

now THAT is a badass name.

it definitely MUST be the off-season if we have people going off on someone's given name.

by the way, i think MUNCHIE LAGEAUX is a freakin' bitchin' football player name.

he sounds like a badass.

and, oh yes, gate, we are all "convinced" that mister jones is gonna be a big star because of his name. it has nothing to do with his high school success, his athletic ability, etc. all the love is because he is named "mister." :rolleyes:

:lol:

Really? OMG!

There used to be a list of strange names taken from birth records....one we recall was "No Fumar"....which actually means "No Smoking" in Spanish, which was posted in elevators and other public places. The people that chose that "name" were not hispanic.

Have you ever read the names on the arrest docket in a low income city?:wow:

Anyone who has ever used a nickname sucks! Especially at football! Yeah, I'm looking at you, Chuck. You too, Charlie. And, don't even get me started on your weak ass situation, Chas.

i wanted to name my kid "hannibal" but the wife vetoed.

dammit.

now THAT is a badass name.

it definitely MUST be the off-season if we have people going off on someone's given name.

by the way, i think MUNCHIE LAGEAUX is a freakin' bitchin' football player name.

he sounds like a badass.

and, oh yes, gate, we are all "convinced" that mister jones is gonna be a big star because of his name. it has nothing to do with his high school success, his athletic ability, etc. all the love is because he is named "mister." :rolleyes:

Yeah right...you of all people wanting a kid named Hannibal. :rolleyes:

When MM arrived at CU, I remember posters trying like mad to think up a nickname for him..."what are we going to call him?"...."Mosh"? Didn't stick.

But the "Italian Connection" sure was cool.

I think it is the new thing.

Adrian Peterson= AD (All Day)
Brandon "the beast" Marshall

I think you can blame Chris Berman
Eric "Sleeping with" Bieniemy

fify
Boomer came up with this one as EB was lighting it up in Cincy about the time the Julia Roberts movie of the similar title came out.

well all i have to say about mj he's a smart young man, why come to cu knowing you will not play...hagone is in love with speedy and if you have more than 3 star's you are not gonna play (meaning more than 10 carries a game) ds,bl....

If this thread wasn't about a de-commitment, it would be excellent. :huh::lol:

Back